Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283572 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #550 on: July 15, 2015, 05:31:13 PM »
Thanks. Initiating daily monitoring.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 16, 2015, 08:38:58 AM »
Sweet Tart

I was getting mango fatigued -- no longer that excited about tasting another sweet orange blob. Tonight that changed. I let this one ripen until the skin was yellow and it began to get soft but not wrinkled. The inside flesh was succulent & dark orange. It reminded me why I love tropical fruit - because of those rare experiences where you taste something so appealing that it seems unlikely it could grow from a natural seed in the ground. Where you wonder if it might have somehow been genetically altered or contain alien DNA?

This mango has a magnificent sweetness that outshines candy & cane sugar... with a musky cantaloupe-like undertone and a bold tartness that tingled and tickled my mouth.  Some cola syrup was under the skin and most concentrated near the stem. I tried to slow down and enjoy each bite... but I staggered and could... not... stop... until all that remained were some paper thin strips of skin and a very clean seed. I rate this mango as "outstanding" - a wonder of nature and agriculture. It's the perfect size, too... any bigger would be gluttonous for something so rich.

Now I wanna try the Kryptonite and Bolt mangos... based on the name and descriptions. How do they compare to Sweet Tart?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:24:49 AM by BrettBorders »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 16, 2015, 10:21:08 AM »
For those who have been wondering, the bolt mango is named after this guy
]

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 16, 2015, 11:18:15 AM »
SWEET TART is one powerfully flavored mango.  The sweet and tart components are more pronounced than any other mango I've tasted.  It also has the darkest orange flesh of any mango--must be loaded with vitamins!  Size is perfect because if it were any larger you couldn't finish it.
John

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 17, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »

Cac:  All jokes aside, this mango is as good as mangoes come...It has intense tropical flavor, creamy texture, and sweet aftertaste...and it's a big mango.  10 out of 10 kind of mango.  SO glad I have a tree!  Was the winner for much of the tasting....until

Kryptonite:  OH, MY FREAKING GOD!!!  This mango was so intense and perfect balance and texture!!  Left me laughing to myself like a crazy person (previously done when eating:  maha chanok, sweet tart, fruit punch, pineapple pleasure, seacrest, and coconut cream).  This mango totally snatched the Gold medal from Cac...not sure what the history on this is, but I suspect it was a # and Richard put a name on it (also see next review)

Last, but not least, was
Bolt (again a "new" variety from Fairchild, named for the Jamaican theme...no info on it, but it was good enough to make me stop and say WOW!  It is on the tart/subacid side, but it is like a tart but not overpowering punch in the taste buds!!  Bolt and Kryptonite deserve more looking into.

1. kryptonite
2. cac
3. bolt

Is Kryptonite a real thing?   Then it's time to cut down Jacquelin, I guess.

I sincerely thought I had acquired every wonderful terrific G.O.A.T.  mango tree.  It was a strange, lonely feeling, actually.

Did Richard Campbell talk about Kryptonite at all?    Or did he mention something about "new selections to be released soon" ?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: July 17, 2015, 02:45:29 PM »
Sweet Tart

This mango has a magnificent sweetness that outshines candy & cane sugar... with a musky cantaloupe-like undertone and a bold tartness that tingled and tickled my mouth.  Some cola syrup was under the skin and most concentrated near the stem. I tried to slow down and enjoy each bite.It's the perfect size, too... any bigger would be gluttonous for something so rich.

The sweet-tart mango is the sweetest mango I have encountered. It veers into sugary so diabetics should avoid this one and I am only half joking. Yes there are some sub-acid and tart flavors underneath. The sub acid + tart component is 15% of the amount of the sweet components  so if you don't like tart you don't have to worry about planting this mango tree.

IOW: don't let the word tart in the name sweet tart mango discourage you. Tart is a minor participant but leavens things (taste) up, like yeast in bread.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:51:31 PM by zands »

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 17, 2015, 07:09:29 PM »
The sweet-tart mango is the sweetest mango I have encountered. It veers into sugary so diabetics should avoid this one and I am only half joking. Yes there are some sub-acid and tart flavors underneath. The sub acid + tart component is 15% of the amount of the sweet components  so if you don't like tart you don't have to worry about planting this mango tree.

I concur with your description of the taste, when ripe. If eaten a bit under-ripe it can be very sour. Kind of good, if you like wild flavor rides. The tartness has more than one element to it. I think there's a general, diffuse tartness and there are also little "bursts" of more intense acidic tastes... something like like sour "sprinkles" or crystals... under the skin.

I squeezed a spoonful or so of Sweet Tart juice out of some slices. Wow! It was amazing  ;D

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 17, 2015, 09:53:59 PM »
Not only is Sweet Tart more sour/zcidic if underripe but it also has what i cond I der an unpalatable chalky characteristic (sorry, Jeff) similar to its parent, ZINC.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 17, 2015, 10:02:03 PM »
Did anyone have a zinc mango this year?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 17, 2015, 10:38:28 PM »

yes, why?
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 18, 2015, 09:14:29 AM »

yes, why?

It is the only one I did not see anywhere in my travels

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 18, 2015, 10:09:07 AM »
I squeezed a spoonful or so of Sweet Tart juice out of some slices. Wow! It was amazing  ;D

I always spoon up the left over juice from cutting into lemon zest and sweet tart. I prolly posted before but scrape the skin of the lemon zest (with your spoon) to get the orange sherbet flavor people talk about.

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 19, 2015, 11:35:24 AM »
O Henry

Stopped by Walter Zill's this morning and was sad to hear we're starting to reach the end of their mango season. They had mostly Honey Kiss & Hatcher and O Henrys on sale - and when those finish, it's Keitt, I was told. Then we hit the dog days of the Florida summer, when the temperatures continue to climb but the mango trees are bare.

The O Henry smells really nice, a fruity peach scent. The inside fruit was a very light yellow color - almost yellow-white towards the edges. The flesh had a light, spongy texture that reminded me of a coco plum - with a bit of fiber.  It tasted moderately sweet, subacidic and had a touch of resin flavor - the kind that tastes more like solvents than spices. I took another bite and tasted something almost exactly like a peach mixed in with the rest of the flavors. I would rate this mango as "good" on the scale that includes feral & street mangos, some of which are nasty and barely edible...but its very lackluster compared to most of varieties sold at Zills. Scent and texture, not taste, are this mango's better qualities.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:36:17 PM by BrettBorders »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 19, 2015, 09:14:15 PM »
Found this Providence hiding in the top of the canopy.  Dont usually see them this colorful in the tree.

One of my favorite mango pics posted on this thread, if you didn't say this was a mango I would think some other fruit. Interesting symmetrical shape with full redness and white corky dots, very unique.

-joep450

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 20, 2015, 03:13:38 PM »
Beverly

Got these at Spyke's Groves. Having seeing them only as pics on the internet, these mangoes were much, much larger in reality than expected. They were not so sweet but very juicy. The flesh was very light and smooth in texture- and even though it had fiber, it was so thin (the fibers) that it seemed smoother than it would indicate. The skin reminded me of cutting through an East Indian. Though not as thick, it has the potential to develop sharp edges that can cut your lip corners if not eaten carefully. East Indian and Ice Cream share that skin trait in my experience. Very poor shelf life. If these were representative of Beverly mangoes (though we are past the middle of July), Neelam is clearly a better tasting, longer shelf life, late season mango. Seed germinating in the ripening/ripened mango seems to be a shared trait :(.

Tog Bi Con

Continues to impress me. Sweet, sugary pineapple flavor. Not at the levels of PP (Pineapple Pleasure) but more than enough to recognize and enjoy. The great thing about TBC big mangoes is that they can never ripen evenly due to their size so you get to sample it at various stages of ripeness :D. Overripe (the pit) has no flavor whatsoever. Slightly under ripe is where the mango enjoyment is at for me. Production, size, flesh to seed ratio, disease resistance, shelf life, flavor, intense sweetness....this mango has it. If it could develop some nice, uniform coloration, and be half as vigorous as it it, it would be a star.

Kathy (K-3)
This was a medium large mango. A ZINC seedling. Not a creamy type of mango but very sweet with some small yet delightful lime sour areas in the flesh. Most were in the sides and not near the skin. It reminded me of some of the best Alphonso mangoes I've had at TT in 2014- a different flavor experience with ever other bite that isn't bland. Sweet, sweet, sour-sweet, sweet. Extremely delightful mango.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 20, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »
Are you sure that was a Beverly?  Not how I would describe a Beverly in any way, almost the opposite of Beverlys are and should be.  As far as "shelf life", there are very few mangoes that have a descent shelf life, with Tommy Atkins and Edgar being a couple of exceptions.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 21, 2015, 02:43:51 AM »
Sweet Tart

I was getting mango fatigued -- no longer that excited about tasting another sweet orange blob. Tonight that changed. I let this one ripen until the skin was yellow and it began to get soft but not wrinkled. The inside flesh was succulent & dark orange. It reminded me why I love tropical fruit - because of those rare experiences where you taste something so appealing that it seems unlikely it could grow from a natural seed in the ground. Where you wonder if it might have somehow been genetically altered or contain alien DNA?

This mango has a magnificent sweetness that outshines candy & cane sugar... with a musky cantaloupe-like undertone and a bold tartness that tingled and tickled my mouth.  Some cola syrup was under the skin and most concentrated near the stem. I tried to slow down and enjoy each bite... but I staggered and could... not... stop... until all that remained were some paper thin strips of skin and a very clean seed. I rate this mango as "outstanding" - a wonder of nature and agriculture. It's the perfect size, too... any bigger would be gluttonous for something so rich.

Now I wanna try the Kryptonite and Bolt mangos... based on the name and descriptions. How do they compare to Sweet Tart?

Tough to compare different varieties, especially when I have only sampled a few sweet tarts, 1 bolt (one more ready to go tomorrow), and like 4-5 kryptonites.  Plus, they were all sampled during only one year of production, so can't really count on this stuff as being too accurate over the long term.  But, here goes:

The perfectly ripened sweet tart is a divine experience--powerful flavor and sweetness wins the battle in the end...seemed like it melted in my mouth.  Still my favorite mango at the moment.

Next, I would probably choose kryptonite over Bolt, but they are both intense flavor profiles...the only thing is that Bolt is a pretty tart mango, yet smooth--definitely not underripe--just tart, which I like (not tart like lemons--but sort of similar to sweet tart's flavor but without the end sweetness) .  The kryptonite has the pineapply intense flavor, but also has creamy mango sweetness, while bolt is more.  If one had the space, all 3 would be worth growing (strictly based upon tasting--not production, season, disease resistance, etc.)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 21, 2015, 02:45:17 AM »
SWEET TART is one powerfully flavored mango.  The sweet and tart components are more pronounced than any other mango I've tasted.  It also has the darkest orange flesh of any mango--must be loaded with vitamins!  Size is perfect because if it were any larger you couldn't finish it.
agreed.  It's a great mango that should be in every yard ;)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 21, 2015, 02:50:45 AM »

Cac:  All jokes aside, this mango is as good as mangoes come...It has intense tropical flavor, creamy texture, and sweet aftertaste...and it's a big mango.  10 out of 10 kind of mango.  SO glad I have a tree!  Was the winner for much of the tasting....until

Kryptonite:  OH, MY FREAKING GOD!!!  This mango was so intense and perfect balance and texture!!  Left me laughing to myself like a crazy person (previously done when eating:  maha chanok, sweet tart, fruit punch, pineapple pleasure, seacrest, and coconut cream).  This mango totally snatched the Gold medal from Cac...not sure what the history on this is, but I suspect it was a # and Richard put a name on it (also see next review)

Last, but not least, was
Bolt (again a "new" variety from Fairchild, named for the Jamaican theme...no info on it, but it was good enough to make me stop and say WOW!  It is on the tart/subacid side, but it is like a tart but not overpowering punch in the taste buds!!  Bolt and Kryptonite deserve more looking into.

1. kryptonite
2. cac
3. bolt

Is Kryptonite a real thing?   Then it's time to cut down Jacquelin, I guess.

I sincerely thought I had acquired every wonderful terrific G.O.A.T.  mango tree.  It was a strange, lonely feeling, actually.

Did Richard Campbell talk about Kryptonite at all?    Or did he mention something about "new selections to be released soon" ?

I was unable to speak with him during the festival, except to ask about Late Julie, which he said was 29-26.  If we are persistent at bugging Richard and/or Noris for more details.  I also am basing this off one year's tastings, rather than keeping data over time, so while I do believe them to be top-notch mangoes, it will be more difficult to know how they perform year-in and year-out.  Bolt is awesome, but not for those who don't like a mango that is on the creamy, tart side (not chalky)
~Jeff

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 25, 2015, 12:48:55 AM »
Amy

If any of my trini brethren has been able to taste this mango (a Jakarta seedling), didn't you find it was a tasting image of Calabash mango? I did. From smell of the skin, to flesh, to it's taste but with better size/flesh, less fiber, and color. A very sweet and juicy mango- and even for it's large size, I had to consume it in that one sitting. Delicious.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:24:45 AM by TnTrobbie »
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 25, 2015, 12:00:50 PM »
I got to taste several premium varieties this year, thought I'd share my impressions

Maha Chanok -  this is a new favorite! Very sweet, especially near the skin. Not sure I taste cola near the skin, but I understand the reference - super sweet and complex. Center has some nice tart elements. No resin or bad flavor. Very rich,  and does have a distinct smell I can't place, maybe like jackfruit. Flesh is smooth and firm, no fiber, no mushy parts. One of the best mangos I've had.  I'll be adding this one to my yard!

Venus - the one I had was overripe, it had very sour smell before cutting, making it hard to tell when it was the best time to cut into.  There were some chalky spots by the stem, middle had a fizzy bit. Kind of peachy, but in a cloying canned in heavy syrup sort of way. Very sweet. Will reserve judgement until I taste one closer to optimum ripeness.

Fairchild - smelled a bit like celery on the outside, but none of that carried into the fruit flesh. It was a very good mango. No special flavors - just mango. Good sweet tart balance, with the tip being sweet and the stem end having a pleasant tartness.

Sweet tart - Definitely one of my top picks, this is another new favorite! Had a bright, green smell to it when peeling, hard to describe but pleasing. Exceptionally good tangy profile, but not too much. Nice amount of sweet, and very rich mango flavor. Firm flesh, but still quite juicy.

Lemon zest - I'm kind of mixed on if I like this one. It is without doubt excellent quality and really does taste a lot like candied lemon rind. But lemon rind is a flavor that is a bit overwhelming for me. Had 2, the first I was so so about it had a twinge of the bitterness of lemon rind. The second while having significant anthracnose damage, was spectacular. Just like candy. Less rind taste,and more sweet lemon flavor. Firm flesh, super juicy, and very sweet. Had it with fish & coconut rice - that was great. Almost like it is so rich you need a palate cleanser like savory food between bites.

Coconut cream - This is an excellent creamy mango. Really does taste like coconut cream plus mango. The coconut flavor is very clean, some mangos that have hints of coconut have a bit of a weird flavor to me. Not this one - just add rum and you'd have a great tropical drink!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 25, 2015, 01:23:10 PM »
Kathy

If any of my trini brethren has been able to taste this mango (a Jakarta seedling), didn't you find it was a tasting image of Calabash mango? I did. From smell of the skin, to flesh, to it's taste but with better size/flesh, less fiber, and color. A very sweet and juicy mango- and even for it's large size, I had to consume it in that one sitting. Delicious.

If this is what i gave you, it is what is known as K-3 and is a ZINC seedling,  not a Jakarta seedling.   The Amy is the Jakarta seedling.
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 25, 2015, 05:09:55 PM »
I am also awaiting a good venus trial--had 1 but it didn't ripen properly so will have to wait and see.

sunworshipper:  I agree.  Those are some fine mangoes you were exposed to.

After sampling many mangoes from the Fairchild Mango Festival, Kryptonite was the clear-cut winner, each time it was sampled.  Still don't know much about it, but it was the best mango tasted in a while, maybe even as good as the earlier heavyweights like fruit punch, dupuis, pineapple pleasure, guava, etc

Marley mango:  I enjoyed this mango very much....started out as just a good sweet regular mango flavor, but the fruit was underripe and as I ate near the seed, it came ALIVE and was very citrusy!  I heard through the grapevine that this is a mango that came from someone named D. Burd.  Definitely one to keep an eye out for.  It is a firm mango and hard to cut crosswise, but no fiber detected whle eating (weird).

Bolt:  as mentioned before, it was quite good, but only had 1 fruit so tough to know about its flavor consistency.  Same goes for 40-17 which was awesome, but only 1 fruit.  to be continued...

34-24 (cecilove):  awesome at every tasting (like kryptonite but not as good).  Even got the wife's seal of approval with Kryptonite and Cac.

Providence:  what else can I say, love this mango!  Large, juicy, flavorful

Orange Sherbet:  One of my faves for sure....I much prefer it to LZ.

Dusehri:  Was quite good...don't remember much else, but the fact that I liked it out of many different varieties.

Zinc:  can be chalky and cause mouth to tingle in the past (for me at least), but this one was a winner.  Sweet and just a great all-around experience.

Parvin:  I think this mango is very good...many will laugh at that, but I too am a mango snob, and I have nothing bad to say about parvin.  Way better than Kent and Keiit IMHO

Keitt:  had never had a florida-grown, unboiled Keitt before this year.  Wow!  What a difference.  I like Keitt and would eat these mangoes if they were all I had available.

Sig Siput:  Didn't expect to like this mango, but it was quite good.  No pics, and no real talent in tasting descriptions, but it is what it is.  Maybe others can chime in.

Beverly:  creamy and delicious!!  A great late season mango ( i even like them underripe)

Some that I didn't care for:

myrinthianashahs (no idea how to spell it, but no thanks--may be from myanmar iirc)
emerald--just didn't agree with me
mammou:  strong melon flavor
graham:  just not sweet enough for me
mallika:  sorry, I just don't like mallika, at all!
Pettigrew:  no thanks, weird off-flavor
Heidi:  no thanks....mango snobbery card pulled
Crystal:  pretty bland
Osteen:  mango snob card pulled
Neelam:  pretty good but don't care for the vegetably aftertaste
Step:  interesting flavor, but doesn't make the cut.

~Jeff

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 25, 2015, 09:18:10 PM »
Sunworshiper, you didn't find the Fairchild to have a more complex flavor?  I detected a piney almost Carrie like spice flavor to it but not as strong as Carrie...so it looks like you're getting a Maha huh?  Are you going to buy a tree or graft onto the Angie?

Rob, is Maha an early, mid, or late season mango?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 25, 2015, 09:22:25 PM »
Sunworshiper, you didn't find the Fairchild to have a more complex flavor?  I detected a piney almost Carrie like spice flavor to it but not as strong as Carrie...so it looks like you're getting a Maha huh?  Are you going to buy a tree or graft onto the Angie?

Rob, is Maha an early, mid, or late season mango?

Mahachanok is known to have an extended fruiting season.   It is possible to have fruits spanning from as early as mid June through mid August.
- Rob