Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620503 times)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #350 on: August 25, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »
Welcome Cody! Glad to see another "local" joining the board.

Tomas

peter

• Zone 8b
    • Bolton, England, United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #351 on: August 26, 2012, 09:16:26 AM »
Hello my name is Peter and I am from Bolton in the UK!
I am currently trying to grow bananas, dragon fruit, starfruit (carambola), coffee, pineapple, pomegranate, papaya, lemons, calamondin and kiwi fruit.
And I will be adding more to this list soon hopefully :)

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 27, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »
I grow inappropriate (tropical fruits) in the Washington DC area as a strange hobby (not sure why I do it, very few of them fruit for me).

I also agressively seek out new fruits and eat them wherever I go.

.. and I'm quite fond of cats.
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

CValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 13, 2012, 09:05:58 PM »
HI y'all from Central Texas!!! :D

I am avid tropical fruit fan, pushing the Zone 8b whenever I can & LOVE the challenge of germinating seeds!!
Am a tropical fruit nut...It all started with 3 little Dwarf Namwah banana plants. ;D

I have a few varieties of passionfruit, 3 varieties of dragonfruit, a variegated pink lemon, a mandarin orange, a mexican lime tree, 5 varieties of pomegranates, a loquat, a Lila avocado tree & SCADS of banana plants!! (Plus a few date, apple & misc. citrus seedlings) :)

Not a Novice, but not Uber smart in all the ways of tropical fruit-dom.
Usually ask questions about fertilization(kind & frequency) & soil amendments.

Love to talk about & trade plants/seeds.
Looking to learn & GROW!!! Glad to meet y'all!! ~Cheryl

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 18, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
HI y'all from Central Texas!!! :D

I am avid tropical fruit fan, pushing the Zone 8b whenever I can & LOVE the challenge of germinating seeds!!
Am a tropical fruit nut...It all started with 3 little Dwarf Namwah banana plants. ;D

I have a few varieties of passionfruit, 3 varieties of dragonfruit, a variegated pink lemon, a mandarin orange, a mexican lime tree, 5 varieties of pomegranates, a loquat, a Lila avocado tree & SCADS of banana plants!! (Plus a few date, apple & misc. citrus seedlings) :)

Not a Novice, but not Uber smart in all the ways of tropical fruit-dom.
Usually ask questions about fertilization(kind & frequency) & soil amendments.

Love to talk about & trade plants/seeds.
Looking to learn & GROW!!! Glad to meet y'all!! ~Cheryl

Howdy Cheryl, welcome to the forum.  I see you already have a very nice collection.  anyhow, the water is fine here, just jump in anytime. ;D
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

jermaine

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 18, 2012, 01:59:37 PM »
so this my first time here so anyone want to give me seeds to grow here on guam

jcbk101

• TechTacular
  • More mango please!
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL 33411, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #356 on: September 18, 2012, 06:04:15 PM »
  Hey, why not. Better late than never. Hi, my name is John and I live in West Palm Beach.
I love fruit, specifically mango and avocado. My hobby WAS software programming but the wife kicked me off of the computer so now my hobby is growing tropical fruit trees and smaller plants. Right now I have a pickering, NDM4, Keitt and what is still an unknown mango.

In the garden, I am TRYING to grow mint, green peppers, green onion, cucumber , carrots and okra.
The only tree with any activity is my ackee tree. I guess that is it. Thanks to those who help / have helped me. :)
If you ain't first you're last! "Ricky Bobby"

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 19, 2012, 12:05:38 AM »
Hi Peter, Dan, Germaine, tabbydan, CValentine....my gosh it's been so long since I've been through this part of the Forum,
I don't know what to say.....I'm part of the California zone-pushing contigent - a fairly new bunch of people trying
to establish a west coast presence in the tropical fruit world.

Anyway, Peter - wanted to ask you (and Dan too) how you grow you're stuff?  Is it in a greenhouse or just in a large south-facing
window in the house or somewhere?

Wish you all luck and ask away!  There are some pretty savvy fruit growers in this crowd....

mangofang

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 19, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »
so this my first time here so anyone want to give me seeds to grow here on guam

This thread is for you to tell us about yourself, what you are growing and what you would to grow. It's not for asking for seeds. Trading or asking for seeds is in another forum.

larafarms

• USA, FL, MIAMI-DADE
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 19, 2012, 07:32:23 PM »
hey party people, im julian of lara farms.
we do all our grafting so that means we wholesale. 
i was raised around tropical fruits thanks to my family.
we love introducing people to all the rare fruit variety here at the farm.
I try to have the best variety of what ever im selling.
also give you the best advice i can about how to care and how u install ur new tree(s).

Heatherd

• Columbus, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Asset Supplements
« Reply #360 on: September 19, 2012, 11:57:11 PM »
 Hello All!

Want to say hello, I'm a newbie to container tropicals as I live in southern Indiana ( the 'southern' part really means nothing in regards to tropicals!) but have recently started growing, buying and almost obsessing about what I don't know and what I want to learn and grow. It's fascinating finding out that there are trees grown naturally in Africa that I can grow from a seed in a large pot and have indoors in winter in my sunroom!!! This craze started early summer with Moringa seeds and I now have many different container trees in my collection. I have tons to learn but I'm an avid reader and quick learner and hope to really be successful with trees in containers.

;D

About me- mother to 4, love to read, bike, garden, active with kids in sports and school. Oldest daughter (teen) is going to NYC for modeling contract in Oct so life is really fun right now.

Any words of advice is appreciated but if you're to busy for me, I understand completely and will just read and learn....

Thanks!!!!!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 20, 2012, 01:56:07 AM »
hey party people, im julian of lara farms.
we do all our grafting so that means we wholesale. 
i was raised around tropical fruits thanks to my family.
we love introducing people to all the rare fruit variety here at the farm.
I try to have the best variety of what ever im selling.
also give you the best advice i can about how to care and how u install ur new tree(s).

Some here are waiting for your canistel #2 grafts to be ready. Welcome!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #362 on: September 20, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »
Finally catching up with my forum threads and realized I haven't looked here for a month and a half.  I am slipping....although tropical storms and flooding did divert my attention for part of that time.  I'd like to welcome Robguz 24 (cool website btw), ScottR (thanks Ethan for the referral.....we need more CRFG members, looking forward to your contributions), ReneeFLL (got to meet you briefly, you'll have to stop back by during the next fruiting season),  Columbo973 (we are short on South Americans, glad you joined....have you posted pictures yet?  I haven't seen them, and would love to), 2ManyToyz (Robert and Dawn).....thanks Joe for the referral ( very interesting those markings on the wood framing.....like some long lost historical record), Kona400 (very much enjoyed a visit to your side of the Big Island years ago....very different grwing conditions), TNAndy (very nice collection....you sun room growers always amaze me), Picko Jack (i've seen some pictures you have posted....much appreciated.....and your English is great....keep it up), Hoosierquilt ( another So Cal and RFG member...thanks Simon for the referral......glad you joined), Bonakyon (you are our official Bay Islands, Honduran resident member....sounds like you are well on the way to a great collection of fruiting trees not native to your area), Gaberoo ( you kind of missed this summer's main fruiting season at my place, but let me take the time to mention to you and other members that they are all welcome to stop by my place if they are planning to be in the area to taste what I have available.  Lychees were a bust this year, but I am hoping for big things in the mango and lychee world next season....beginning in around May),  CWojo (thanks mikesid for the referral.......we have no shortage of So FL folk and welcome more.....the more the merrier). CValentine ( Central Texas is not exactly very hospitable place to grow what your trying to grow.  You guys are still in drought mode, aren't you?), Jermaine (come on man, you're going to have to work a bit harder to get anyone to send you some seeds......what are you growing now and tell us about your proposed growing area/conditions....the seeds will follow), LaraFarms (welcome Julian, your reputation preceeds you....glad to have more experienced and knowledgeable folks on the forum),  jcbk101 (John, you've alreadfy made your presence known on the forum....lots of good posts....keep it up), Heatherd (lots of other southerners you can commune with here...especially OhioJay in Southern Ohio.....you "southerners" need tostick together), TabbyDan (OK, so what you are saying is that you are a fruit growing wierdo.......you're in excellent company here in the forum, welcome) and Peter in UK.....good to see some more European members.  We have several and you guys are amazing zone pushers.

OK...I think I got everyone.  My apologies if I missed anyone.  Again, when members are in South Florida for vacation, please drop me a note to arrange a visit to my yard.  Happy to show you what I am doing in my fruit growing craziness.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Heatherd

• Columbus, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Asset Supplements
« Reply #363 on: September 20, 2012, 02:21:24 PM »
LOLOLOL!!!

Thanks Harry, hilarious comments to all of us new to this board! Thanks again-

Heather (actually moved to 'southern' IN from Knoxville, TN-true South :). And, hoping to move back one day!)

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 20, 2012, 10:25:47 PM »
Yeah I'm the same way, I get so carried away in the regular channels forget to say hi to the new folks, anyway just want to welcome everyone, most of us don't bite, so go ahead join the fun.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 22, 2012, 11:29:19 AM »
Welcome to all the newbies including myself. This is a wonderful forum where you will learn a lot. The people here are very helpful.

Julian my Pantin mamey is looking and doing great. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:32:09 AM by ReneeFLL »

littlegrower

• USA, Michigan, 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 24, 2012, 09:09:59 AM »
Hello to all :),
                   My name is Nikki, and I will be going by the username littlegrower. I have been a lurker for a while now, and once I found out people can buy/sell/trade things on here I had to join! :) I also love reading all the informational posts on gardenweb. This place is awesome!!! 
Nikki

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 24, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
Hello to all :),
                   My name is Nikki, and I will be going by the username littlegrower. I have been a lurker for a while now, and once I found out people can buy/sell/trade things on here I had to join! :) I also love reading all the informational posts on gardenweb. This place is awesome!!!

Welcome Nikki to the forum,  many of the folks here also frequent Gardenweb, and was started from members of that forum, that felt the interface needed updating, plus as you mentioned, less restrictions on the Buy/Sell/Trade area.   glad you made the plunge.
William

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 24, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »
HI, Nikki...and welcome to the forum.  You indicated that you are growing in the USA....any hints on your zone/state/area?
And what are you growing now or what would you like to grow in the future?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 25, 2012, 06:47:27 AM »
Hello to the community :)
This is Mike from Greece. I live in the island of Crete(Zone 10a/b?).
Am I the first greek member of this forum?
I was a lunker for some time and now I am here. I am a tropical fruit enthusiast after visiting Thailand. After tasting so many fruits there I said to me that I can grow some tropical fruiting trees in my place and enjoy the freshness.
At the momment I am growing the following trees :
Mango (many cultivars, grafted), sapodilla (from seed), Black Sapote (from seed), Jaboticaba (from seed), Jackfruit (grafted, from seed), Dragon Fruit (cuttings, from seeds), puteria sapote (from seed), Avocado (grafted), atemoya (from seed), guava (from seed), passifloras, papayas, pineapples. pawpaws (from seed).
I am looking for more mango cultivars such LZ, Maha Chanok, R2E2, Keitt, Mallika, KP or unusual and not common cultivars, durian seeds, lychees and more...

Mike
Mike

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 25, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »
Hello Mike, welcome,   

Will be interesting to see some pictures of your trees, and share your experiences from that area of the world.  Don't believe anyone else here from Greece, but we are getting folks from all over the world.
William

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 25, 2012, 02:05:03 PM »
Hi MIke and welcome to the forum. I am most interested in what can be grown on Crete.  You should have a pretty good variety that would thrive there with your Mediterranean climate.  How long have your trees been planted?  Have you had fruit crops from the trees you list?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

peter

• Zone 8b
    • Bolton, England, United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #372 on: September 25, 2012, 04:13:16 PM »
Anyway, Peter - wanted to ask you (and Dan too) how you grow you're stuff?  Is it in a greenhouse or just in a large south-facing
window in the house or somewhere?

Hi, yes I grow them in two south-facing windows.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 25, 2012, 04:41:22 PM »
Hi, thanks for the warm welcome
William
This forum is awesome, amazing interesting. Really international. Yes it will be very intereting to share my pictures and my experiences to the  forum. As soon as I feel very comfortable with posting and my English I will post pictures from my trees. My experience is not very big because I am relative new in that field.
Harry
The climate here is much more Mediterranean and subtropical than the other parts of Greece and Europe. Crete is the southest part of Europe. The only problem is the weather in January and February with temperatures between 5 - 12oC. Some trees are very sensitive to those temperatures. My oldest trees are the avocado 4 years old planted in the ground not fruited yet. All other trees are in big pots, small pots and plastic bags 1-2 years old. I hope soon I can plant many of them. Last summer my NDM had a few mangos but the fruits didn't make it to the maturity because the tree is very young. if I find pictures in my computer I can post here.
Mike
Mike

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 25, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »
The climate here is much more Mediterranean and subtropical than the other parts of Greece and Europe. Crete is the southest part of Europe. The only problem is the weather in January and February with temperatures between 5 - 12oC. Some trees are very sensitive to those temperatures. My oldest trees are the avocado 4 years old planted in the ground not fruited yet. All other trees are in big pots, small pots and plastic bags 1-2 years old. I hope soon I can plant many of them. Last summer my NDM had a few mangos but the fruits didn't make it to the maturity because the tree is very young. if I find pictures in my computer I can post here.
Mike

Your English is really good.   Jump right in, pictures are fun to post and share. Your temps aren't terrible.  How does the rainy season/dry season occur in Crete.  I wouldn't think humidity or lack therof would be a problem. is it?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA