Author Topic: Acacia NT Region - need advice  (Read 1204 times)

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Acacia NT Region - need advice
« on: August 27, 2016, 12:41:55 PM »
Hi! For all the Oz members - esp those who have experience living in NT - I just need some advice if a hoophouse like this will last at least a few years given the NT climate? My grandparents used to tell me about how they lost their house and all of their livestock because of Cyclone Tracy - and yes, I know building standards have changed a lot since then but you never know.

https://www.noble.org/global/ag/horticulture/poly-pipe-hh-plans/nf-ho-12-02.pdf

Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Acacia NT Region - need advice
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 09:56:09 PM »
That structure would last seconds of a Tracey or Yasi event and it looks like even a cat 2 wouldn't leave much above the ground.Luckily the NT doesn't have that many cyclones and perhaps the top could be dismantled.I would check with the manufacturer about wind resistance thresholds and especially solar exposure tolerance considering the off the chart solar radiation levels you would have.They might also be able to advise on whether it can be dismantled before an event.

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 01:36:27 AM »
Don't understand why you'd want to put up a structure like that in Acacia, unless you were wanting to dry things. Wouldn't be any good trying to grow anything in it. And the solar radiation as Mike said would reduce it to crumbs in no time. Materials have to be completely UV resistant.

Acacia is a bit inland but still affected by cyclones, although not generally to the extent of places right on the coast. It wouldn't need a cyclone to reduce a structure like that though. It might help if you mentioned the purpose behind wanting up a structure like that.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:07:36 AM »
It's the only one the sis-in-law and I can manage to put up on our own. Otherwise I need to shop around for the commercial greenhouse and a contractor.
I will be using it primarily for aquaponics and to as a temporary holding area for plants (trees) that need to be mollycoddled after purchase until they grow a bit larger for planting in ground.
I'm looking at Apex for a glasshouse or Monbulk for a hoop/shadehouse but I will be asking the neighbours as to who built their structures and what the usual problems are when a cyclone blows over.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk