Author Topic: Adding iron sulfate to mulch for chlorosis  (Read 2675 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Adding iron sulfate to mulch for chlorosis
« on: October 26, 2014, 09:37:25 AM »
Mulches can increase availability of certain elements in the soil. Gardeners can make a synthetic chelate with mulch by mixing one cup of iron sulfate (copperas) to each bushel of mulch applied. Iron particles will adhere to the surface of the mulching material and will be released for plant use as decomposition occurs around plants. Iron sulfate treated mulches are also effective when incorporated into the soil.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/drought/mulches.html

******  I have some thick 12" mulches around some trees. So why not sprinkle a cup of iron sulfate on top? By the time the iron gets down to the roots it will be chelated. Or most will. Especially now in the Florida dry season so less rain to wash the iron down quickly. I have some ferrous sulfate from ebay and will be doing this. I also have Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and will do the same.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:39:10 AM by zands »

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Adding iron sulfate to mulch for chlorosis
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 09:47:54 AM »
I read many times that iron-chelate is the best for plants. Why not buy that instead of iron sulfate?

Here in thailand i can't find ironchelate, it seems that nobody needs that here. All other chelates are easy to find.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:11:11 AM »
I read many times that iron-chelate is the best for plants. Why not buy that instead of iron sulfate?

Here in thailand i can't find ironchelate, it seems that nobody needs that here. All other chelates are easy to find.

Iron chelates get expensive when you have a commercial orchard. The costs adds up. I just grow stuff at home but why pay for expensive chelates if you can do it yourself? In your situation you can buy iron sulfate, add it to mulch, create your own iron chelates you say are unavailable in Thailand

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 10:30:33 AM »

Iron chelates get expensive when you have a commercial orchard. The costs adds up. I just grow stuff at home but why pay for expensive chelates if you can do it yourself? In your situation you can buy iron sulfate, add it to mulch, create your own iron chelates you say are unavailable in Thailand

Yup ironchelate is not cheap but i don't know the price of iron sulfate which is also not availlable here. My plants don't have chlorosis but if so then i would use chelate . Most of the time the problem is the ph so iron is not availlable for the plant.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:45:09 AM »
Mulches can increase availability of certain elements in the soil. Gardeners can make a synthetic chelate with mulch by mixing one cup of iron sulfate (copperas) to each bushel of mulch applied. Iron particles will adhere to the surface of the mulching material and will be released for plant use as decomposition occurs around plants. Iron sulfate treated mulches are also effective when incorporated into the soil.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/drought/mulches.html

******  I have some thick 12" mulches around some trees. So why not sprinkle a cup of iron sulfate on top? By the time the iron gets down to the roots it will be chelated. Or most will. Especially now in the Florida dry season so less rain to wash the iron down quickly. I have some ferrous sulfate from ebay and will be doing this. I also have Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and will do the same.

Fantastic tip.  Thanks Zands.  I already add minerals on top of mulch for the "chelating action" but it never dawned on me that I could try iron sulphate with my high ph soil.  But this makes perfect sense and could save me some $    Dave

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 06:39:50 PM »
You can get iron into the ground through iron filing sweepings. If there's a factory around that works iwith metal it's worth paying a visit , just ask if you can do a bit of sweeping and chances are this will be ok.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 07:46:25 AM »
It somewhat depends on your soil pH, the iron sulfate doesn't work very well in higher pH soils.  The iron chelate works in both.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 09:00:23 AM »
It somewhat depends on your soil pH, the iron sulfate doesn't work very well in higher pH soils.  The iron chelate works in both.

You missed the part where the iron sulfate gets chelated into the wood chips. It forms iron chelates before it hits the soil and roots.

What are common iron chelates and other metallic chelates used in agriculture?  >>>>>>>

http://www.southernag.com/docs/labels_msds/chcitr.pdf
Derived from: Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Lignin Sulfate Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Lignin Sulfate
Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Lignin Sulfate Chelate, Ferrous Sulfate, Ferrous Lignin Sulfate Chelate. Chelating agent is Lignin Sulfate

Notice all the lignin chelates above.
Lignins=wood ///to put it in simple terms///Lignins are found in wood///can be extracted from wood to use in various purposes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignin
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:02:16 AM by zands »

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 09:11:51 AM »

You missed the part where the iron sulfate gets chelated into the wood chips. It forms iron chelates before it hits the soil and roots.

What are common iron chelates and other metallic chelates used in agriculture?  >>>>>>>

http://www.southernag.com/docs/labels_msds/chcitr.pdf
Derived from: Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Lignin Sulfate Chelate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Lignin Sulfate
Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Lignin Sulfate Chelate, Ferrous Sulfate, Ferrous Lignin Sulfate Chelate. Chelating agent is Lignin Sulfate

Notice all the lignin chelates above.
Lignins=wood ///to put it in simple terms///Lignins are found in wood///can be extracted from wood to use in various purposes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignin

brilliant deduction Dr Zands!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk