Author Topic: Anybody familiar with Shamus O'Learys YouTube videos on growing tropical fruits  (Read 3151 times)

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
  Shamus has some really good videos on growing tropical fruit trees in Phoenix. I found these videos to offer good advice since my summers in Visalia are close to the extreme heat that they get there. He also does multiple videos with Jake Mace . I encourage any who are interested to check them out.

William

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Yes, they have been discussed in past threads.
- Rob

Bananaizme

• View Profile
    Thanks Rob for pointing that out. I'll read some of those past threads. I was impressed with his accomplishments considering the harsh summers that the plants have to go through.

William

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
That's where i got the idea to purchase a Sunrise Mango Tree, He has one that took a good Frost and came back pretty strong..

Ed
Zone 10

Bananaizme

• View Profile
  Hi  Ed

I have seen the jake mace video planting Antonio but haven't came across the video that your referring to. He has one video of a Carrie mango in a 65 gallon pot. It's a beautiful tree and has inspired me to do the same thing with my Carrie and some of the other condo types that I have. Thanks for the tip about the video regarding the sunrise mango, I'll search for it.

William

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
These guys make excellent videos great information. Gary(Mangodog) made some videos on how he protects his young mangos in Palm Springs, do a forum search and check them out William

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
ive seen several
they seem to zone push quite well also.
and use some good permaculture techniques

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
With good soil, i think u can grow anything in the heat.

Bhkkatemoya

• San diego
    • View Profile
I love watching shamus and Jake mace video.  Great guys with lots of useful information on planting fruit trees.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
I have watched his videos and they are great and informative! I have picked up several trees from his nursery on a few occasions. His nursery and trees are beautiful and trees are healthy and super high quality. I am a completely satisfied customer of his.
- Mark

Bananaizme

• View Profile
 I seen the one where he transplanted a sugar apple. I was amazed at how well the tree did with high heat albeit , he does use shade for the hottest part of the day and his trees never want for nutrients.  It just surprised me that with the lack of humidity that it did so well.

William

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
Microclimate is the key here in Phoenix, most tropicals will do well as long as they get afternoon shade in the summer, especially young trees. Plus that tree is most likely a new one he just got from Florida that's why it looks so nice and no sun burn on the leaves yet.

Bananaizme

• View Profile
    Actually he said that it was tucked away in a corner and kinda scraggly looking then he added all the special Shamus planting mix , azomite, worm castings , Mycorrizea , fertilizer Ect.  It looked very healthy in the video. Wondering what his chances are of getting fruit in such a dry climate ? I'm curious because mine is similar in the summer although not quite extreme.

William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk