Author Topic: Help for uneven ripping of Carrie mango while on tree  (Read 4171 times)

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Help for uneven ripping of Carrie mango while on tree
« on: August 04, 2015, 03:55:26 PM »
This Carrie is planted in 120 gallon pot. The fruit it produced has jelly seed and uneven ripping. The fruit tends to ripen at the bottom and the shoulders are still solid green. When the skin slightly changed color the fruit would be over ripened. This is the only tree that I have a problem with. Is this due to lack of calcium sulfate or any other mineral deficiency?
RichardN

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Help for uneven ripping of Carrie mango while on tree
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 02:09:14 AM »
Picture of Carrie with jelly seed.

RichardN

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 03:22:42 PM »
My Cogshall did this this year too. If I picked them about 4 days early and let them ripen inside, it was better, but still some jelly seed. Not sure what the fix is either.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »
It's been a bad year for uneven ripening. Many of my mango trees have had the same issue. It's easy to mitigate though -- pick the fruit while green and ripen indoors. I actually prefer carrie picked green to tree-ripened carries anyway (flesh is firmer and retains more acidity that way).
Jeff  :-)

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 10:27:28 PM »
Thank you for all your help..
RichardN

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 12:49:18 AM »
RichardN,
Found a thread on jelllyseed:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6304.0

Some say lack of calcium/calcium sulfate.
Some varieties are just more prone to jelly seed than others.

btw... is that a typo?  120 gallon pot?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:52:51 AM by wslau »
Warren

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 01:39:15 AM »
Carrie is not known to be prone to jelly seed.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 11:09:45 AM »
Agree with Rob. Though I've had uneven ripening in a number of trees this year, I've never had jelly seed on my carrie.

Though it could be a nutritional issue, you can thwart it by picking green, which is something I'd recommend on the carrie regardless.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 11:19:23 AM »
Agree with Rob. Though I've had uneven ripening in a number of trees this year, I've never had jelly seed on my carrie.

Though it could be a nutritional issue, you can thwart it by picking green, which is something I'd recommend on the carrie regardless.

Yeah, unless you miss a few on a full grown tree, Carries should be picked mature green or at most, a slight color break on the shoulders (not sunburn but actual color break).  When the ripen on the tree, the texture gets really soft, actuall too soft, and the taste it below par as far as a Carrie goes.
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 11:25:08 AM »
Just a question for you guys, do you think that the fact this is planted in a 120 gallon container have anything to do with this Jelly Seed situation?  I mean what happens if the roots are wet for too long when fruit are hanging on the tree?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »
Just a question for you guys, do you think that the fact this is planted in a 120 gallon container have anything to do with this Jelly Seed situation?  I mean what happens if the roots are wet for too long when fruit are hanging on the tree?

Nah..I have seen many varieties, including Carrie, planted and fruiting in 100, 200, 300 and 500 gallon and jelly seed does not seem to be an issue due to being pot grown.  I am gonna make an estmated assumption it is basically due to hanging on the tree for too long.  Could there also be a nutrient issue, maybe but I dont think that is the root of the cause (no pun intended).
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »
One mango tree had lots of uneven ripening. It was so bad that critters would attack and eat at the ripe part making the fruits a loss. I am blaming this on the screwy warm winter which threw off timing for mango trees. Then we (most of us in Eastern South Florida?) had a second bloom about Feb7 after some cold temperature. 85% of my second blooms did not make fruits.

All my mango trees are 3-4 weeks early. I have 60% the mango yield I had last year.
Funny you should mention Carrie. Great yield and lots of happy Carrie eaters
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 04:02:08 PM by zands »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 11:51:43 PM »

Nah..I have seen many varieties, including Carrie, planted and fruiting in 100, 200, 300 and 500 gallon and jelly seed does not seem to be an issue due to being pot grown.  I am gonna make an estmated assumption it is basically due to hanging on the tree for too long.  Could there also be a nutrient issue, maybe but I dont think that is the root of the cause (no pun intended).

Thanks, I honestly was not sure if container size had any effect on jelly seed.  call me spoiled, but I just cannot eat any mango with Jelly seed, and/or internal breakdown.  I'll just toss it and get another.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 12:57:17 AM »
RichardN,
Found a thread on jelllyseed:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6304.0

Some say lack of calcium/calcium sulfate.
Some varieties are just more prone to jelly seed than others.

btw... is that a typo?  120 gallon pot?
No typo
RichardN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk