Author Topic: Tell me about guava trees for 9b central Florida east coast  (Read 4742 times)

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
I have learned that guava grows well in my climate Ana I would like to put one on my property. I have started to research them and learn about them but can't seem to find out much on the different cultivars available. What I like that I have heard is they seem to be very hardy trees and easy to grow. Also I have heard that some varieties can yield ripe fruit many times a year vs all at once thus extending my season significantly. What would be a good variety to grow that does well in my climate that produces good fruit throughout the year that can be kept under 8 feet through pruning? Thanks again to all of you for sharing your expertise!

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about guava trees for 9b central Florida east coast
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:57:57 AM »
I am literally right across the county line in orange county. I have Pink Barbie, Egyptian, white, lemon, and three other guavas I cant remember at this time. They all do fine and the two that are old enough to fruit do so profusely. Lemon produces year round. White is a once a year thing. The only issue I have is white flies on some of them. You shouldn't have any growth or fruiting issues where you are.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:24:09 AM by Tropheus76 »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 09:17:15 AM »
Pineapple guava (feijoa) should do well there, unfortunately they do not fruit here in So. Fla. I had hoped over the years that we would get a few cold snaps to wake my three bushes up but no luck so far.

Regards,

Gary

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 09:19:06 AM »
I am literally right across the county line in orange county. I have Pink Barbie, Egyptian, white, lemon, and three other guavas I cant remember at this time. They all do fine and the two that are old enough to fruit do so profusely. Lemon produces year round. White is a once a year thing. The only issue I have is white flies on some of them. You shouldn't have any growth or fruiting issues where you are.
How tall and how old are your fruiting guavas? (pics would be great also :) )

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 10:42:37 AM »

whats your fav in taste ?
i was thinking of getting Egyptian.

i had a large white (Asian white or some such?) it was excellent. large very soft flesh and sweet.
this last freeze killed it (26F new orleans zone 9)
the red i have died back but is still alive.
 the Mexican cream comes back every year no problem. nice soft aromatic fruit
but kinda small and not sweet.

i miss my large white.

mine never fruit before the fall, or late summer at least.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »
My white is about 10 feet tall. Fruits softball sized fruit fairly heavily. No pics, about to prune it back actually. My lemon is only about 3 to 4 feet, hasn't grown much since I planted it but fruits fairly heavy which the animals tend to grab before I can. I want to say one of mine is an apple guava, but hasn't fruited. My Egyptian has been slower growing, but I gave one to my neighbor and his has grown as a massive bush in less than 2 years and he barely waters or does anything to it. My last one is a gift from that same neighbor and we have no real idea what cultivar it is but it is fairly fast growing. With this drought though everything except my African sausage tree is growing very slow this year. I think my watering is covering the needs but not much else.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 04:18:53 PM »
The lemon guava seems to be very prolific and high quality fruit from my research. Also it seems to have the name due to its color not its flavor more than anything. Would you agree that this is accurate? That might be a good option for me.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 05:16:44 PM »
I also read some about Mexican cream but saw some people say good things and others not so good.

Anyone try the Excalibur varieties?

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 01:52:32 PM »
I have Excalibur variegated, but it hasn't fruited yet.

I like ruby supreme, but it's a very, very thirsty plant.  Have to water it daily during the summer if it's hot out.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 02:28:19 PM »
Lemon is a very acquired taste. You have to wait until its just right ripeness-wise and I mean to the day otherwise I find it very sour. Catch it on that good day and its great. Unfortunately for me, either the raccoons or the deer like it less ripe than I do and they beat me to them.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 04:46:13 PM »
Lemon is a very acquired taste. You have to wait until its just right ripeness-wise and I mean to the day otherwise I find it very sour. Catch it on that good day and its great. Unfortunately for me, either the raccoons or the deer like it less ripe than I do and they beat me to them.

Are you refwrring to the lemon Cattley guava?
- Rob

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 02:16:03 AM »
I also read some about Mexican cream but saw some people say good things and others not so good.

I think maybe that's because places like Lowes sell "Mexican Cream" and they are actually some hard (like a stone) seeded varieties without any flavor.  A while back I bought a half dozen marked "Mexican Cream" all were different, only one resembled the descriptions I read of MC's, the rest were pulled, stripped of leaves for mulch, and sent to the landfill.

Just this week I was in a local Lowes and the plants there had TWO labels on each plant, one "Mexican Cream" the other "Mexican Guava"

Regards,

Gary

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 03:52:25 AM »
Ok avoid lowes or Home Depot. That's easy. Seems like there is no absolute winner as far as a preferred variety?

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 11:30:13 AM »
Not really sure BSbullie, got it from my neighbor. He isnt as exact on his labeling as I am.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »
The lemon guava is a bit (to me) on the sweet / tart citrus end of the flavor curve, but nowhere as tart as a Lemon drop mangosteen. They thrive with little attention other than water and fertilizer here and in the years I've had them not once have I found scale or white fly on it. I love them but, so do fruit flies :-(

Ruby supreme so far is my fave, the aroma of one fruit will fill a house with the smell of guava, and the flavor is my reference for what much of the guava family should taste like. Unfortunately I cannot keep scale off of mine, and I'll likely pull it this fall after a couple of years struggling with it if I don't get fruit.

The one of the many that I got called "Mexican Cream" is just OK. Not much aroma, weak flavor, but that's on a sample of one or two fruits its first fruiting season. I can keep white fly and scale off it (both love it) with with water jetting it off or using horticultural oil.  I'm hoping it, my Barbie pink (so far NO scale found on it in around a year) and some sort of "Asian white" (gets scale really bad too) will give up some more flavor references.

Of all the fruits I have Guava are the most frustrating to grow. Either they languish and die on their own, or just don't thrive and I pull them. Then there's the mislabeling, Arrrggghhhh...

Regards,

Gary

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »
i just ordered guava seeds on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/lsraseeds/m.html

anyone know this guy ?

i got the "White Indian"
and "Bumpy ultra dwarf"

he described the white Indian as best tasting, and i got the dwarf to use as a sort of ground cover
under mango and other fruit trees.
he has pics of the mother trees (honestly dont look that well taken care of)
 but i am now in search of the "best guava" i can find.
i have about 12 plants growing from seed from at least 6 different sources and types.
many have started fruiting this year.

speaking of loosing tags i have this guava that started fruiting in a small container.

i have no idea what it is (besides Psidium)
but ive never seen one flower at 4 inches above soil line in a 1gal container.
i may prune it back and make it compact.
it would be cool to have a dozen or so like this 2ft tall giving fruit.

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 02:33:50 PM »
That seems like a cool project. Hope it turns out some good info and you share what you learn!
Gnappi I thought guava would be easy to grow. I guess I was very wrong.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 10:41:34 PM »
That seems like a cool project. Hope it turns out some good info and you share what you learn!
Gnappi I thought guava would be easy to grow. I guess I was very wrong.

They are easy to grow, others don't seem to have the problems with scale and white fly I do. Did you notice nobody else piped in agreeing with me?

I don't get it, every other tree I have temporary scale and whitefly issues with like my sugar apples (whitefly) soursop and caimito (scale) I readily control with water spraying, insecticidal soap and or oil application.

On the plus side, guava "generally" grow fast and they're usually inexpensive enough to give them a try, that is unless you buy an expensive one like Allahabad that dies, like mine did. :-)
Regards,

Gary

chris1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 11:54:39 PM »
Gotcha. Well I don't mind spending a little extra for the right variety but I have yet to see anyone with an overwhelming success story for any one type. I will just keep,looking and maybe do Guava some other time unless something jumps out at me between now and my next trip down to Excalibur.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk