Author Topic: Where to buy atemoya trees in Dallas, Texas?  (Read 1681 times)

KeoKeo

• DFW, Texas, 8A
    • View Profile
Where to buy atemoya trees in Dallas, Texas?
« on: July 10, 2020, 11:43:26 AM »
Title says it all, folks. I’m completely new to this all so obviously never tasted one. Did some (a lot!) searching and got really interested in these. Of course, suggestions on varieties are appreciated.

Thanks!

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy atemoya trees in Dallas, Texas?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 12:32:22 PM »
If you're willing to drive to houston and back JRN Nursery has some from 3gal to fruiting size

hashad

• Dallas, Texas. Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 09:09:12 AM »
Don't think you can find Atemoya but there is a tropical fruit nursery in Irving that might have some custard apple.  Check Doan's nursery.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 09:22:25 AM »
I lived there for five years.  I'm pretty sure it gets too cold to plant atemoya in the ground.  If you've never tasted one, have you tasted cherimoya from California?  Different texture, but similar flavor.
John

SilverSapote

• United States, Central Texas, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 12:29:40 AM »
If you do end up traveling to Houston and are committed to trying the fruit, you could stop by Linda's Tropical Fruits on the west side of the city. I'm not sure if they have any fresh ones in stock at the moment, but this time last year they had a few in the fridge probably placed there after spending some time on the shelf. Still very good. JRN Nursery's second site is also a couple miles away from the shop.

Tnguyen

• Zone8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 12:47:37 PM »
Check out Tea's Garden in Arlington, Doan's Nursery in Irving, and Phuong Nursery in Garland.  Best bet is to show them a picture of the fruit since they list them in different name sometimes.  I saw alot of different varieties at Tea Garden the other day.  Hih!

KeoKeo

• DFW, Texas, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 06:49:42 PM »
If you're willing to drive to houston and back JRN Nursery has some from 3gal to fruiting size

Called them to see if they actually have it before committing the trip but they said they don’t have them. Not sure if it goes by another name but he asked what’s atemoya.

@elouicious on your next trip there can you see if they have either African pride or phet pakchong?

Negative on the other 3 nurseries mentioned.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 09:20:51 PM »
They seem to call them Antomoya there for some reason, I am going this weekend but do not recall seeing those varieties

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 10:45:27 PM »
If you feel like a project I have some atemoya seeds and also sugar apple seeds for sale.
You can grow some seedlings and graft scions later. I have scions and many other people
on this forum sell scions. It's a project but I am raising some seedlings now for next Spring.
There was a person from CA on ebay selling African Pride at a reasonable price but the listing
is not up now?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 02:27:25 PM »
Finally went back- they definitely have them- i saw lisa an geffner at least

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk