Author Topic: How to order a soil test from Spectrum Analytics and simlar?  (Read 2127 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Cookie Monster posted the following in a recent thread:  You can get a soil test from Spectrum Analytics for $14 (the S3 ag test). They use the same extraction method as UF, which is adequate for calcareous soils. Results are delivered elctronicall within 24 hours of receipt, and you can get fertilizer recommendations for a specific crop (eg, mango).

Jeff, can you walk us through exactly what type of tests/reports you thought were helpful.  Does one have to order the soil "bag" that holds the sample or just send in a ziploc bag?  Thanks!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: How to order a soil test from Spectrum Analytics and simlar?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »
:-) It's pretty easy. First you have to create an account on their website. Then login and go to eSubmit => Start a new submission => Use online form. Select "Ag Soil" as the sample type and select the number of samples you want (ie, if you want to send in more than one sample). Select "S3" under "Pkg" in the Sample Information section (S3 is a full assay of all micros and P and K; you can also do S1 or S2 if you only want info on a select group of micros). Add an ID for your sample (eg, "Mango tree north").

Click save and return to the submissions list. Click on the checkbox next to the entry and select "Paperwork." This will give you the shipping label and the cost for your submission. You will need to include that plus a check when you send in your sample.

Then fill a ziplock sandwich bag with soil, preferably left out to dry for a day. I use USPS flat rate shipping and can fit 2 samples in the small flat rate box. When they receive your submission, they will delete it from the submissions list, and you will get the results within 24 hours of them receiving your sample.

The results will appear under the "Results" tab. You can tailor the results for a specific crop by entering the crop id on the results page (right now the most useful one is 606, which is the id for mango.

They will also send you a copy of the results by snail mail, which you will receive roughly 3 days after the online results are available.

They use the mehlich 3 extraction method, which is what UF has been using as of a couple of years ago and is suited for calcareous south florida soil.

Here is what your report will look like:

Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 07:59:32 PM »
Some notes on my lab report (above):

- Calcium saturation is high, with 6k parts per million and a ph of 7.1. The recommendation (at the bottom) is for 257 pounds of sulfur per acre to flush out some of the Ca and drop the ph to a 6.8. The recommendation takes into account the high Calcium Exchange Capacity of my soil (which corresponds to the buffer capacity -- meaning I need more sulfur to affect a ph change). I need to reapply sulfur every year or two, since my irrigation system re-introduces calcium.

- I'm lacking in potassium and magnesium. The recommendation is for 61 pounds / acre of potassium and 18 pounds / acre of magnesium. I can satisfy this with k-mag (sul-po-mag or langbeinite), which is an organic product.

- Copper is low. I can satisfy that by spraying a higher concentration copper fungicide (I got the highest OMRI listed copper fungicide on the market -- Nordox 75 WG). In this case I can kill 2 birds with one stone, controlling anthracnose via a foliar spray and enriching the soil with the runoff.

- Manganese is low. This is very typical of south florida soil. I'm using manganese sulfate. I haven't been able to find a local supplier of granular manganese sulfate, so I've just been using Tecmangam, which is a powder. Generally it's not recommended to broadcast it (due to leaching), but given the high CEC of my soil, it should retain a lot of the Mn with a broadcast treatment. I will report back on this after next year's soil sample. The recommendation of 3 pounds per acre is apparently for a foilar treatment, as a broadcast rate would be 10x that.

- My soil has a fairly high nitrate level, due to the monstrous quantities of mulch I have added over the last decade. The recommendation for 50 pounds / acre nitrate would probalby only be valid if I were using a synthetic N fertilizer, which would leach quickly. I haven't used nitrogen fertilizer in many years.

Marl, or soil with ridiculously high levels of calcium is an entirely different ballgame in which some sulfates are not effective, and micros need to be applied via chelate drenches or foliar sprays. But, in my case, I can bring the pH down to neutral and below with sulfur. I do have a layer of limestone just beneath my soil, but I have built up a 10 - 12 inch layer of compost + sand on top of the limestone that I can keep at a neutral ph. The feeder roots thrive in that layer of compost, while the anchor roots dig down into the lime stone rubble.

As a very rough rule of thumb, I think you can effectively modify the pH of your soil if the Ca content is under 1% (or under 10k parts per million).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:08:38 PM by Cookie Monster »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:32:54 PM »
Thanks for creating the post Gunnar and thanks for sharing the info about sending in soil samples Cookie Monster! I'm going to send in a few samples myself.

Simon

Rnguyen

• 10b orange county, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 08:38:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing! Bought a soil test kit but doesn't test for all these.

- Rick

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 09:02:42 PM »
Just saw on their website that they also can test irrigation water.
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 09:14:55 PM »
:-) Those soil test kits -- the ones you can buy for $15 at home cheapo -- are also of highly questionable accuracy. I tried one a couple of years ago, and it was way off.

The other thing is that you can't come to a conclusion based on one element in isolation. Nutrient availabilty is based on a number of factors, including calcium exchange capacity, ph, levels of competing elements (eg, mg vs k), etc. So, while copper at 8.3 ppm would be really high on sandy low cec soil, it's actually low on my soil.

Spectrum analytics runs the results through a series of equations, which take these factors into account, to come up with recommendations. They say the equations are based on 1,000's of samples.

Thanks for sharing! Bought a soil test kit but doesn't test for all these.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 01:32:26 PM »
Thank you for the wonderful info.  I have paid much more for similar reports from other labs.

C.E.C. = "Cation-Exchange Capacity.  The big four cations (positively-charged ions) are Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, and Sodium.  Other cations should be present in relatively tiny amounts.
Har