Author Topic: Available seeds of rare species. **July 2017**  (Read 94927 times)

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Available seeds of rare species of the Amazon region.
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »
Vitor, I received my package Monday. After all the hassle and such a long time in transit, everything was beautifully packaged and germinated nicely! Great job Vitor, and thank you for the extra seeds!

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2014, 12:43:28 AM »
Hi friends.
New seeds available.

Vitor

Faldon

• south korea, pusan
    • View Profile
Good day Dear

is there any cacao species except normal cacao. (ex / Cupui, Cupuacu, moutain cacao, monkey cacao... etc)

Thanks.

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
Thanks Again Vitor!

fruit trees

• Brasil / São Paulo
    • View Profile
Hi Vitor.
How is the taste of Cassia leiandra?
Most species of Cassia does not have nice flavor.
Thanks

lori

• Saudi Arabia
    • View Profile
Hi!
I want Inga cinnamomea seeds, do you ship to Saudi Arabia?
How much does it cost?

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
Hi Fruit trees,
About Cassia leiandra , I can say that the taste is good and very interesting. Honestly is not comparable to any flavor. It is very consumed by indigenous Amazonian population, especially children.   The fruit is very large, it is possible to find fruit with length of 1 meters or more. Is about 3 centimeters in diameter, there is much variation in fruit size. The fruit is very beautiful and different aspect compared to other fruit species. It is a very interesting species for consumption, and believe it has potential for commercial cultivation.
I only know some species of Cassia, not sure other edible (good flavor) species of Cassia exists. It is possible to eat Cassia fistula for example, but the taste is not good, and has slightly laxative properties.
Cassia Leiandra has great ornamental potential, flowering is gorgeous and lasts for about 12 days or more.
The fruit is very much appreciated by many species of fish, including the indigenous is used as bait for fishing.
Best regards,

Vitor

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
Hi friends.
New species available.
Best regards,

Vitor

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
How is the taste of Byrsonima chrysophylla? What's the common name? Thank's! ;D

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
Hi Luis.
Generally for Byrsonima species is given the popular name of Murici.
The occurrence of the species B. chrysophylla is very limited, and is considered a rare species. Local people call the fruit of Murici pitanga.
It is a very aromatic fruit, the taste is very similar to other species of Byrsonima, but the fruit is one of the biggest of the genus. In my opinion Murici tastes like parmesan cheese, but most people have a different opinion. Byrsonima common species, are widely consumed in the Amazon region, and several parts of Brazil, like ice cream, juice, jelly and many other forms. The fruit flavor is unique, different from all native fruit species of Brazil.
It has very interesting flowering, can be used for landscaping.
Best regards,

Vitor

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • Russia, Saint-Petersburg, warmhouse
    • View Profile
First Duguetia megalocarpa seed sprouted.
Thank you Vitor!
YES WE SCAN NEW TROPICAL FRUITS

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
Hi Alex.
Good news.
Duguetia are difficult to germinate. Send news about the development of seedlings.
Best regards,

Vitor

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Vitor, the seeds arrived. Thank you very much!

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
Hi BMc.
Great news.
I hope the seeds germinate well.
Send news about the development of the seedlings.
Best regards,

Vitor

Taparyal

• Arvan Hashun
    • View Profile
This is my Couma guianensis, it hat sprouted long ago, but was cought in the seedcoat. My wife opend it, as she saw that the seedling got weak. It seems that the seedling had diffilulties with opening the coat due to the high ammount of latex.
Now I hope he will grow.
I am still very worrying

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
Hi Taparyal.
Do not worry, I believe Couma seedling will develop well. A friend planted some seeds Couma and also informing me about this development. Are species that I never planted, so it is important to know the difficulties we can propagate these rare species.
Keep us informed.
Best regards,

Vitor

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
I planted some Couma last year and only have one seedling to show for it and have had zero luck with mangaba. I also have a Duguetia curse and have planted a number of species and only had a couple of D.lanceolata come up. My bad luck extends to Byrsonima and I only had one come as well and no Lereyas. Come to think of it I have only had one platonia come up, a couple of Caryocars of different species and very very Annonas. My Amazon/Brazilian collection is dominated by a few where all seeds sprouted and about 25 singles or doubles.

I must be one of the worst propagators around and hope everyone does better.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
I planted some Couma last year and only have one seedling to show for it and have had zero luck with mangaba. I also have a Duguetia curse and have planted a number of species and only had a couple of D.lanceolata come up. My bad luck extends to Byrsonima and I only had one come as well and no Lereyas. Come to think of it I have only had one platonia come up, a couple of Caryocars of different species and very very Annonas. My Amazon/Brazilian collection is dominated by a few where all seeds sprouted and about 25 singles or doubles.

I must be one of the worst propagators around and hope everyone does better.

Mangaba falls under general category of cerrado curse. For the other ones you probably forgot to wear your rabbit's foot while planting?  ;)
Oscar

Taparyal

• Arvan Hashun
    • View Profile
Hi Taparyal.
Do not worry, I believe Couma seedling will develop well. A friend planted some seeds Couma and also informing me about this development. Are species that I never planted, so it is important to know the difficulties we can propagate these rare species.
Keep us informed.
Best regards,

Vitor

Dear Vitor, I really hope it will survive. I frear that the zone where the cotyledons are attached got bad (see the brown color). My wife said the seedling is still weak. I told to use some fungicide for security, although I prefer to void any chemicals. Eugenia longiracemosa is the first forming a seed. Till now conly Couma, Tetragastrid and the Eugenias sprouted, but Tetragastris seems still to be busy with the root.
It makes logic, as the rest of the seed You gave me mostly take time.
Have no experience with Duguetias, but I have a very good experience with Annona cherimola and always late but 99% germination.
Older seeds always take some months of time but still sprout.
Once I germinated n Annona after 3 years and an accidental washing mashine treatment :)
Intresting if Duguetias are more difficult to germinate ?!

With what I had always problems was Garcinia mangostana, so now I'll see how I do with other Garcinias.
Garcinia mangostana, Nephelium lappaceum and Calligonum aphyllum are my cursed plants, many times I tried I always failed.
Nephelium always forms a root and then dies, while its cousins (Dimocarpus longana and Litchi chinensis do very well).

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2014, 04:49:32 PM »

Alex, after reading this I checked my two D. Megalocarpa seeds. Both were cracking open along the blunt end. There is no sign of life from the Tetragastris, but two Eugenia longiracemosa are sending up shoots. I will post photos soon.

Taparyal

• Arvan Hashun
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2014, 04:58:56 PM »

Alex, after reading this I checked my two D. Megalocarpa seeds. Both were cracking open along the blunt end. There is no sign of life from the Tetragastris, but two Eugenia longiracemosa are sending up shoots. I will post photos soon.

Tetragastris seems to grow very slowly. Wait a little. My D.megalocarpa still didn't show signs of life, while Tetragastris is slowly developing its root. Eugenia longiracemosa seems the fastest and easiest to grow of the seeds Vitor offered here.

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
Hi Taparyal.
Sorry for the delay in responding.
Let's hope that Tetragastris will develop well.
Do not worry about Garcinias except mangostana, most species of Garcinia germinate well.
About Duguetia, is a genus with low germination rate.
An important factor in the development of Amazonian species, is the high rate humidity in the leaves and temperatures around 30 degrees Celsius. It is interesting to maintain the seedlings in these conditions until the seedlings reach one meter or more. And then try to acclimate the seedlings to local climatic conditions. And most importantly, maintain the seedlings always minimal shading of 50% in the early years of development. Then it is interesting to try to acclimate to full sun, so that the plant will grow less compared to growth in the forest.
Best regards,

Vitor

Taparyal

• Arvan Hashun
    • View Profile
Thank You dear Vitor!
Yes in fact, it looks also like not all seeds I got from Garcinia mangostana were fully matured, so maybe that is the reason too.
Tetragastris is developing I think. Last time I checked him when I moved the seeds to my wifes parents house. There the conditions are better than at my home. I'think temperature could reach between 25-27. 30 would be difficult a bit technically. I hope they will do well same way :). I put them in half-shade. The seeds that still didn'T sprout I have in a mixture of perlite and vermiculite, to avoid fungus (duguetias, endopleura and garcinias).
Hope to succeed, specially with the rarest ones.
Next time You'll be out in the forests, please remember my mania with Strychnos species, if you should meet any :)

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • Russia, Saint-Petersburg, warmhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2014, 11:30:25 AM »

I have one Duguetia seed with 2 cm root and two cracking Duguetia seeds. Developing slowly.

Taparyal,
It seems Duguetia megalocarpa seeds needs "living" soil and sufficiently resistant to fungi.
All my "successful" Duguetia seeds developes in Strawberry Guava pot.
YES WE SCAN NEW TROPICAL FRUITS

Taparyal

• Arvan Hashun
    • View Profile
Eugenia longiracemosa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk