Author Topic: Mango Cultivars and Powdery Mildew  (Read 2600 times)

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Mango Cultivars and Powdery Mildew
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:29:21 PM »
I'm wondering which mango cultivars are the most and least resistant to powdery mildew. What is everyones experince?

My Carrie tree seems to have very low resistance to PM, last season it lost its entire crop to (caught it to late to save...) PM. This year I have been spraying it with sulfar, so hopefully the tree does better. None of my other mango varietes seem to have PM problems at least not on that scale. 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Mango Cultivars and Powdery Mildew
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 04:39:24 PM »
in my limited experience, ice cream was worst, Pickering was the best.

I have some Pickering and cogshall mangoes in a greenhouse with no ventilation or air circulation, being irrigated from an overhead system.  the trees still set fruits with this horrible treatment.  that is what won me over about pickering (cogshall as well) the last few years.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:51:02 PM »
Interesting. CTAHR rates carrie along with tommy atkins in terms of PM resistance.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/PD-46.pdf
Jeff  :-)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »
One year, my 15 ft tall glenn only produced 1 mango and the 9 ft Keitt next to it nothing because of PM.  Both flowered like crazy and I was sure I was going to have my best production year yet.  The single glenn fell early and unripe too on one of the days the wind was 30+ MPH.  The florigon in the same area was not really affected, only a single panicle got infected that I noticed. 
Brandon

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 10:30:09 PM »
My Ice Cream gets it the most,  do not see any on my Lemon Zest or Coconut Cream,  but I am worried as my plants are relatively close together, and my backyard is surrounded by a high wall.

Nam Doc Mai, gets it, and so does Lancetilla, but not so bad.   a couple years ago, I had no problem, but one winter day we had strong dry winds blow in, and all the mango trees I had at that time got it.   I have not sprayed sulfur or anything, and have it mostly under control, but I am thinking of moving the Ice Cream out, because of its susceptibility to PM.

anyone else can report on LZ and CC ? in regards to Powdery Mildew?

Oh and my Maha Chanok looks ok too.

too early to tell with the Kesar.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk