Author Topic: Anona Bonanza  (Read 3841 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Anona Bonanza
« on: August 25, 2016, 09:39:35 PM »
We are slowly starting the season. Atemoyas,Ilamas, sugar apples and cherimoyas are a few weeks away. I expect a better year this unless the critters get to them first

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Anona Bonanza
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 09:51:41 PM »
wowwwww

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 12:52:28 AM »
Frank,

I don't know why we are so far behind you guys in mangoes and annonas.I'm still pollinating atemoya, and custard apple.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 12:54:07 AM »
Looks awesome Frank, I can't wait for Annona season to start in my yard. Last year, the rats ate some of my fruit, I'm hoping to get them all now before they cause more destruction.

Simon

Tropic_Al

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 12:54:59 AM »
Congrats JF, they all look good!
I feel that mine are not getting any bigger or just REALLY slow growing.
The biggest fruit I have on my El bumpo and Honey heart are about the size of a tennis ball.
Is that normal by this time? Is there anything I can do to guarantee a decent harvest or is it too late?
My Geffner atemoya in comparison is getting bigger much faster.

-Allan

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 10:18:11 AM »
Frank,

I don't know why we are so far behind you guys in mangoes and annonas.I'm still pollinating atemoya, and custard apple.

Mark
The atemoyas were pollinated in July. I stripped and prune this month to start my late crop. Mangos usually start in late July but August is the heaviest month.

Rnguyen

• 10b orange county, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 12:47:11 PM »
Frank, nice crop! 

How does the late crop do in comparison to the first? Comparable taste and size?

Rick
- Rick

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 01:06:53 PM »
Frank, nice crop! 

How does the late crop do in comparison to the first? Comparable taste and size?

Rick

Rick
It depends there are a few factors in play.....mostly climate. If we get early rains like last year you will have lots of splits on first crop and the second is better. Second crop are normally the best but early Honeyhart, Pierce and Finos are excellent if you can get them to size up by early December.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 05:30:44 PM »
Good Frank. for some reason I will probably have very few cherimoyas and atemoyas this year if I am lucky. I had tonnes of flowers, pollinated them multiple times, and a lot of fruit set only to see them burn and dryout in heat waves. Now down to last stretch and not sure those that are flowering now will even mature into edible fruit. Lost this season!

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 07:32:36 PM »
JF, what's your secret? do you give it lots of water and fertilizer?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 08:28:11 PM »

I started them with bioflora, acidify the soil with coffee grounds and cotton meal and haven't used a drop of fertilizer in a year.I water 3 x a week for 10 minutes during summer. Anonas grow like weeds and when you prune & strip the leafs ( April & August) they bloom like crazy. I'm getting serious with hand pollinating my moyas we'll see the results.

No hand pollination for Birula 2 week for Calostro you  can see the results. This should convince everyone that if you want a large crop you must hand pollinate, no ifs buts or maybes.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:35:28 PM by JF »

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 12:25:18 AM »
Looks Great Frank, thanks for the Pics

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 01:04:10 AM »
10mins of watering? Isn't that too much? Is it drip?  Maybe that's why mine are still thumb size. I put on lots of mulch and don't think I water it at all. I only water that veggie pots that I have put closed to the cherimoya/atemoya. I'm gonna start watering them everyday tomorrow.

I started them with bioflora, acidify the soil with coffee grounds and cotton meal and haven't used a drop of fertilizer in a year.I water 3 x a week for 10 minutes during summer. Anonas grow like weeds and when you prune & strip the leafs ( April & August) they bloom like crazy. I'm getting serious with hand pollinating my moyas we'll see the results.

No hand pollination for Birula 2 week for Calostro you  can see the results. This should convince everyone that if you want a large crop you must hand pollinate, no ifs buts or maybes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk