Author Topic: Anyone with good fruit set on either Ugly Betty or Sunrise?  (Read 5711 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone with good fruit set on either Ugly Betty or Sunrise?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 07:07:54 PM »
Hey everyone, just to clarify things a bit, I used the nutrient yeast which is dead. You can purchase these nutritional yeast supplements online or at health food stores but I wouldn’t buy the expensive stuff. Basically it’s just dead yeast which has lots of different B vitamins along with Sulfur, Magnesium, Zinc, Iron and other minerals.

If you cant find it, you can just take bakers yeast and cook it.

Here’s a link to a random yeast supplement I found online but it gives you an idea of what’s found in the yeast that may have plant growth promoting properties.

I have not tried using live/activated bakers yeast but it may work.

Simon

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 07:10:15 PM »
Here’s the link.
https://shop.drberg.com/nutritional-yeast-regular?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NewShoppingRaza&utm_term=NutritionalYeastTablets&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjpjkBRDRARIsAKv-0O3uBVzOpf0HmYP5QDWwXnDF94U6dy17S1KuL3rX75D8oE94h4yeIlQaAqwfEALw_wcB

I wouldn’t buy the yeast that I linked above because it’s too expensive. It’s the dead yeast hulls with all the nutrients you want.

Simon

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 08:24:45 PM »
Judging by the many little fruit set on my grafted section, Venus is setting like no other in my yard. No way it will hold all of them, but excellent thus far. A nice later season mango as well.

Venus has been great in my yard as well, great fruit set and very good late season mango. It is a much slower grower compared to UB.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 09:18:54 PM »
Hey everyone, just to clarify things a bit, I used the nutrient yeast which is dead. You can purchase these nutritional yeast supplements online or at health food stores but I wouldn’t buy the expensive stuff. Basically it’s just dead yeast which has lots of different B vitamins along with Sulfur, Magnesium, Zinc, Iron and other minerals.

If you cant find it, you can just take bakers yeast and cook it.

Here’s a link to a random yeast supplement I found online but it gives you an idea of what’s found in the yeast that may have plant growth promoting properties.

I have not tried using live/activated bakers yeast but it may work.

Simon

Ah-ha!  And now I see the paper calls it yeast extract.

That makes it sound more like Vegemite or Marmite. In fact, I have a jar of Vegemite and it's called "Vegemite Yeast Extract" and the first ingredient is yeast extract. However, it is extremely salty (salt is second ingredient, i think.) May or may not be wise to use.

Another idea might be Nutritional Yeast, sold in health food stores, which is flaky yellow/brown stuff that has lots of B vitamins, etc, but does NOT have salt.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 09:45:38 PM »
All my trees have little loafs popping up everywhere.

Glad Simon cleared that one up. I'm not one to read the instructions very well, if at all.

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 11:53:38 PM »
I had three sunrise trees and one ugly betty that gave me tons of fruit last year.  I am in Brevard county. The fruit were clean and this year they are just now flowering. The sunrise trees in particular were very productive and had a pretty extended season.

How is the fruit on both of those?

Very good..

If you like more of the spicey/piney tasting mangoes like carrie or angie, than these will be right up your alley.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 07:36:56 AM »

Guava mango fertilizer only