Author Topic: THAI DWARF VS WORLDS BEST MULBERRY  (Read 2479 times)

morris4000

• USA, Orlando, FL 32801 Zone 9b
    • View Profile
THAI DWARF VS WORLDS BEST MULBERRY
« on: May 24, 2020, 06:42:14 PM »
would like to know taste difference between these two.  growth habit.  and which one fruits more than the  other.  size of fruit. etc    thanks

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: THAI DWARF VS WORLDS BEST MULBERRY
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 07:22:24 AM »
I have not seen any Worlds Best mulberry fruit or tree, but for me the Thai Dwarf seems to fruit more than the other types I grow. If you have the Worlds Best or have access to it, I wouldn't mind trading a few scions with you. I have the following on my trees; Black Pakistan, White Pakistan, Shangri-La, Thai Dwarf, Contorted mulberry.

I top worked one of my mulberry tree with Thai Dwarf this spring and had fruits on them already. Taste is ok, nothing exciting, the Black Pakistan or the Shangri-La tastes better to me.

The nice thing about it is the growth habit, leaf nodes are spaced closer together so it seems to be more bushy even though it grows fast and long.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 10:16:20 AM »
I have 3 large Thai Dwarf Mulberries growing in containers.
Yesterday I cut them back hard and hit them with fertilizer to promote new grow and fruit production.
This spring they flooded me with fruit... and I will get the same again soon.
I still have some to share if anyone is interested.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=40398.0

Kevin Jones

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 11:27:19 AM »
Kevin, you sure do get a lot of fruits on your Thai Dwarf, nice !

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 01:18:46 PM »
I planted 20 cuttings of the World's Best mulberry this spring. I have tasted what appears to be Thai Everbearing but not the WB yet, so can't compare the two yet. I have communicated with the WB distributor Bryce Garling and he tells me the WB can be forced into bearing multiple crops by pruning if other conditions are good.
I grew the cuttings out about 2 months in pots then planted them in the field as 1 gallons. I tipped them regularly to shape and force low branching, this was a while ago they are about twice the size and I've stopped tipping.

Bryce has several videos about the variety on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=world%27s+best+mulberry

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 03:09:03 PM »
Once I get some scions of WB, I will graft it onto my multi-grafted tree that already has the Thai Dwarf so I should be able to compare the tree and fruit next spring/summer.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 03:28:43 PM »
I planted 20 cuttings of the World's Best mulberry this spring. I have tasted what appears to be Thai Everbearing but not the WB yet, so can't compare the two yet. I have communicated with the WB distributor Bryce Garling and he tells me the WB can be forced into bearing multiple crops by pruning if other conditions are good.
I grew the cuttings out about 2 months in pots then planted them in the field as 1 gallons. I tipped them regularly to shape and force low branching, this was a while ago they are about twice the size and I've stopped tipping.

Bryce has several videos about the variety on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=world%27s+best+mulberry
So you think the Wb and Thai dwarf are different?

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 03:38:39 PM »
Mike,
Looking at this photo... the leaf shape and coloring look the same to me.
That's no proof obviously.

Kevin Jones

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 07:15:01 AM »

So you think the Wb and Thai dwarf are different?
I can't honestly say I think you would need to grow both at the same time pruning the same and compare carefully.
Here Bryce compares the two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5T3XqaNHYk

Here he discusses the idea that it is a hybrid which could make it have increased vigor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5T3XqaNHYk

I decided to give it a chance based on his recommendation. You are located close and have shared with me so can get cuttings if you like.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 02:38:52 AM »
So I did get some scions of the World's Best and grafted onto my large Shangri-La tree which already has the Thai Dwarf grafts (with fruits).
I should be able to perform the taste test by next spring or sooner when the fruits grow on the new grafts of the World's Best branches. The grafts of the WB has only been 4 weeks old but it is already fruiting so I might have some fruits to taste in another month. So far what I observed on the WB grafts is that it seems to have closer leaf nodes than the Thai Dwarf branches so it might not get as big/large as the Thai Dwarf. The Thai Dwarf grows very fast and the branches have grown tall quickly after grafting it (6ft in 5 months), I may need to cut them back and sell some scions soon.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 05:33:00 PM »
Update on my grafted World's Best and Thai Dwarf mulberry.

I did get a few fruits on the World's Best already so I tried the fruit and compared it to the Thai Dwarf. Thai Dwarf seems to taste better but that may be due to the World's Best branch still to small ( 1ft long) and so next spring would be a better comparison. Both new growth seems identical and the fruit size seems similar. So far the Shangri-La fruits are sweeter/bettter taste that either of these two.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 05:42:47 PM »
How can you go wrong... Thai Dwarf Mulberry by the handful:

Kevin Jones

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 05:48:12 PM »
Personally I haven't really liked Thai Dwarf, it's just not as sweet and complex as the big ones. If "World's Best" is a thread of Thai Dwarf... Well... I'd be disappointed.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 07:45:18 PM »
Kevin,

I'm sure your Thai Dwarf will taste better than my grafted branches since my grafts are still young. So next spring would be a better comparison of it with the Shangri-La. My rootstock that I have grafted both (World's Best and Thai Dwarf) is an older (7yrs) Shangri-La tree so its fruits will not change much in taste.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 08:23:44 PM »
Beautiful!!!

Kevin Jones

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 08:38:57 PM »
Personally I haven't really liked Thai Dwarf, it's just not as sweet and complex as the big ones. If "World's Best" is a thread of Thai Dwarf... Well... I'd be disappointed.

Have the Thai dwarf mulberries you've tasted come from a mature or smaller tree?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 12:03:24 AM »
My Thai Dwarf scions were from a member that has a large tree now (maybe 2-4yrs old). He acquired scions from Adam (FFF) and I grafted many scions on my mature Shangri-La tree 6 months ago. I have been letting the grafts grow so next spring I will trim the tips of the branches to get more fruit.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:05:05 AM by sc4001992 »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 04:27:57 PM »

The Thai dwarf is not my favorite either but the past two years it fruited a month before
any other of my mulberries in the beginning of February when not much fruit is to be had.
I have noticed if they are totally ripe and completely black they are better.
In the past I have had 5-6 different types of mulberries ripe and 5 different people
tried them and said Shangri La is #1 in my yard?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk