Author Topic: Hard Freeze My Avocado & Trop Trees  (Read 824 times)

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
Hard Freeze My Avocado & Trop Trees
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:12:51 AM »
We had a very Hard Freeze in Houston.

I have just begun looking at some of my tropical fruit trees - avocados, mangoes, etc.  They were covered well, but since the elec went out, these trees have suffered.  Checking this morning for the first time, the base under the graft and several inches above the graft are still green.  This area was covered with foam for plumbers pipe.

I know many have experience.  Does anyone know if these trees will continue to die or will this area stay green maybe living.  Thank you.  We all need help with this.
Whether I need to dig these trees up & replant.

Thanks in advance to all.  Carol

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Freeze My Avocado & Trop Trees
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:53:23 AM »
Watch for ambrosia beetles!!Might want to treat trunk of trees with insecticides ,repellent.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 10:10:46 AM »
Watch for ambrosia beetles!!Might want to treat trunk of trees with insecticides ,repellent.

Are they a problem in Texas?
- Rob

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 10:25:21 AM »
HI, we really don't have beetles in Tx.  We also have stopped using any insecticides.  The benefit of this is really seen.

We have tree frogs in the center of Houston.  I don't believe I have even ever seen a tree frog.  So Wonderful.  We use
organic alfalfa pellets for our yard which we applied yesterday. 

I just talked with an experienced local nursery.  She said to wait 3 or 4 weeks to see how these trop trees are faring before
taking action such as digging. 
On the bright side, it will be fun getting new varieties.  carolstropicals

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 04:25:14 PM »
No I'm not talking about Florida Ambrosia beetles ,any that live their,they zone in on stressed trees
All though with that freeze it will have a impact on population albeit.

http://www.tsusinvasives.org/home/database/xylosandrus-crassiusculus
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5349704.pdf
https://www.fs.fed.us/nrs/pubs/jrnl/2013/nrs_2013_haack_001.pdf

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 06:42:04 PM »
We had a very Hard Freeze in Houston.

I have just begun looking at some of my tropical fruit trees - avocados, mangoes, etc.  They were covered well, but since the elec went out, these trees have suffered.  Checking this morning for the first time, the base under the graft and several inches above the graft are still green.  This area was covered with foam for plumbers pipe.

I know many have experience.  Does anyone know if these trees will continue to die or will this area stay green maybe living.  Thank you.  We all need help with this.
Whether I need to dig these trees up & replant.

Thanks in advance to all.  Carol

After a miserable week or so of frigid temps and no power I  finally ran out of propane - 8 hours at 22F, outside was 17F.  No way to get on the roads to get more.  Most avocados are green even 2-8' above the grafts.   Mangos and annonas are toast except for above the grafts.  Citrus is iffy.  I heeled up all kinds of stuff above the grafts so I think they'll be OK.  We had several mornings of near zero - epic.  Some in my area still don't have power with over 500 poles down.

So...........leave them be or slowly start pruning to green wood.  They will flush soon with warmer weather. 

PATIENCE and good luck.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 06:46:40 PM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 06:52:14 PM »
Crazy, had 2 small avocado seedlings out of about 6 in pots that aren't fazed.  I think they are Reed seeds.

I have a large, bearing Reed that has twice taken temps to 18F and now 22F and summer temps up to 112F and still grows like a weed.  I see green 6' or higher on this beast.

One tough variety that goes against all the university and anecdotal BS you read about it being tender.

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 10:01:51 AM »
We do have beetles here. Lost two plum trees and a peach tree several years back because of them. I'm not sure about the proper treatment, you should probably talk to your local Ag extension office.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 11:01:37 AM »
We do have beetles here. Lost two plum trees and a peach tree several years back because of them. I'm not sure about the proper treatment, you should probably talk to your local Ag extension office.

Never had a problem with borers either on my peach trees (which never got a thing) or in the greenhouse.  But.......

A good preventative treatment is a spray of horticultural oil containing an insectacide like bifenthrin, Sevin, or permethrin.  This will knock down the eggs and larvae.   I add a very small amount of bifenthrin to my Bonide hort. oil mixes to control mites, mealybugs, and scale. 

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 05:27:31 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded.  Concerns not beetles but life in these trees. 
Everything was wrapped properly with plumbing foam around the grafts. Then
electricity went out.
What a mess.