Author Topic: What causes yellow leaf margins/veins on Citrus and Sapodilla?  (Read 4275 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
What causes yellow leaf margins/veins on Citrus and Sapodilla?
« on: November 19, 2014, 06:44:35 PM »
I've been puzzled by a strange coloration on my citrus and sapodilla leaves -- leaf margins/edges and veins (and only the margins and veins) are yellow, and the rest of leaf is deep green.  The leaves definitely don't look like what I've seen on healthy citrus and sapodilla, but I'm not sure what might be causing this.  Both are in containers and are fed periodically with generic organic fertilizers of various types.  Has anyone seen this sort of problem?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: What causes yellow leaf margins/veins on Citrus and Sapodilla?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:29:52 AM »
Some sort of deficiency, sorry I dont know which nutrient is lacking, but give them a micro nutritional spray, maybe in conjunction with a chelated Fe drench, I bet this will make things right.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »
Probably a Sauce Bechamel with a reduction of red wine, shallots, and poached beef marrow would be better.  ;D but be sure to spray some Dynagro first on the leaves before doing this..
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:44:08 AM by michsu »

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:44:40 AM »
The general rule is that if the yellowing is blotchy and random looking, manganese is the issue.  If the yellowing had a distinct pattern and the center is green, magnesium is the issue.  Best to follow Adam's advice and give a general foliar feeding and drenching.  If it is deficient in one, it may be close to deficient for other micros too.
Brandon

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 11:05:19 AM »
I agree with what others have already stated and in addition to that, I would also recommend adding some sulphur granules which will very very slowly decrease the pH of your soil. I would also do a soil drench with pH Ed water because it is very likely the cause of your micronutrient deficiency is caused by too high of a pH of your soil. I also had similar issues with my citrus and have corrected the issues with the advice I just gave.

If you have the time and resources, of course I would recommend hiring a professional to test your soil and plants to determine the cause of the yellowing because it can also be caused by virus or too much of something but few people have the time nor resources to do this. You live in California so there is a good possibility your soil has a high pH somewhere in the neighborhood of 8.0 which does not easily allow for the uptake of certain elements. I personally use pH down which can be ordered online or at a hydroponic store to bring down about 5-10 gallons of water to pH 5 or so and drench my soil with that. With the buffering capacity of my soil, this will bring my soil to around 7 or so but of course this will depend on many factors, it is better to bring down the pH slowly.

Aside from your likely high pH soil, your water source is likely high too. Mine is pH 8.2 so every time you water, you will bring the ph of your soil back up so it may be wise to drench your soil with low ph water once a month or so which seems to be enough for my citrus to keep them happy.

A thick mulch layer will also be very beneficial.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 11:09:33 AM »
Use tiger eye sulfur.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
You can get accurate ph testers online for around $60. I got an ecoTestr ph2 -- been very happy with it. Or you can send your soil off to a lab, which runs like $15.

(Heavy) mulching / compost is very effective at bringing ph to neutral. I used close to a thousand cubic yards of tree trimmer mulch so far, and it's had a dramatic impact. This is probably the only permanent solution to the problem.

Sulfur works too (temporarily). I'm currently experimenting with super high doses (~5 tons per acre). So far no detrimental effect to the existing plants after 2 months.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
Depending on a lot of factors,  broadcast sulfur application can have a lasting effect for years.

To clarify,  the sulfur should be broadcast over you entire yard like fertilizer.
- Rob

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »
Great -- I'll add some micronutrients (probably as kelp / fish emulsion) and see how it goes.  I've added sulfur and cottonseed meal in the past to lower pH so I think it should be acidic enough now.  Thanks!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 12:08:26 PM »
Great -- I'll add some micronutrients (probably as kelp / fish emulsion) and see how it goes.  I've added sulfur and cottonseed meal in the past to lower pH so I think it should be acidic enough now.  Thanks!

Did you add the sulfur to the entire yard or just the tree (s)?

I wohld seek out a better form of micronutrients fertilizer.   One that contains a full spectrum.   Fish emulsion and kelp will most likely not be sufficient.
- Rob

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »
The yellow leaf vein problem may be due to low phosphorus.  I had a similar problem on part of my farm and it turned out to be low phosphorus, possibly made unavailable to the plants due to high copper or some other mineral.

I reported my problem in this thread (see reply #30):
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=9236

Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 01:28:24 PM »
bsbullie -- it's a container garden, so everything is in medium to large size plastic pots.  (Both the citrus and sapodilla have good drainage.)  Do you know of any broad spectrum micronutrient sources that are organic?

jcaldeira -- I'll see if it's phosphorus.  The weird part is that the leaves themselves are solid green -- it's just the edges and veins that are yellow.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »
bsbullie -- it's a container garden, so everything is in medium to large size plastic pots.  (Both the citrus and sapodilla have good drainage.)  Do you know of any broad spectrum micronutrient sources that are organic?

jcaldeira -- I'll see if it's phosphorus.  The weird part is that the leaves themselves are solid green -- it's just the edges and veins that are yellow.

It's not low phosphorous, quite the contrary.  High P induces micro deficiencies.  It is an antagonistic element.  http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/quickref/fertilizer/nutri_def.html

Your leaf chlorosis is a micro deficiency, probably Zn or Mn.  There are some great citrus sites that have colored photos regarding such deficiencies.  That's where you should be doing your research.

Foliar sprays of Keyplex will correct those deficiencies. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:50:14 PM by Mark in Texas »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 04:07:18 PM »
Epsom salts are also a great greener for citrus in California.

Simon

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 11:57:19 AM »
Barath, you can try "Down to Earth " micro nutrient spray to correct the problem. Watering with "PH Down" can help when rain water is unavailable.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
For "National Organic Program compliant" micro-nutrient mixes, check out the Brexil brand from Italy--- some, but not all, of their mixes  are "organically approved" (my term). Most are chelates from Ligninsulfonates (not EDTA).
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk