Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 946718 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2025 on: May 23, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
Agree. Those pots underground can accumulate a lot of water and when summer rainy season comes in Florida you can have problems. Still time to get them above ground. I have tried different ways but all new plantings I'm doing with pots above ground on pavers with a dry container mix.  This is a very challenging crop in Florida because our high humidity and rain.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: May 23, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »
Hi there all, I am looking for some assistance. I have a group of Dragon Fruit cuttings that I planted a few weeks back. Most of the cuttings have not exhibited any new growth since I planted them, but one cutting has developed a white area across the surface of the cutting. The white out area is about 1 inch around, and starts at the soil surface. The cutting is not rooted. I have the Dragon Fruit planted in a peat moss/perlite mix. I water them about every 3-4 days, and the cuttings only receive morning sun where they are located. Besides the discoloration, there are no obvious signs of distress or problems with the cutting. The other cuttings located in a similar area, but planted separately do not have any discoloration like that. I think I have eight cuttings total, only one has developed new growth. I live in an arid climate. We currently have daily temperatures above 100 degrees.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2027 on: May 23, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »
Hi there all, I am looking for some assistance. I have a group of Dragon Fruit cuttings that I planted a few weeks back. Most of the cuttings have not exhibited any new growth since I planted them, but one cutting has developed a white area across the surface of the cutting. The white out area is about 1 inch around, and starts at the soil surface. The cutting is not rooted. I have the Dragon Fruit planted in a peat moss/perlite mix. I water them about every 3-4 days, and the cuttings only receive morning sun where they are located. Besides the discoloration, there are no obvious signs of distress or problems with the cutting. The other cuttings located in a similar area, but planted separately do not have any discoloration like that. I think I have eight cuttings total, only one has developed new growth. I live in an arid climate. We currently have daily temperatures above 100 degrees.

It is not uncommon for Dragon Fruit cuttings to not exhibit any new growth after a couple of weeks (or months).

Dragon Fruit cuttings need very little water (or no water) until they start growing roots.

Have you watched this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GmuSTx7IHo&

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: May 23, 2017, 07:01:05 PM »
I have not seen that. Just watched it. I know that Dragon Fruit can be slow to root. I was just wondering if the discoloration is normal. I am careful not to overwater them. I know they are cacti, and I don't want to overwater, so I usually wait till the top inch or so of soil is dry before I water again, and at that I don't water a lot.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: May 23, 2017, 10:21:59 PM »
I have not seen that. Just watched it. I know that Dragon Fruit can be slow to root. I was just wondering if the discoloration is normal. I am careful not to overwater them. I know they are cacti, and I don't want to overwater, so I usually wait till the top inch or so of soil is dry before I water again, and at that I don't water a lot.

Can you post a picture of the cutting with white out area?

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #2030 on: May 24, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »
If a cutting hasn't started new growth in weeks/months, then make a fresh cut on the top to create a new wound.  Even removing just a half inch slice is enough.  They can handle full sun and need it.

You do this after it has been in the ground already for a few weeks, it might sprout branches from nearly every node.

That said, morning sun isn't enough.  You need to put your cutting in some nice hot scorching sunlight with maybe a little filtered light overhead.  Such as at the base of a small open canopy tree.

When you are watering at this stage, avoid too much wet in the soil.  Water the cactus itself, and only dampen the soil occasionally.  Otherwise you will create rot and prevent it from sending out roots properly.  This cactus needs to search for water to properly establish roots from a cutting--force it to do so.  Water the outer edges of the pot when you do water it.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: May 24, 2017, 02:25:16 PM »
I can post a picture when i get home. I was trying to avoid putting the cuttings out in the full sun because it gets to be over 100 here, and the sun is brutal. I have read conflicting info that dragon fruit will burn if they are left in full sun when it is super intense. I have been spraying the cuttings with water the last few days. I do not mind waiting for new growth, i just want them to not die.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: May 24, 2017, 10:02:54 PM »

Pic of affected plant. White out zone

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: May 24, 2017, 10:04:25 PM »

Mag

• Austin TX Zone 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: May 24, 2017, 11:45:21 PM »
I have seen this with young cuttings if they get too much hot direct sun. Young cuttings have thin walls and when I've seen it they almost formed blisters that later turned white like this. If the middle inner core is intact they seem to survive. I haven't seen this happen with old thick cuttings, even in full sun.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: May 25, 2017, 12:33:02 AM »
I bought these cuttings on E bay. It came from an established, productive plant. The cuttings are getting morning only sun. However, i live in the desert, and the sun is unforgiving here. Although, i have not seen any similar discoloration on any of the other cuttings, and they are located in the same general area. I am just kinda watching the cuttings for now. Like i said before most of them are not rooted, including the one that has developed that odd discoloration.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #2036 on: May 25, 2017, 10:03:54 AM »
Just looks like the tissue rotted away.  If you touch it, and it peels back like dry skin then it is just dead tissue and can be removed.

The center core will usually still be alive.  You can prune the tip of it to make sure that part is still alive.

This could have been caused by too much heat st the soil line.  Try adding some mulch to keep the surface layer cooler in the desert heat.  Use a lighter colored pot, like tan, to reflect light and avoid causing dead zones inside the soil.

Personally, I would use fabric pots--such as smart pot or 247.  No issues with dead zones with or without mulching.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2037 on: May 25, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »
Does anyone have experience using cedar posts for the trellis? I can't seem to find an answer if the naturally occurring chemicals in the cedar will have a negative effect on the dragonfruit vines.
-Josh

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #2038 on: May 25, 2017, 12:16:53 PM »
I've used cedar wrapped in burlap and had no issues before.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: May 25, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »

Pic of affected plant. White out zone

If it is growing and the white area is not expanding... I would leave it alone.  If the white area is soft, jelly like inside, I would scrape it away or start over.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2040 on: May 25, 2017, 01:03:25 PM »
I've used cedar wrapped in burlap and had no issues before.

Thank you. Any idea on expected lifespan here in Florida. I was going to pour my own cement 4x4 but that will be a PITA.
-Josh

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 25, 2017, 04:36:34 PM »
The white area isnt spongy. It doesnt really feel any different from the rest of the plant. The top half looks normal. I bought some soil conditioner today to use as a mulch for the plants. Also came up on some chicken manure compost. I have heard that is a good organic mix for dragon fruit. Any ideas if i should mix in the manure compost, or wait till the cuttings root?

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #2042 on: May 25, 2017, 05:23:39 PM »
If it is a callous, then either leave it alone or cut it off.  Some whitening can be a sign of viral spread which can be cut away, but sounds like yours is just a callous.

I would not add any type of compost to the soil until you have established roots.   Just feed with foliars meanwhile.  They love fish emul and kelp mixes.

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 25, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »
I have that same white area on some of my plants, and have had it for a little while, not Jelly, just Firm like the rest of the cutting. Hasn't seemed to affect them much and I've left them alone.

Also, I took Rick and Carlos' advice and improved drainage, adding prob 4-6 inches of drainage rock in the holes and elevating the pots. Not going to take them out of the ground but I think it's a fair compromise. My mix is also very well draining:

Compost
Organic potting soil
Perlite
Sand

Cheers!

-Casey

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 27, 2017, 11:59:04 AM »
The soil they are in is very light, and i mixed perlite in there also. I have a compost mix, but i have heard conflicting ideas on whether to add it in there at this point bcause they are not rooted. I have been spraying the cuttings with superthrive the last few days, so we will see if they like that. I was going to start composting the cuttings that show signs of new growth.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 27, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »
The soil they are in is very light, and i mixed perlite in there also. I have a compost mix, but i have heard conflicting ideas on whether to add it in there at this point bcause they are not rooted. I have been spraying the cuttings with superthrive the last few days, so we will see if they like that. I was going to start composting the cuttings that show signs of new growth.

My advice is to keep it simple like shown in the video I shared with you.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 31, 2017, 12:38:41 AM »
So, i am feeling a little bit hopeless with these cuttings today. Out of seven original cuttings, i have one with definite growth, and one with possible rooting, and i have 5 cuttings that have nothing going on whatsoever. The part that bums me out is that like 4 out of the 5 cuttings i have are shriveled. They have no "meat" left on them. They are green still, but they dont have any reserves left, which leaves me wondering how long they can hold on.😫

miracle

• Los Angeles, California, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 31, 2017, 01:18:28 AM »
Here is how I grow my  dragon fruit from cutting.
I cut a couple fat branches from the DR plant. I keep on the side in the shade area about two or three weeks. Make sure all the fresh cuts are completely dry out.
Soils, I use my back yard: 50% clay soil and 50% organic muches from Home Depot.
I plant the above cuts and water once. And water again when the soils are almost out. They are cactus family. They do not need a lot of water like other fruit trees.
DO NOT WATER LIKE YOUR FRUIT TREE. Regular water the cuts will rotten. No water or less water the cut will root, just a matter of survival. Do not feel frustrated,  some time the cuts will do nothing for months. They will set their own pace to shoot out the new grow.
I feed them every three months with organic Alaska Fish Emulsion from Lowes or Home Depot.
Good luck
Simple life is the best...cause life is too short.
Let it be....

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 31, 2017, 01:50:03 AM »
Maybe some shade will help in Hana's case since the weather is so extreme. Shade cloth like the Arizona growers.

Hana321

• la quinta, ca, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 31, 2017, 10:50:44 AM »
I only water cuttings about once a week, and at anotherey dont swim. It is just a quick little water dip. They are watered very sparingly compared to my fruit trees, which are extremely demanding by comparison. I have not fertilized with anything. I have been spraying cuttings daily with Superthrive. I am some point will have to set up a shadecloth, but where the cuttings are they are spared the horror of afternoon full sun. I have another set of dragon fruit cuttings in another part of the yard, and they are catching afternoon sun, and they are getting some spots that seem to be sunburn, so i will likely have to move that batch. I have pulled up the cuttings that are not rooted, and have not found any signs of rotting. No sponginess.