Author Topic: Tampa Area. Any ideas? Also feedback on what I do have.  (Read 860 times)

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
Tampa Area. Any ideas? Also feedback on what I do have.
« on: July 09, 2020, 09:43:16 AM »
I live just south of Tampa in Apollo Beach.  9b probably  I have a good variety of trees and am looking for some more ideas.  Here is what I have and how I would rate them for my area this of course is from my growing experience in my yard..  Hass Avocado 7, Super Hass 9, Oro Negro  2,  Spalding pear 2, Florida home Pear 2, Sun mist nectarine 7,  Sunraycer nectarine 6,  Petite Negro Fig 9, Eversweet Pomegranate 10,  Saijo Persimmon 5, Ichi Persimmon 4,  Suruga Persimmon 5,  TR Harvey Papaya 8,  Barbados Cherry 9,  Glenn Mango 9,  Carrie Mando 7,  Valencia Mango 10.    My rating is based on adaptability to my area, growth rate and production.  Not taste.  For example I do not like Papayas but they grow well here and produce well. (my girlfriend loves them)  I ordered an Australian beach cherry so I am going to try that.  Any other ideas????  I am probably going to remove the oro negro and the pears.  Just not doing well.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:44:52 AM by BPDUKE »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Tampa Area. Any ideas? Also feedback on what I do have.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 10:56:38 AM »
You should be in a micro climate by being in Apollo Beach (not necessarily 9b).  I know someone who lives there with mangoes, avocado, starfruit, sugar apples, canistel and jackfruit that all produce with never any protection and no damage.
- Rob

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 12:19:45 PM »
All the Eugenias will do well in Apollo Beach.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 09:06:28 PM »
No Annonas?

I would get a sugar apple or two and at least one atemoya. The Lisa atemoya
is one of my favorite fruits the last two seasons. I am in 9b but on the edge of
10a.  It can get get cold here I woke up one morning last year and it was 29 but
breezy all night and even my cherry tomatoes didn't take a hit. I water heavy on
day before the cold night and I get a huge pile of mulch to cover the trunks 2-3 feet.
Luckily I haven't had to use the mulch yet but I stockpile it every Fall.

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 10:55:00 AM »
Near Tampa bay and on a 60 acre lake I am in a bit of a micro climate.  Rarely freezes as the water keeps things just a few degrees warmer in the winter.  A lot of good ideas which eugenias do you reccomend?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk