Author Topic: New mango varieties from Zill - Lil Gem, Ambrosia, Delores, Kathy and Nancy  (Read 46640 times)

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: New mango varieties from Zill - Lil Gem, Ambrosia, Delores, Kathy and Nancy
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »
Wouldn't it be super-useful if we could come up with a chart listing all the Zill introductions of the last few years, starting with Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart, and include fruit information, tree information, ripening season for South Florida, and a rating of 1 to 5 stars?  You know, all-the-information-in-one-place kind of chart.
Well there is this thread.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1586.0
Which has this list.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T5yroo6oqvsERObsP-LtgS_zX43TkEMcqtf4_CajGGE/edit#gid=0

DM

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
How is the growth habit & taste of cotton candy & honey kiss?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile

Cotton Candy  - grafted on nursery stock, TBD.  On Turpentine in California,  a death sentence.

Honey Kiss  - very compaxt and on the slower side.

Taste - best to do a forum search.
- Rob

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile

Cotton Candy  - grafted on nursery stock, TBD.  On Turpentine in California,  a death sentence.

Honey Kiss  - very compaxt and on the slower side.

Taste - best to do a forum search.

Honey kiss is still in my wife's top two!
Joe

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Thank u so much bsbullie.

bsbullie

• View Profile
Thank u so much bsbullie.

When Honey Kiss is grown here and harvested with color the sap smells like honey, the exterior of the whole fruit smells like honey  and the flesh taates like a complex mamgo that has a distincny orange blossom honey flavor.    .When harvested green it does not give off the honey aroma. Can tend to wrinkle a little and get stem end rot,  and not show off that honey flavored mango taste (very much different from the honey plain sweet of NDN. 

The cotton candy has a light to medium firm texture that is a complex sugary cotton candy with a slight line of subacid balance.

I have seen.fruit than have been picked a little early or fruit is medium ripe the fruit is still sweet but a more su
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:18:39 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
The Honey Kiss I got from Rob/Excalibur couple of years ago is compact and quite slow-growing. Its nodes are close together, so if you're tipping, it's going to get quite bushy (something I prefer) rather than vertical.
In order of growth, it's about the size of the Angie I got at the same time; some of the Angie's leaves are a bit gnarly / somewhat burnt at the tips - the Honey Kiss is very green and much healthier looking. Could have to do with where they are planted.
A Fairchild (also obtained at the same time) is a bit taller than the Honey Kiss; a Providence is somewhat taller, a Maha Chanok taller still. The Maha has some panicles, and is carrying some small fruit as well.

bsbullie

• View Profile
The Honey Kiss I got from Rob/Excalibur couple of years ago is compact and quite slow-growing. Its nodes are close together, so if you're tipping, it's going to get quite bushy (something I prefer) rather than vertical.
In order of growth, it's about the size of the Angie I got at the same time; some of the Angie's leaves are a bit gnarly / somewhat burnt at the tips - the Honey Kiss is very green and much healthier looking. Could have to do with where they are planted.
A Fairchild (also obtained at the same time) is a bit taller than the Honey Kiss; a Providence is somewhat taller, a Maha Chanok taller still. The Maha has some panicles, and is carrying some small fruit as well.

Other than the Mahachanok, everything you got that day were trees from ZHPP.  The Angie is susceptible to scab which is most likely what is affecting it.
- Rob

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
Rob, does it help to spray something on the Angie? If so, what kind of spray?

bsbullie

• View Profile
Rob, does it help to spray something on the Angie? If so, what kind of spray?

Copper...the actual type that Jeff (CookieMonster) uses would be the one I would recommend.   Jeff has posted the name in multiple threads.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Nordox is what I use. Very effective, but a little pricey, as you have to buy 12.5 pounds of it.

Angie is a dirty mango tree no matter what fungicide you use, but at least you'll get a good harvest with fungicide.
Jeff  :-)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
How big could one expect the little gem tree to get ? Would it be worthy of yard space if space is limited ?

bsbullie

• View Profile
How big could one expect the little gem tree to get ? Would it be worthy of yard space if space is limited ?

Its comoact and goid producer but quality is below Cotton Candy and Phoenix and many of the other newer top tier varieties.
- Rob

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
If u were to choose 1 which would u prefer & why between cotton candy & phoenix?

bsbullie

• View Profile
If u were to choose 1 which would u prefer & why between cotton candy & phoenix?

Kind of like a bag of Lays chips...cant have just one.  Lol

I dont know if there is a real answer to the question.  I may depend on your taste.  One may like Cotton Candy better, one may like Phoenix better, and one may not like either.  As many that live Sweet Tart,  I know xouple people who don't really like it at all.
- Rob

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Haha... my space is limited & so far i have coco cream, carrie, lz, ice cream , mun kung si & never tasted any of the said varieties.

I had eaten good tasting mangoes in the Philippines such as sweet elena, carabao, kamchita & unknown varieties.

So yea, im kind of torn now of what u recommend the top tier...

I have searched your previous posts bsbullie, very informative. Thank u

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
so many new varieties coming so fast, I plan on top working these onto my cocktail lower tier varieties when wood becomes available. 21 trees and have no more room, but cocktail option makes all the space I need all around my yard.

I see Cotton Candy, Ambrosia, and Orange Essence are available at Plantogram, does it mean these have been released commercially? Didn't see them on top tropical s.

bsbullie

• View Profile
so many new varieties coming so fast, I plan on top working these onto my cocktail lower tier varieties when wood becomes available. 21 trees and have no more room, but cocktail option makes all the space I need all around my yard.

I see Cotton Candy, Ambrosia, and Orange Essence are available at Plantogram, does it mean these have been released commercially? Didn't see them on top tropical s.

They are slowly trickling into the retail nurseries on a somewhat limited basis.  What each nursery might have may vary depending on availability.
- Rob

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
I agree. Was surprised to not see them at toptropicals though. usually they get it quickly.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Look in buy sell trade I some of each
Mike

bsbullie

• View Profile
I have some too for those further South than Mike.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Which ones do you have? Do you have a Dolores?

Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
Which ones do you have? Do you have a Dolores?

I didn't grab any Delores.  I have tasted it a number of times and dont find it very good.  Other than being a late season, its taste qualities are not in the same league as their usual suspects.
- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
None of these new Zill varieties are compact or dwarf trees right?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Right.
Har