Author Topic: Ebay & etsy seed  (Read 1743 times)

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Ebay & etsy seed
« on: June 07, 2019, 10:27:08 AM »
After several conversations with ebay & etsy seed sellers  it is evident that they do not know the difference between standard poncirus and the flying dragon cultivar. Better have a conversation and get pics before you order. I ordered a quart from Lyn citrus (they know the diffetence) but they are out.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 10:43:16 AM by Bomand »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay & etsy seed
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 10:44:58 AM »
After several conversations with ebay & etsy seed sellers  it is evident that they do not know the difference between standard poncirus and the flying dragon cultivar. Better have a conversation and get pics before you order. I ordered a quart from Lyn citrus (they know the diffetence) but they are out.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 10:46:28 AM »
😂Wont let me modify today.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 04:23:50 PM »
It appears that my flying dragon seed are not going to make it. They were stratified and put in the same propagation chamber with my standard poncirus. Only 5 of the dragon seed sproted & I assume perhaps 2 will have the FD right stuff. Maybe. Going to have to lick this calf again so they can get a start before its late. I assume my seeds were not viable.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 06:06:36 PM »
Why would you think an online seed seller, who sells hundreds of completely different plant seeds, which are not fresh and have just been shelved in storage for years, probably bought from someone else in wholesale, would have any idea what specific type of plant his seeds came from?

The seller probably never tried planting most of the seeds they are selling.

Many sellers also have no idea that citrus seeds rapidly lose viability in storage, despite selling those seeds.

From my experience, the maximum length of time citrus seeds can last, not refrigerated, but at cool temperatures, and kept from drying out, but not too moist that would encourage germination or rot, is about 5 or 6 weeks.

That doesn't exactly make citrus seeds economical for a bulk seed seller, especially one that primarily sells other types of seeds.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 06:13:57 PM by SoCal2warm »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 08:56:58 PM »
Ebay and Etsy are just marketplaces.   Each seller is different.  I've had good and bad experience with both.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 10:28:59 PM »
I sometimes make the error of thinking that everyone is knowledgeable and honest. 

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 11:35:43 PM »
Now is not the right season to be buying and planting trifoliate seeds. They are ready around Sept 1. If not stored correctly none will sprout now. They don't need to be stratified. They can be planted Sept 1 and won't freeze all thru the winter. Or dry overnight, dust with fungicide and store in a zip lock bag in the refrigerator. They will last at least a year if stored correctly. If you want quart there is a certified nursery in California that sells them for around $150 plus shipping.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 03:37:05 AM »
Thank you mrtexas. I usually open fruit, wash and plant every Fall. Was out of country for a while and got behind
 Pushing to try to catch up.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 07:43:25 AM »
Calvin, the best source I know of.

http://www.citrustreesource.com/Products/Seed.aspx