Author Topic: Trip to Mimosa Nursery  (Read 1899 times)

Nisp66

• US, SoCal, Glendora, 10a
    • View Profile
Trip to Mimosa Nursery
« on: August 25, 2014, 07:32:48 PM »
I made a trip this weekend to Mimosa nursery in LA. Very nice selection of tropical fruit trees. Lots of Sapodillas, Atemoyas, Mangos, Litchis and so on. I also saw some Mamey and Green Sapotes. They had some trees on sale.  Picked up a small Sugar Apple seedling with flowers to see if it survives the winter in my yard.

Raul

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to Mimosa Nursery
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 11:52:27 PM »
Hey Raul
Which part of glendora are you from?

Good luck with that sugar apple.  Glendora is usually warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter.  My cherimoya and atemoya grown in glendora  taste better than the same trees grown in El monte.  Must be the extra few degrees in the summer.

Nisp66

• US, SoCal, Glendora, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 12:51:53 AM »
Xshen, I am close to the mountains. I had tried growing sugar apple a few years ago and it died in the big frost. It was in the ground in unprotected spot in my yard. This time around I am going to leave it potted and protect it in the winter to see what happens.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:23:12 AM »
Xshen, I am close to the mountains. I had tried growing sugar apple a few years ago and it died in the big frost. It was in the ground in unprotected spot in my yard. This time around I am going to leave it potted and protect it in the winter to see what happens.

how cold was this frost?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »
It was in the low 24-25??  It was the worst frost year in the last 20 years that I've been in the states.  All of our large longan and guava trees sustained major damage.  Smaller trees were killed.  I lost a small AP atemoya and a small grafted guava that year. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk