Author Topic: Barren Tangerine Tree  (Read 896 times)

clarke

• Hermosa Beach, CA
    • View Profile
Barren Tangerine Tree
« on: December 01, 2020, 07:16:10 PM »
The tree was planted three years ago.  Last year, it was full of fruit.  This year no flowers, no buds, no nothing.
I fertilize, water, etc.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
c.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Re: Barren Tangerine Tree
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 08:45:33 PM »
This could be the beginning of an alternate bearing pattern. This is initiated when excessive fruit are produced in a "on" year which depletes the tree's nutrition reserves. In an effort to protect itself, little, or no fruit is set in the subsequent year. This is in turn followed by yet another year of excessive fruit set.
The cycle can be broken by thinning the immature fruit early in the season during the "on" crop year. Regular annual bearing can be re-established by keeping on top of this each year.

Excessive cropping is capable of outright killing overbearing plums and persimmons.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 08:53:39 PM »
  "Excessive cropping is capable of outright killing overbearing plums and persimmons"
I have lost 3 peach trees this way.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 10:05:29 PM »

I also think the tree is alternate bearing, having on and off years. You wrote that you fertilize the tree, however the leaves are showing a magnesium deficiency.  Look at the analysis of the fertilizer you are using, to see if it contains magnesium (Mg).

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 03:04:39 PM »
The tree was planted three years ago.  Last year, it was full of fruit.  This year no flowers, no buds, no nothing.
I fertilize, water, etc.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
c.

Why you are netting it?  Even with predacious squirrels, rats and lots of birds around here, my citrus (moro BO, rio red GF, various kumquats, meyer lemons, etc.) aren't bothered (as opposed to my figs, peaches, pomegranates, persimmons that get ravaged).
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a