Author Topic: aguaricará, sete capotes, campomanesia guazumifolia  (Read 5433 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
aguaricará, sete capotes, campomanesia guazumifolia
« on: March 09, 2018, 07:13:15 PM »
no fruit fly thanks to the traps

one of the best fruits I ever had, it reminded me guaviyú, oranges and jaboticaba, acid and sweet

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: aguaricará, sete capotes, campomanesia guazumifolia
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »
Interesting how mixed the reviews are on this UFO-fruit relative.  E.g. one of the quotes in my list concerning it is: "Pretty plant with rather nice white flowers.  However, the fruit is small and has a pasty consistency, with quite a few seeds and there's nothing remarkable about its taste. You can safely skip it, unless you are a collector with lots of space."  Lots of remarks about its texture, generally negative (most said sandy rather than pasty), although I see a number of favourable remarks about its taste (e.g. "very good orange" "reminds me of the feijoa").
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:08:02 PM »
Interesting how mixed the reviews are on this UFO-fruit relative.  E.g. one of the quotes in my list concerning it is: "Pretty plant with rather nice white flowers.  However, the fruit is small and has a pasty consistency, with quite a few seeds and there's nothing remarkable about its taste. You can safely skip it, unless you are a collector with lots of space."  Lots of remarks about its texture, generally negative (most said sandy rather than pasty), although I see a number of favourable remarks about its taste (e.g. "very good orange" "reminds me of the feijoa").

There are lot of variations on this species, for instance this green type one fruited at 4 or 5 years old, while another one at my parents house did it at 3 years old and the fruits are yellow, not green. The taste was always good to me, one of the best fruits I had. You can say it has sandy texture but I love it, not ugly like a sandy apple at all, more like a pear.

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »
Great review!
I'm really looking forward to grow this one. They are hard to come by in Europe and seed germination is not very predictable.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »
Great review!
I'm really looking forward to grow this one. They are hard to come by in Europe and seed germination is not very predictable.

Yes, maybe we should sow as soon as we eat the fruit? I will try this year!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 04:05:34 PM »
following
Har

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 04:33:43 PM »
Yes, that is a great idea. But it also may be a good experiment to dry a few seeds at the same time and rehydrate them after a month. I don’t really understand what makes them germinate. I tried 3 times to germinate a batch of five to ten seeds of these. Fresh seeds in a small container with bottom heat, like I germinate all Myrtaceae. But twice nothing came up and the last time it took them 2 to 4 months for three to germinate, of which two died.
It is an interesting Campomanesia because it grows in colder climates with some sort of winter, so I started wondering wether it needs a small cool period, or even to be dried and rehydrated to start germinating. If you could do a small experiment with three different batches of seeds - if you have enough seeds, that would be very helpful to figure this out.

Feijoa and Ugni - the other coldhardy Myrtaceae all tolerate to be dried and rehydrated. But they do sprout better when just freshly sown.

Enjoy the fruits!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 05:13:43 PM »
Also try refrigerating some dried seeds and some fresh seeds.
Har

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 09:44:35 PM »
Yes, that is a great idea. But it also may be a good experiment to dry a few seeds at the same time and rehydrate them after a month. I don’t really understand what makes them germinate. I tried 3 times to germinate a batch of five to ten seeds of these. Fresh seeds in a small container with bottom heat, like I germinate all Myrtaceae. But twice nothing came up and the last time it took them 2 to 4 months for three to germinate, of which two died.
It is an interesting Campomanesia because it grows in colder climates with some sort of winter, so I started wondering wether it needs a small cool period, or even to be dried and rehydrated to start germinating. If you could do a small experiment with three different batches of seeds - if you have enough seeds, that would be very helpful to figure this out.

Feijoa and Ugni - the other coldhardy Myrtaceae all tolerate to be dried and rehydrated. But they do sprout better when just freshly sown.

Enjoy the fruits!

I am tempted to sow your 10 sete capotes seeds now on vermiculite... if you want to, I can send you 5 dry seeds and 5 wet seeds...

pm

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »

Enjoy the fruits!

I am tempted to sow your 10 sete capotes seeds now on vermiculite... if you want to, I can send you 5 dry seeds and 5 wet seeds...

pm

I will send tomorrow!

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
Here an update on the seeds of C Guazumifolia.

In April I received from Marcos two seeds that were dried and eight seeds that were kept moist. Both batches were sown in a small container with normal potting soil and placed in a small germinator with bottom heat in front of a window.

They both did absolutely nothing for months, while all my other Myrtaceae seeds sprouted and grew away.

And then last week out of nothing one seedling emerged from each pot. Two or three days apart from each other.
So far 1 out of the 2 dried seeds germinated and 1 out of the 8 moist seeds. They just really seem to take their time. 3 months at least.

Very happy to have these going and as I suspected they might be pretty ok with drying out.

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 11:42:28 PM »
Here an update on the seeds of C Guazumifolia.

In April I received from Marcos two seeds that were dried and eight seeds that were kept moist. Both batches were sown in a small container with normal potting soil and placed in a small germinator with bottom heat in front of a window.

They both did absolutely nothing for months, while all my other Myrtaceae seeds sprouted and grew away.

And then last week out of nothing one seedling emerged from each pot. Two or three days apart from each other.
So far 1 out of the 2 dried seeds germinated and 1 out of the 8 moist seeds. They just really seem to take their time. 3 months at least.

Very happy to have these going and as I suspected they might be pretty ok with drying out.

Very thanks for the update, Solko! my ones didnt sprouted yet and a collector from Misiones told me that they are not easy to sprout (she takes seedlings directly from the forest to sell...)

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 11:46:04 PM »
Mine is in a 15 gallon and flowers great, but no fruit hold. How cold has yours been able to handle? Is it in the ground?

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 12:44:14 PM »
Mine is in a 15 gallon and flowers great, but no fruit hold. How cold has yours been able to handle? Is it in the ground?

Is it in full sun? It needs sun to hold more fruits.

Our trees are ground at my garden, -3º C with no damage at all, and -6ºC with very little damage, just some new leaves and not so much... holding fruits after -6º C

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »

Is it in full sun? It needs sun to hold more fruits.

Our trees are ground at my garden, -3º C with no damage at all, and -6ºC with very little damage, just some new leaves and not so much... holding fruits after -6º
Good to know, my be should do fine once in the ground.
Thanks

Heinrich

• Bavaria, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 05:53:09 PM »
Luckily, I grow 2 sete capotes seedlings. Still very small, but exciting. This is my experience: 10 seeds from Marcos arrived in May 2017. No germination in 2017. I complained to Marcos about it and Marcos send my 10 seeds for free with my order in 2018. Thank you Marcos for your generosity. 10 sete capotes seeds were sown again in April 2018. In May 2018, 3 sete capotes seeds germinated, sown in 2017. This was unexpected to me. The seed tray was in a corner of the glass house, regularly to occasionally watered, but somehow neglected. As I discovered the seedlings, one of the seedlings was too dry. This seedling didn´t manage to get out of the seed coat and died. The seed tray was inside a glass house for the whole year. Warm to hot during the summer and not much above freezing temperature for 3 months during winter. Because 3 seeds germinated in spring, after experiencing cold temperatures, this indicates that stratification may be favourable in germinating sete capote seeds. No germination yet, of the seeds sown in 2018.

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 07:02:50 AM »
Hi Heinrich,

Thank you for sharing your experience and adding some extra data points. Your story sort of confirms my expectations and I had a very similar thing happen to me, except that last year from 10 seeds that I planted in March three sprouted, but only in August, after the pot had been half forgotten and given up on and had dried out and been rewatered several times during the hot summer. I was quite surprised to see them sprout after such a long time, hot temperatures and these cycles of drying out and rehydrating, and so I guessed that they might be more temperate in their nature and benefit from some sort of stratification process. Could be cold stratification or could be by drying and rehydrating. The ones that are sprouting now over here have been in pots that I have allowed to dry out slightly before rewatering them again.
A third seedling is sprouting now.
Good luck with the seeds of this year. I won’t throw the ones away that don’t sprout this year, but keep them til next!

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 09:02:25 AM »
Hi Heinrich,

Thank you for sharing your experience and adding some extra data points. Your story sort of confirms my expectations and I had a very similar thing happen to me, except that last year from 10 seeds that I planted in March three sprouted, but only in August, after the pot had been half forgotten and given up on and had dried out and been rewatered several times during the hot summer. I was quite surprised to see them sprout after such a long time, hot temperatures and these cycles of drying out and rehydrating, and so I guessed that they might be more temperate in their nature and benefit from some sort of stratification process. Could be cold stratification or could be by drying and rehydrating. The ones that are sprouting now over here have been in pots that I have allowed to dry out slightly before rewatering them again.
A third seedling is sprouting now.
Good luck with the seeds of this year. I won’t throw the ones away that don’t sprout this year, but keep them til next!

Hi, how are they doing now? Cheers

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 06:04:48 PM »
I’ve kept the small pots with the seeds inside this winter - it gets to -4 Celsius in my I heated greenhouse. And then I moved them to the greenhouse in April to get still some cold nights and to warm up with the other plants. Kept them watered and never let them dry out entirely. But no movement yet. Nothing more than the three seedlings that germinated last summer so far. If some new ones sprout I’ll let you know.
Maybe I should have kept them in the fridge for two months this winter?
Who knows. Still very happy to grow this plant!

Solko

Heinrich

• Bavaria, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 06:27:17 PM »
One seed germinated in April, from the batch 2018, treated the same way as 2017. Now, I grow three sete capotes.

Heinrich

• Bavaria, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 05:47:58 AM »
One germinating seed, out of ten, doesn’t give strong support for the theory of cold treatment. Now, I think other factors are more important for the germination in Campomanesia. Also, Guabiroba, Campomanesia xanthocarpa, treated the same way, didn´t give any germination.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:45:39 PM by Heinrich »