Author Topic: nephelium crossing  (Read 3224 times)

gaston

• azuero Panama
    • View Profile
nephelium crossing
« on: May 12, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »
Maryoto had this nice Puson

He said taste is superior to Pulasan ,but seed stay stuck with flesh. Is there any chances,if growing Puson trees close to Pulasan Seebabat to end up having hybrids fruits ?
Say Puson with loose seeds :o

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: nephelium crossing
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »
Unless you cross pollinate by hand chances would be extremely small. And even then you wouldn't know until second generation.
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »
Looks like rambutan to me.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:06:19 PM »
Looks like rambutan to me.

Nephelium genus has a lot of species that look like rambutans.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 09:33:26 PM »
The crossing might be tricky but perhaps worthwhile because of the chance of even an uncrossed seedling being an improved variety.  By planting out lots of select seedlings of rambutan and pulusan we have come up with some good selections of tasty, free stone fruit.
Peter

gaston

• azuero Panama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 12:51:57 AM »
Thanks for your comments, anyway I will have to have these Puson to germinate first and then I'll cross my fingers and plant them close to Seebabat...maybe a good star keeping an eye on me  8) ;)

Peter what was improved in your case Rambutan,Pulasan or both ?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 02:17:59 AM »
Thanks for your comments, anyway I will have to have these Puson to germinate first and then I'll cross my fingers and plant them close to Seebabat...maybe a good star keeping an eye on me  8) ;)

Peter what was improved in your case Rambutan,Pulasan or both ?

I hope you understand that Peter is talking about selecting good quality traits in seedling plants, all of which are slightly different. This is very different from having chance hybrids, or even intentional hybrids.
Oscar

gaston

• azuero Panama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 05:05:43 AM »
Yes Oscar ,i did understand it that way ." because of the chance of even an uncrossed seedling being an improved variety" is a good enough answer.Being lucky to have an hybride sound like real gambler chance,but is no zero chance.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 06:01:14 AM »
My success with seedling selection has been most notable with rambutan.  I have a selection we call "Singapur" that compares well with the Asian selections that have been introduced.  I also have one we call "mora" that is very large, stone free, and a tad tart but with lots of flavor resembling blackberry.  I have a pulusan selection as well.
What prompted my earlier comment is that I have worked with hybridizing bromeliads and anthuriums.  In most cases you don't want natural pollination when making crosses but interesting surprises can occur.  Natural pollinators show up who are more aware of when the flower is receptive.  In my case in CR a wild plant could inadvertently cause a surprise cross that nobody had been able to do before.
Anyway, for people who have the space and time it CAN be rewarding to plant out seedlings and even if the desired cross was not made you could possibly get a valuable plant.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »
My success with seedling selection has been most notable with rambutan.  I have a selection we call "Singapur" that compares well with the Asian selections that have been introduced.  I also have one we call "mora" that is very large, stone free, and a tad tart but with lots of flavor resembling blackberry.  I have a pulusan selection as well.
What prompted my earlier comment is that I have worked with hybridizing bromeliads and anthuriums.  In most cases you don't want natural pollination when making crosses but interesting surprises can occur.  Natural pollinators show up who are more aware of when the flower is receptive.  In my case in CR a wild plant could inadvertently cause a surprise cross that nobody had been able to do before.
Anyway, for people who have the space and time it CAN be rewarding to plant out seedlings and even if the desired cross was not made you could possibly get a valuable plant.
Peter

Yes i agree. I've planted lots of seedlings for those reasons, and others. If you have lots of space and are in it for the lang haul definitely worthwhile doing seedling selections. Especially for fruits that are new to your area. If you have small postage size garden, and for fruits already established in your area, the situation is very different.
Oscar

gaston

• azuero Panama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 09:21:56 PM »
Peter

Yes i agree. I've planted lots of seedlings for those reasons, and others. If you have lots of space and are in it for the lang haul definitely worthwhile doing seedling selections. Especially for fruits that are new to your area. If you have small postage size garden, and for fruits already established in your area, the situation is very different.

My seedlings are still under shade ,but i will have lot of space and I'm in the long haul . So in that case I could transplant Puson and Seebabat quite close.But when you speak about seedling selection
,are you speaking of second generation ?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 10:33:59 PM »
Peter

My seedlings are still under shade ,but i will have lot of space and I'm in the long haul . So in that case I could transplant Puson and Seebabat quite close.But when you speak about seedling selection
,are you speaking of second generation ?

Different ways do to do selection of seedlings. One is to plant a lot of seeds, observe which are the best ones, and remove all others. If you want to select for good crosses, then yes you have to save seeds of the crosses, whether hand pollinated or crossed by chance, plant seeds of second generation and then do selections of those. Selections of crosses obviously takes a lot longer. The differences don't express themselves in first generation.
Oscar

gaston

• azuero Panama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 11:44:57 PM »
Thanks for advices , i'll try to follow this route.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk