Author Topic: Hybridization in bananas (Musa sp.)  (Read 134 times)

Lauta_hibrid

• Argentina, Buenos Aires, La Plata 9B
    • View Profile
Hybridization in bananas (Musa sp.)
« on: February 02, 2024, 08:53:14 AM »
Good morning, my name is Lautaro and I am trying to generate a new variety through hybridization.  I always liked bananas, Musa sp., and genetics and thanks to fate I was able to find a couple of varieties and species of my interest.  I have not seen anything on the forum about this topic so if there is already a thread, let me know, so as not to repeat information.  The bananas that we know are originated from a hybridization of two species M. acuminata and M. balbiciana and created the Musa x paradisíaca (the one we know without seeds. My idea is to hybridize to create new varieties and perhaps make some mutations to ensure that they do not have seeds. The species I have are M. ornata, M. velutina, Orito banana (M. x paradisíaca), Musa acuminata microcarpa var. Zebrina and some patio bananas of unknown cultivar. This is not just an idea, I was already able to pollinate musa ornata with M. velutina and I am waiting for its fruits to ripen 💪☺️.

1°- Musa velutina
2°- Musa ornata
3° Musa acuminata zebrina (from internet)

Here you can see the first green ovaries that were pollinated that same day (it had not yet released its own pollen)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk