Author Topic: My "4 in 1" (7 in 1) Mango tree  (Read 19150 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: My "4 in 1" (7 in 1) Mango tree
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 02:31:25 PM »
Very impressive!

I also have two mango trees, so far they are 3-in one. waiting for good budwood.
1. I got manila rootstock that has Nam Doc Mai, Maha Chanok, and Amarpali on it.
2. I got alphonso, Mallika, and Amarpali on it.

I want to get few more varieties if I can get scion wood, would love to get few more asian varieties on it.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 04:16:39 PM »
Found this old thread while looking for info on topworking my large unknown mango trees and making them coctails. Here is that 300 variety coctail tree Oscar was talking about:  http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gardening/128235-sachin-mango-and-aishwarya-guava.html

Nice quote from the grafter:  “Mangoes are my passion,” he readily acknowledges. “They are more important to me than my children.”

I'm sure that if I had children I would value them nearly as much as my trees and my dogs.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 05:05:40 PM »
Found this old thread while looking for info on topworking my large unknown mango trees and making them coctails. Here is that 300 variety coctail tree Oscar was talking about:  http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gardening/128235-sachin-mango-and-aishwarya-guava.html

Nice quote from the grafter:  “Mangoes are my passion,” he readily acknowledges. “They are more important to me than my children.”

I'm sure that if I had children I would value them nearly as much as my trees and my dogs.

I had to read that quote twice to make sure I got it right :)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 12:14:02 AM »
Sleepdoc, Is the greenish yellow (polyembrionic) mango that you brought to Harry's house the day we met for the tasting called Kun See? If that was the one.... could I beg for some budwood? The Maha Chanok graft took ! and I would love to graft that onto the other side to make a 2 variety tree!!
Let me know....that mango was great!

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 06:45:26 AM »
I have a Lancetilla that I want to turn into a cocktail tree. Thanks for the inspiration. Now I just need to learn more about grafting and find a source of budwood of cultivars that I don't have.
JC

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 07:31:12 AM »
Sleepdoc, Is the greenish yellow (polyembrionic) mango that you brought to Harry's house the day we met for the tasting called Kun See? If that was the one.... could I beg for some budwood? The Maha Chanok graft took ! and I would love to graft that onto the other side to make a 2 variety tree!!

Yes, I believe the one you liked is the Khun See.  Iirc, the ones I brought that day were in varying stages of ripeness.  My favorite stage for that mango is the partially ripe stage, although it is also very good fully green or fully ripe.  It has a nice crunchy fiberless texture that is quite unique.  Completely fiberless and easy to eat all the way down to the seed.  They are my sons favorite mango, and maybe the most unique in my collection.

You are welcome to stop by and load up on budwood anytime.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 07:51:50 AM »

Yes, I believe the one you liked is the Khun See.  Iirc, the ones I brought that day were in varying stages of ripeness.  My favorite stage for that mango is the partially ripe stage, although it is also very good fully green or fully ripe.  It has a nice crunchy fiberless texture that is quite unique.  Completely fiberless and easy to eat all the way down to the seed.  They are my sons favorite mango, and maybe the most unique in my collection.

Thanks! let me know when the buds are swelling and ready and I will come get a few pieces! Can you email contact info/number? marinrands@aol.com
I am so happy the Maha Chanok budwood I got at Harry's that day took and is growing really well.
Do you know how the growth habit of the Khun See compares to the Maha Chanok?

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »

Do you know how the growth habit of the Khun See compares to the Maha Chanok?

I would say the Khun See is a bit more vigorous.  About medium in growth habit from what I can tell.

swfruittreeaddict

• az/ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 08:47:32 PM »
I have heard that mango cocktail trees dont do well beacuse one type always becomes dominant. Is this true or false?

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 08:52:19 PM »
So how is this tree doing now days Sleepdoc? Been curious to try a multi graft tree since I have very limited space. But zero idea how to start.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 11:51:29 PM »
Funny I posted here in 2013 and had 2 mango trees that were 3 in 1. Since then I have grown to 22 trees with over 100 varieties, all cocktail. One cocktail has over 40 varieties. Will post pictures once we get blooms out of the way.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2018, 02:51:07 PM »
Funny I posted here in 2013 and had 2 mango trees that were 3 in 1. Since then I have grown to 22 trees with over 100 varieties, all cocktail. One cocktail has over 40 varieties. Will post pictures once we get blooms out of the way.

Mercy. 

I need to catch up...

I haven’t found a better green mango than MKS.  Great ripe too.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »
Beautiful tree sleepdoc.  I’m looking for Mun Khun See seeds( preferably) or scions in case anyone is selling. We have issues with grafted trees being overly enthusiastic about flowering due to our cold weather here in San Diego.

I’ve also got a few multigraft Mango trees. Most my fruit trees are multigraft in order to save space. Brad and I decided to plant mostly single varieties at the orchard in order to avoid confusion with guests and when harvesting fruit and scions.

The varieties should be grouped together based on vigor and growth habit in order to avoid one variety from taking over.

Here’s a small mango tree I recently multigrafted. My daughters showcasing the tree. They were dressed up for mother’s day

Simon

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2018, 09:48:50 PM »
Nice, I am trying something like this and hope my trees are as successful.
I top worked one by cutting it down and grafting on the new growth, two others I grafted on to several selected branches.  None with 7 varieties though.  I have years to go to see fruit from the grafts but it is really encouraging to see your tree.
Perhaps I should do one more :)

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2018, 08:43:56 AM »
beautiful girls Simon. :)
Is there a list somewhere that groups the mangoes by vigor and growth?
I have a Carrie that is doing well, and 2 1/2 years on the ground and was thinking to graft Nan Doc Mai to it. but I also have 6 month to one year old  planted trees, currently I have: Carrie, Lemon Zest, Valencia Pride, Malika, Kesar  and Beverly. I also have in the ground but struggling: Coco Nut Cream, Pina Colada, and Fruit Punch and on 25 gal pots I have  Southern Blush and Raposa.

I have ordered Nan Doc Mai, Jumbo Kesar, Super Julie and Maha Chanok scion wood that I want to graft to any of those trees or graft into seedlings I have in pots, the only problem is that I don't have any more room to plant them in the ground and would have to stay in large pots :(
any suggestions how to pair them up? Any advised its greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced everyone!

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »
A few years back I grafted Carrie onto a very robust spicy tasting East Indian. The EI had three strong fruiting branches when the Carrie graft took on a newly erupted branch from the EI. After three years the EI branches died one at a time while the Carrie took over the tree sucking the life out of the EI.

I'm wondering if there are some mango cultivars that are too aggressive to cohabitate the same tree with other cultivars?

Regards,

Gary

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2018, 02:24:18 PM »
beautiful girls Simon. :)
Is there a list somewhere that groups the mangoes by vigor and growth?
I have a Carrie that is doing well, and 2 1/2 years on the ground and was thinking to graft Nan Doc Mai to it. but I also have 6 month to one year old  planted trees, currently I have: Carrie, Lemon Zest, Valencia Pride, Malika, Kesar  and Beverly. I also have in the ground but struggling: Coco Nut Cream, Pina Colada, and Fruit Punch and on 25 gal pots I have  Southern Blush and Raposa.

I have ordered Nan Doc Mai, Jumbo Kesar, Super Julie and Maha Chanok scion wood that I want to graft to any of those trees or graft into seedlings I have in pots, the only problem is that I don't have any more room to plant them in the ground and would have to stay in large pots :(
any suggestions how to pair them up? Any advised its greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced everyone!

Thanks tropicalnut,

Here is the ultimate mango list that lists varieties along with information on growth habit.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1586.msg21809#msg21809

Simon

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2018, 02:40:12 PM »
So how is this tree doing now days Sleepdoc? Been curious to try a multi graft tree since I have very limited space. But zero idea how to start.

Wow, this one goes way back  ... Tree has done quite well over the years, but my yard did get hammered by Irma.  As a result, my Khun See cocktail tree has only a couple mango's on it this year. 

Overall, I have had very good success with multigrafting mango trees.  I have now multi grafted a number of mango's, and I will continue to do so in the future.

Beautiful tree sleepdoc.  I’m looking for Mun Khun See seeds( preferably) or scions in case anyone is selling. We have issues with grafted trees being overly enthusiastic about flowering due to our cold weather here in San Diego.

I’ve also got a few multigraft Mango trees. Most my fruit trees are multigraft in order to save space. Brad and I decided to plant mostly single varieties at the orchard in order to avoid confusion with guests and when harvesting fruit and scions.

The varieties should be grouped together based on vigor and growth habit in order to avoid one variety from taking over.

Here’s a small mango tree I recently multigrafted. My daughters showcasing the tree. They were dressed up for mother’s day

Simon

Simon, I can definitely send you some Budwood if you would like.  I may be able to get you a seed or two, depending on several factors.  Irma did a number on my yard and trees so my production this year is limited.  Only a few MKS on the tree.

Send me a PM if you need anything.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »
Thank you very much Simon.
Unfortunately the kinds I have most of them the info is limited. I guess I need to experiment! :)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 11:52:53 AM »
Thanks Sleepdoc, you got pm.

Tropical nut, see this thread for more information on multigraft Mango trees. Patrick is very knowledgeable and I’m pretty sure he did some research before assembling his multigraft trees
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5196.0

Simon

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2018, 02:01:58 PM »
Thank you Simon.
It gives me hope. :)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2018, 03:11:21 PM »
Tree has done quite well over the years, but my yard did get hammered by Irma.  As a result, my Khun See cocktail tree has only a couple mango's on it this year. 

My production this year is limited.  Only a few MKS on the tree.

I'm trying to figure out why my existing trees have less this year also & about 3 weeks later than last year and agree that Irma & taking off leaves/limbs is probably a big factor.

I do like to multi graft; however a drawback appears to be that my most liked graft limb sometimes is not producing in a given year vs. the other graft species...

Do you also grow early species & do you have any ripe yet and is your crop weeks later vs. last yr. also?