Author Topic: Atemoya breeding the quest for the best  (Read 2994 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Atemoya breeding the quest for the best
« on: November 01, 2019, 05:09:27 AM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-07-30/custard-apple-variety-research-a-long-road/11362214

Things are heating up with atemoya breeding in SE Queensland.New varieties have to be excellent to push out the likes of Paxton prolific.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-01-02/custard-apple-new-variety-struggles-to-meet-demand/9282268

It seems there is always another new great variety.

Some more general Annona and atemoya reporting

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya breeding the quest for the best
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 05:39:45 AM »
https://www.horticulture.com.au/globalassets/laserfiche/assets/project-reports/cu11000/cu11000-final-report-complete-2.pdf
Looks like the link to a report on the biggest Annona breeding program in the world didn't come through the first time.There have been thousands of interspecific Annona crosses tested and new lines put through their paces.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 06:07:32 AM »
Personally never tasted anything better than KJ Pinks, if only they could reduce the seed count of this strain I would be very satisfied.

But what is it with you Australians and your eugeno-centric approach to breeding and the "quest for the best". It's almost as if you are motivated to ameliorate the skeleton in the closet of Australia's own "founding stock." Please stop the mongrelization of the Annona genus for your Galtonian ends. Mieschlings like me are personally offended with this unbridled pollen hacking agenda that is flooding the public plasm with Franken fruits of no humility.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 06:28:25 AM »
How true MS give me a crab apple instead of a pink lady any day. We are treating Annonas like citrus.KJ Pinks is a real mutant and in fact the same thing as Paxton prolific. Its mother pinks mammoth can be almost seedless and may be preferred by some who like next to no seeds.
In reality maybe only one out every 5000 crosses trialled will be released. Humility is an important quality for annonas and I am sure the new types will respect other annonas and not try to take over.
In seriousness there might be bits and pieces in that final report relating to pest management or rootstocks that will interest Annona growers.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 09:29:27 AM »
Personally never tasted anything better than KJ Pinks, if only they could reduce the seed count of this strain I would be very satisfied.

But what is it with you Australians and your eugeno-centric approach to breeding and the "quest for the best". It's almost as if you are motivated to ameliorate the skeleton in the closet of Australia's own "founding stock." Please stop the mongrelization of the Annona genus for your Galtonian ends. Mieschlings like me are personally offended with this unbridled pollen hacking agenda that is flooding the public plasm with Franken fruits of no humility.
Tongue in cheek?  Very sophisticated humor here.  I love atemoyas!  Let's grow more in Florida.  Mango and atemoya should be #1 and #2 in South Florida.  (Guanabana/soursop #3.)  Laurel wilt has me worried when it comes to avocado.  Lychee should be grown more in south-central Florida.  Persimmon in north Florida.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 09:51:02 AM by johnb51 »
John

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 11:03:48 AM »
Hey Mike,

Thanks for all the information regarding the new Atemoya varieties being developed in Australia. There are a few of us here working on backyard scale breeding projects but it’s going to be a long road ahead for us.

Simon

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 11:49:56 AM »
CU11000 report is on older research cycle.
There is another cycle done in 2018.
I couldn’t find the more recent report.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-07-30/custard-apple-variety-research-a-long-road/11362214

Things are heating up with atemoya breeding in SE Queensland.New varieties have to be excellent to push out the likes of Paxton prolific.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-01-02/custard-apple-new-variety-struggles-to-meet-demand/9282268

It seems there is always another new great variety.

Some more general Annona and atemoya reporting

they need to breed sabor and pierce with their top atemoya to create a monster.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 11:57:09 AM »
Hey Mike,

Thanks for all the information regarding the new Atemoya varieties being developed in Australia. There are a few of us here working on backyard scale breeding projects but it’s going to be a long road ahead for us.

Simon

I want to create a hybrid of red custard apple with Pierce cross, damn I cant get any red atemoya to take. In spring I will seek out more cuttings.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 05:30:35 PM »
Red atemoya as in 48-17?

The Australian finished 3rd generation backcrossing  48-17 offspring.
They are hoping to get decent taste this 3rd round.
I’m still looking for the report.

The San Pablo in the 48-17 tainted offsprings.

Have you tried crossing Pierce with Kampong Mauve?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 05:55:01 PM »
Nearly all the top new lines developed have a pinks mammoth (or derived atemoya of pinks mammoth) parent crossed with seedless sugar apple,Fino de Jete cherimoya or another atemoya of pinks mammoth style. Rejecting all that don't fruit in 3 years is a bit harsh.

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 09:53:44 PM »
Is there a reason they predominantly grow atemoya instead of cherimoya in Australia? Asian market tastes?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 10:54:16 PM »
Is there a reason they predominantly grow atemoya instead of cherimoya in Australia? Asian market tastes?
Is there a suitable climate for cherimoyas anywhere in Oz?  Mike?
John

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 11:06:50 PM »
Atemoyas have always been more popular here and cherimoya is more of a novelty fruit that don't fetch the same prices. Atemoyas have fewer seeds, usually bigger fruit, have smaller trees and are more productive. With market research they don't score as high in taste tests as PP,PM,MG and HW that are the preferred atemoyas. Asians pay crazy prices for 1kg plus, low seed atemoyas so that would drive it as well. Even with the new crosses with Fino de Jete cherimoya tested, the pinks mammoth style flavour is looked for in the taste rankings.
I know many people on the forum prefer cherimoya to atemoya but in a market sense atemoyas are more in demand and sell for a higher price.Individual pinks mammoth fruit over say 1.5kg from the best almost seedless lines fetch crazy prices in asia.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 07:48:45 AM »
Atemoyas have always been more popular here and cherimoya is more of a novelty fruit that don't fetch the same prices. Atemoyas have fewer seeds, usually bigger fruit, have smaller trees and are more productive. With market research they don't score as high in taste tests as PP,PM,MG and HW that are the preferred atemoyas. Asians pay crazy prices for 1kg plus, low seed atemoyas so that would drive it as well. Even with the new crosses with Fino de Jete cherimoya tested, the pinks mammoth style flavour is looked for in the taste rankings.
I know many people on the forum prefer cherimoya to atemoya but in a market sense atemoyas are more in demand and sell for a higher price.Individual pinks mammoth fruit over say 1.5kg from the best almost seedless lines fetch crazy prices in asia.
And as far as chermoya-growing climates?  The answer would seem to be yes.  But atemoya is not as particular in its demands?
John

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 05:56:11 PM »
People ,,prefer,, atemoya because they cant cultivate Cherimoya wich is a superior fruit but subtropical not tropical.
In those tropical countryes cherimoya doesnt fruit because it doesnt get enough chilling hours so they try to breed atemoyas to have a substitute of Cherimoya.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 08:14:50 PM »
People ,,prefer,, atemoya because they cant cultivate Cherimoya wich is a superior fruit but subtropical not tropical.
In those tropical countryes cherimoya doesnt fruit because it doesnt get enough chilling hours so they try to breed atemoyas to have a substitute of Cherimoya.

There are plenty of suitable cherimoya growing areas in Australia, that isn't the reason (at least not here).

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 02:33:11 AM »
Its just about maximising profits by getting high productivity and the fruit that fetch the highest prices.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 04:00:29 AM »
 Bays, Booth, Burton's Wonder, Chaffey, Kaitaia Special, Loma, Pierce, Pink, Reretai, Sabor and White cherimoya varieties were trialled in the 1970's for commercial development.