Author Topic: Your preffered sites to order.. Bone meal ; Bat guano and EarthWorm Castings?  (Read 4805 times)

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
I want to really start to move in a more organic direction this year and want to start ordering some of this stuff. Any help is appreciated. Thanks . Mike!

ty23

• Bridgeville, DE. USDA zone 7
    • View Profile
Shipping is the killer.  For you, Grow Organic might be the best bet. No more sea bird guano though.  I think there is a ban on its export from Peru.

http://www.groworganic.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=guano&x=0&y=0

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
One trick on saving, is to use efficient ways of feeding your plants.  drip irrigation near the roots using organic soluble fertilizer, and/or foliar feeding.  gets the nutrients to the plants with the least amount of waste.

of course making your own is the best, I often see offers on Craiglist of people giving away horse manure, and mulch etc.  if you have a wormbin you can make your own worm compost and even compost teas.

If cost is no problem, just look for a hydroponics supply center in your area, they usually have tons of goodies many of which are organic.  I did a quick search and found these folks in your area:
http://www.hydrodiscountaz.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58  buying locally will save you on shipping which as Ty23 said, is a "killer".  read the labels when selecting a product, see how concentrated it is, some products in small bottles can outlast others and are a better value than those that come in gallon jugs.

I recently bought some commercial seaweed concentrate, it was really cheap, around 3 bucks. and makes about 60 some gallons of foliar spray ( I only need 2 gallons for my whole yard ). so that is cheap.

you want to build up your soil beneficial organisms, as they are the ones that will break down the organic  materials in the soil to so that your plant can use it.

there are lots of ways of going about this.  the simplest is to just buy some organic compost, use mulch, add a product to introduce some beneficial bacteria, and fungi around the roots.

It really all depends on the needs of your soil, if its dead, with little minerals and organic materials, it will need a lot more work, but if its generally fertile, alive, and naturally rich, the transition will be easy.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:09:40 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
http://www.amazon.com/Peace-Mind-Bat-Guano-Pounds/dp/B000S6OTIK
Here's yer bat guano deal.... sold by "Outlaw Hydroponics" complete with trippy illustration on the box to appeal to to the medical marijuana growers and the other ones too.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
I have 2 worm composting bins.  They are simple to maintain.  My plants benefit from worm compost tea about every month.  I chose European nightcrawlers because they are 2x the size of Red Wigglers, which means they eat more & they are a good size for bait. 

natsgarden123

I,d be careful with the bone meal- mad cow disease is still out there

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Though I still use any fertilizer that I think will work, if you are looking to move to a morally superior type of gardening, you might consider the CRUELTY-FREE route.

In other words, you might avoid the ground-up carcasses of murdered Bambis and Nemos:  Blood Meal, Feather Meal, Bone Meal, and Boiled (Hydrolyzed) Fish.
Har

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Though I still use any fertilizer that I think will work, if you are looking to move to a morally superior type of gardening, you might consider the CRUELTY-FREE route.

In other words, you might avoid the ground-up carcasses of murdered Bambis and Nemos:  Blood Meal, Feather Meal, Bone Meal, and Boiled (Hydrolyzed) Fish.

Not a bad idea.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
http://www.7springsfarm.com/catalog.html#SoilAme

I like this outfit. Great products and very low prices shipping was reasonable

Tropicdude

• View Profile
http://www.7springsfarm.com/catalog.html#SoilAme

I like this outfit. Great products and very low prices shipping was reasonable

Lots of cool stuff at that site. added it to my bookmarks.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
Moving to organic growing is not dificult and does not need to be costly. The basis of good organic growing is composting. Where are many great articles on composting so I will not go into detail. You do need to be careful on what you do put into the compost pile. I do use kitchen vegitable matter in my composting but I use the Japanese 'Bokashi' method to break it down before I put it in the pile.
Compost tea. Can be very good but you need to know what you are doing to brew it properly and it needs to be used as soon as it is brewed.
I use a fish hydrolysate called Megagreen which is a liquid made from catfish. Nice levels of amino acids and lower levels of heavy metals than salt water fish. When looking at fish fertilizers remember that there are both hydrolysates and imulsions. Imulsions are mostly done with heat processes that limit its effectiveness.
Seaweed and kelp are great but again I stay with cold water kelp from the North Atlantic in that they are much lower in heavy metals than warm water products. I am sure there are good southern hemisphere kelp for those where it is less expensive.
I have a source for good aged horse and cow manure so I add some of it to me compost the keep a good nitrogen:carbon ratio.
I have been testing a new 'vegan' nitrogen fertilizer from California that is showing great promise. It is call SN14 and has the highest nitrogen level I have seen in a true organic fertilizer at a guarantee of 14%. Most testing is shown it to be around 16%. It is a very fin powder so it is not expensive to ship.
To get most of the other things plants need I use TurfPro liquid and their ArgiPro dry. Most all trace elements needed except Phosphate, a wide range of soil biology and all of the humic acids your soil needs.
Between the two fertilizer I use and the TP products I get all four of the natural chelating agents to change mineral to a from the plants can use.
There is no one correct amount of any of these things to use. Climate, soil and other factors all need to be considered in any program.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
Good advice Jim.  what are your thoughts on Azomite and similar products?   also regarding seaweed extracts, I was doing some research, and how they are processed is also important,  "fermented" is supposed to be the best, as more nutrients are released.
William

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
For organic mulching, you can also try-

Bocking 14 Russian comfrey
Alfalfa/Alfalfa tea
Moringa oleifera cuttings
Duckweed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk