Author Topic: Goodbye Pina Colada Mango Tree  (Read 36213 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Goodbye Pina Colada Mango Tree
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »
I was optimistic when I planted my Pina Colada mango tree.  It has been in the ground for about two years.  It had a full bloom this year and zero fruit set.  In comparison other trees of the same age have produced over 30 mangos.  I plan on giving Pina Colada another year, but I am doubtful of the tree's ability to be productive in my yard.  In preparation to say farewell, I grafted two scions of a Carrie mango to the trunk of the Pina Colada. 

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye Pina Colada Mango Tree
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »
 ::)

Patience Grasshopper.   You need to give tgese trees at leadt 5 years.  If this is your thinking, you better get that axe out andbuy a bunch of pine trees.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:03:27 PM »

Patience Grasshopper.   You need to give tgese trees at leadt 5 years.  If this is your thinking, you better get that axe out andbuy a bunch of pine trees.

Do you have any pictures of a productive Pina Colada mango tree?
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:09:37 PM »

I generally go to 5 years on grafted trees, seedlings get extra leeway. If it's a mango you really want, I'd persist with it a little longer. You can force them to flower with potassium nitrate as a foliar spray, but since you said flowering isn't the issue I'm not sure if this will help. I'd still give this a shot irregardless--like the song says, strange things happen everyday....

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:12:42 PM »
Clear all that grass away from your pina colada tree. That probably ain't helping the tree's nutrient uptake.

Alexi

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »

I generally go to 5 years on grafted trees, seedlings get extra leeway. If it's a mango you really want, I'd persist with it a little longer. You can force them to flower with potassium nitrate as a foliar spray, but since you said flowering isn't the issue I'm not sure if this will help. I'd still give this a shot irregardless--like the song says, strange things happen everyday....

Right now I'm just making it a cocktail mango tree by attaching Carrie scions.  I plan on giving it another season.  The Pina Colada seems to have a large number of male flowers, which reduces fruit.  The flowers also seem susceptible to anthracnose.  There are other reasons to remove it, it is a small mango with a large seed.  I plan on giving it another year though to prove me wrong. 

I would be very interested in seeing a picture of a productive Pina Colada mango tree.
www.FLMangos.com

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
Will you be making a cocktail mango tree or totally kill it if it does not perform?

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »
Will you be making a cocktail mango tree or totally kill it if it does not perform?

I am currently attaching scions to make a cocktail mango tree.  If the Pina Colada doesn't perform, I can just cut off most (or all) of the Pina Colada limbs to make it a Carrie tree, so that I use the existing root structure. 
www.FLMangos.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 11:40:55 PM »
Yah, some trees require several years before a judgement call can be made. The glenn is famously a workhorse mango, yet I know at least 2 folks who've had to wait several years for theirs to bear. If you had a 1/10 acre lot and you only had space for 2 or 3 trees, then I could see why you would be getting antsy. But I remember you having a pretty good sized lot, so removing the tree this early in the game doesn't seem like it's going to serve much of a purpose.
Jeff  :-)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 12:51:56 AM »
I nearly killed myself today digging my mango bed. I dug up the f&*^%$ mains power cable! Lucky it is inside poly tube, otherwise my goose would have been cooked!

Remember to be careful when digging guys--don't be a dickhead, like me.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 07:52:04 AM »
Just wait.  Don't do it. 

You have plenty of trees, and in the future variety will be more important than production.  Soon you'll have more mango than you can deal with.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I have around 20-25 varieties of mangos in ground, so I'm not too worried about lack of variety.  Honestly, it is too many varieties; it is hard to remember when a mango is ripe with too many varieties.  I would like each of the trees to reliably bear fruit, so when I give tours, I can give guests fruit.  Does anyone have a picture of a productive Pina Colada mango tree?  A picture of a productive Pina Colada mango tree would really help.
www.FLMangos.com

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 09:34:21 AM »
Mr. Clean,

I have heard someone say its of the tastiest mangos ever. Give it a chance. YOU can be the first guy to post a picture of a productive tree, tell us how awesome the fruit is... and make us jealous.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 09:43:35 AM »
Does anyone have a picture of a productive Pina Colada mango tree?  A picture of a productive Pina Colada mango tree would really help.

My PC is very productive. A closeup from last year. Delicious fruit that do taste a bit like a pina colada and with a pineappley smell and taste.

another photo

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:45:40 AM by zands »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 10:07:08 AM »
Does anyone have a picture of a productive Pina Colada mango tree?  A picture of a productive Pina Colada mango tree would really help.

My PC is very productive. A closeup from last year. Delicious fruit that do taste a bit like a pina colada and with a pineappley smell and taste.

another photo

That is not a Pina Colada tree.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 10:20:04 AM »

Sez you. You wish you had one like mine!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 10:29:44 AM »
My little PC tree only bore 2 this year, but they were incredibly delicious.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 11:15:45 AM »

another photo

Yep, not a pina colada tree.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »
Hey Sleepdoc just keep the tree healthy . Remove the weeds around the tree , fertilize , foliar and water correctly like you do your other trees.
Try not to pay too much attention to its growth / bearing habits . Focus on something else ... that's when she'll start performing !

Good luck. Probably no one else has a mature tree that bears fruit consistently .... too new a cultivar maybe????

Be grateful with what you have 20 -25 trees . That's amazing , some people would give anything to have 1 or 2 productive mango trees in there yard. It's all perspective. Give thanks man and forget about that one tree like i said before !
Mike

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 12:49:09 PM »
Hey Sleepdoc just keep the tree healthy . Remove the weeds around the tree , fertilize , foliar and water correctly like you do your other trees.
Try not to pay too much attention to its growth / bearing habits . Focus on something else ... that's when she'll start performing !

Good luck. Probably no one else has a mature tree that bears fruit consistently .... too new a cultivar maybe????

Be grateful with what you have 20 -25 trees . That's amazing , some people would give anything to have 1 or 2 productive mango trees in there yard. It's all perspective. Give thanks man and forget about that one tree like i said before !
Mike

I think you meant "Mr. Clean".  Thanks for the suggestions; I have a bad feeling about Pina Colada not being productive.  I am giving it another year.  I have about 20-25 varieties of mango trees (about 30-35 mango trees; several duplicates).  Total fruit trees / plants is in the range of 70-75. 
www.FLMangos.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »

another photo

Yep, not a pina colada tree.

I believe Pina Colada has more of a "blockish" shape than these mangos.  It also had a yellow blush rather than reddish blush shown in the picture.  The second photo appears to me to be a picture from the Fruit & Spice Park in Homestead (look at the white sign posts to the left of the tree). 
www.FLMangos.com

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »
I do agree with you Mr. Clean.  Out here at my Cali Desert ranch, all the PC fruits
(all 4 of them) have simply gone from green to yellow overtaking the fruit.
Do they really get a red blush like that???

And you are also right, they are small.  I'm waiting for my last 2 to ripen
and hopefully be pleasantly surprised....

Gary

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »
I think zands posted that as a joke :-).

I think starling is dead on with the 5 year rule of thumb. Give her 5 years. The juvenile period of some trees can be quite long.

The first thing that the novice fruit tree lubber learns is the virtue in patience. Comes in handy for other areas of life (investing, relationships, etc).

:-)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 09:07:26 PM »
My little PC tree only bore 2 this year, but they were incredibly delicious.

Mine has two as well; they still aren't ready yet though.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 09:16:46 PM »
I think zands posted that as a joke :-).

I think starling is dead on with the 5 year rule of thumb. Give her 5 years. The juvenile period of some trees can be quite long.

The first thing that the novice fruit tree lubber learns is the virtue in patience. Comes in handy for other areas of life (investing, relationships, etc).

:-)

Yep. The hour of reward is buried in years of patience. And labor.