Author Topic: Young pickering mango tree wilting/ browning away ?  (Read 392 times)

PickeringSFL

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Young pickering mango tree wilting/ browning away ?
« on: July 26, 2023, 07:23:47 PM »
 Hi,

Tree: Mango- Pickering

I had 3 young mango trees in 1 pot (the middle pot, please reference photos). On Saturday, I transplanted 2 of the mango trees into new pots (Please see photos). That Sunday night I boiled potatoes in a pot and used warm potatoe water to fertilize all 3 mango trees. I have not seen my mango trees since Sunday night, but today after I got home from work I noticed middle mango tree browning away. All 3 mango trees have been getting enough water.  Browning mango tree was healthy before transplant of the other 2.

Please help me save browning young mango tree.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Young pickering mango tree wilting/ browning away ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 07:44:18 PM »
Make sure the tree is in 100% shade
When you took out the other two trees you must have stressed the roots?
In the future I usually keep one mango per pot? And last don't over
water now and don't add fertilizer or potato water until the tree flushes
new growth

PickeringSFL

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 08:21:41 PM »
Make sure the tree is in 100% shade
When you took out the other two trees you must have stressed the roots?
In the future I usually keep one mango per pot? And last don't over
water now and don't add fertilizer or potato water until the tree flushes
new growth

I did remove some foxtail palm branches they were above them, but still plenty of shade. So the backstory with the 3 mango trees in one pot.  I transplanted the young mango tree growing in the middle of my yard into middle pot. It was fine and healthy the following week the guys that cut my lawn placed 2 mango seeds into middle pot. I didn’t pay attention, next thing about 2 weeks later i noticed the seeds sprouted and out comes out to young mango trees. The other thing I was wondering the mango seeds that lawn guys planted have wider leaves when compared to the one i originally planted. Could it be that the lawn guys planted a different type of mango seeds in my pot? My Pickering mature mango tree ( 11ft tall)  that I have in my yard has narrow leaves.

Midwestfruitjungle

• -10 F won’t stop me 🌱
    • USA, Indiana, 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2023, 11:22:13 PM »
it looks like some kind of burning, whether chemical or temperature-wise. Make sure that they don't dry out, but don't get overwatered. Make sure too they have consistent conditions. Preventing as much stress as possible is helpful to recovering trees. I would look for new growth, or if the new growth nodes are healthy. Hopefully, it flushes out new leaves and drops those burnt ones.

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2023, 03:37:51 AM »
What are the benefits of potato water?