Author Topic: Xie shan  (Read 5274 times)

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Xie shan
« on: September 03, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »
Xie shan fruit in SE Texas already
sweet enough to eat.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Xie shan
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 10:19:13 AM »
Phil, in south Texas has Xie Shan's peel already turned color, or is it still green (satsumas can mature before color change). Mine here in Colorado (greenhouse) are large enough but still very green.  I should try one and see how it is.  Xie Shan is one of the earliest citrus to become eatable.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »
Phil, in south Texas has Xie Shan's peel already turned color, or is it still green (satsumas can mature before color change). Mine here in Colorado (greenhouse) are large enough but still very green.  I should try one and see how it is.  Xie Shan is one of the earliest citrus to become eatable.

I start tasting when still green and fruit is soft. Fruit can be ready when green. I had hopes these fruit would be good quality but it is not turning out that way. I fertilized early so I got a good bloom but the fruit is puffy and dry anyway. Tree is 3 years in ground. I am 500 miles north of South Texas in SE Texas!

Untitled by philip sauber, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:15:41 AM by mrtexas »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 08:28:37 PM »
I picked a 100 percent green Xie Shan today, to test the taste.   Not quite ready, the fruit was about 80% mature.  Still a couple weeks.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 11:16:23 PM »
Anyone know any mail order nurseries that carry Xie Shan? Or does anyone have any seeds they could send me?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »
Xie Shan is seedless.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »
Anyone know any mail order nurseries that carry Xie Shan? Or does anyone have any seeds they could send me?

Harris Citrus used to, thats where I got mine, but it looks like they don't currently carry it.  I've never seen another source for mail order. 

That reminds me, I need to check on my Xie Shan, wonder if it has fruit.

EDIT - it isn't doing so well.  It is is about the same size as when I bought it last year.  Cotton cushion scale hit it pretty hard and it had some dieback.  I need to get a systemic pesticide to reset my scale problem.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:49:40 PM by brian »

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 12:44:13 PM »
Xie Shan is seedless.

The occasional seed. CCPP has budwood.

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 10:17:43 PM »
Here is one of two Xie Shan I got from Harris two years ago.  One flowered and fruited with these four being it first fruits; the other just had vegetative growth although I did graft shiranui and 88-2 on it.  Interestingly, the one pictured is outside on the southside of the greenhouse.  It got down to at least 14 degrees last winter for one night  (This was a thermometer that was right next to the tree.  I stopped looking after that).  The outside temp was single digits.  An owari and an arctic frost just to the east of this had frost damage but they have both come back strong this summer.   I'll probably wait another month before I pick one. 

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 07:29:44 PM »
I went ahead and picked one fruit when still green.  It was not good.  It probably still needs another month.  Also, the segments had a tough skin like a grapefruit.  Granted this is the first year so we'll see if it gets better.  It was seedless and fairly easy to peel. 

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 09:24:10 PM »
Again, this is first time fruit.  There is only 4 fruit.  The second and third fruit were half rotting on the tree.  One finally fell off, and the other was about to fall off.  The second one tasted terrible like a grapefruit.  The third one was a little better.  Hopefully it will improve with time. 

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 09:15:47 PM »
Ive heard from another local grower xie shan is a lot more cold hardy than he expected. Here his owari was  lost a few years ago at 19 while the xie shan did not appear to be bothered. Your comments seem to further affirm this.

GardenScientist

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 07:56:10 AM »
Mrtexas,

Any recommendations for sources (either budwood or trees) in the Sugar Land area?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 08:09:31 PM »
Harris Citrus is carrying Xie Shan again, if anybody is still looking for it.\

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 12:32:24 PM »
Xie shan fruit in SE Texas already
sweet enough to eat.

My Xie shans are still hard and dark green.  I am in Houston, so very close to mrtexas.  It's grafted it onto an Qwari and I wonder if that makes a difference with its ripening schedule.  Still July seems remarkably early.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

loneroc1

• Lone Rock Wisconsin USA USDA Zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »
Stan McKenzie carries Xie Shan.

I got an XS on Flying Dragon from him about two months ago.

It's not on his website but give him a call and see if he still has any (843) 373-8547

loneroc1
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:11:38 PM by loneroc1 »

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 10:03:49 AM »
Very good to have precocious Xie shan. Congrats on your harvest.  I only have the one branch grafted on an Owari.  Here is a pic of my Xie shan taken 7/14/2018.  I picked one just to be sure of its state and it was clearly a long way from being ready.

Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 11:20:23 AM »
Again, this is first time fruit.  There is only 4 fruit.  The second and third fruit were half rotting on the tree.  One finally fell off, and the other was about to fall off.  The second one tasted terrible like a grapefruit.  The third one was a little better.  Hopefully it will improve with time. 

Are you sure the picture shows a fruit with a shoulder, mine are pretty smooth.