Author Topic: Anaheim Hills 2016 tasting  (Read 9051 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Anaheim Hills 2016 tasting
« on: January 18, 2016, 12:58:03 AM »
Here are some of the amazing mangos pix from Saturdays tasting.RH# 2 had the highest brix at 26 followed by chocanon 25. Simon and Warren will report on the anona tasting results.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Anaheim Hills 2016 tasting
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 10:03:19 AM »
JF, thanks for helping with the organization of the event and for the fruit gathering! The event was a complete sugar overload for the mind and body, literally! I also have to thank Ashok for being such a gracious host! He had everything so well organized it was just amazing. Ashok is living the American Dream with his beautiful family and I have never seen a house and tropical fruit garden in such prestine condition. I am not posting any pictures of his yard or trees in respect of his privacy, he may decide to do so in the future.

The day started for me by picking up local legend Jim Neitzel and his friend Paul. We were talking non stop on the 1 hour 45 minute drive from Lemon Grove to Ahaheim Hills. I was so excited to have Jim in my car that I had to slow my brain down and remind myself that this is a rare opportunity to have such a legend sitting in my car with his full attention so I eventually focused my thoughts and started picking Jims brain about the direction of rare fruit growing in Souther California.

Jim, Paul and I started chatting up a storm and we fed off each other's thoughts and ideas and by the end of our road trip we all had new ideas, spins and twists, to improve upon current technology.

Anyways, in order to prevent digressing any further, the event was a complete blast and an opportunity to share fruit and thoughts with like minded people. The event was initially held as a Cherimoya tasting but it ended up being much more. We had Cherimoya, Atemoya, Mango, Guava, Dragonfruit, Starfruit, Passionfruit, Persimmon, Sugarcane and probably several others I can't recall.

I mention this at every tasting event but I'll say it again, it is nearly impossible to have so many different varieties of fruit ripen properly and present itself in full glory on any given day. There are just too many variable to consider so I'm just going to say that everyone that picked and gathered fruit for this event did our best to properly ripen the fruit. Some of the fruit we're overripe and others were under ripe but there were plenty of fruit that were in excellent condition. Here are the results of the Cherimoya tasting, I'll add additional information later on.

Simon

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 01:20:54 PM »
Simon, JF,

You summed it up very well.
I was impressed with the first place Orton.
I was also pleased that 3 of Ashok's creations came in the top 10....top 6 to be exact:  Madhur, Mohan, and Radhika.
Enjoyed the fresh cane juice and cherimoya ice cream.   Not sure who made the ice cream, but it was excellent.

Also a pleasant surprise was the winter mango tasting with all mangos coming from the southern cal area (Leo, Simon, JF).
And again, much thanks to Ashok and his family for hosting the wonderful event with excellent Indian cuisine.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:29:29 PM by wslau »
Warren

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 02:28:42 PM »
This looks great!

What do you all do with the seeds from these events?  I'm trying to select (not in any formal way) for a bit more cold (not frost) tolerance here in the bay area, and would love to get bulk seeds of cherimoyas and mangos from one of your events to just plant them out widely and see how they survive (or more likely, don't survive).

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 04:19:57 PM »
Many of the seeds were taken home for planting by the various tasters.

Here is a pic of Ashok with a few of the Cherimoyas before they were cut open

Here is a shot of the Cherimoya tasting table

Assorted mangos

Me getting ready to juice some sugarcane

Three stalks of my San Diego Yellow sugarcane was enough for about thirty people. I brought two varieties, SD Yellow and the Asian Black. I juiced the Yellow cane first in order to avoid dis coloring the juice.
Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 06:51:41 PM »
Many of the seeds were taken home for planting by the various tasters.

Here is a pic of Ashok with a few of the Cherimoyas before they were cut open

Here is a shot of the Cherimoya tasting table

Assorted mangos

Me getting ready to juice some sugarcane

Three stalks of my San Diego Yellow sugarcane was enough for about thirty people. I brought two varieties, SD Yellow and the Asian Black. I juiced the Yellow cane first in order to avoid dis coloring the juice.
Simon

Simon the sugar cane juice was terrific! I had 3 to 4 cups and I could've keep going but I had to leave room for the mangos and guavas.My sincere gratitude to Ashok and his family for hosting the event. Ashok had a lot of help this year and we appreciate it. From the folks that contributed the fruits to others who gave their time and resources, they made this fruit festival, by far,  the best in the last four years.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 07:00:08 PM »
For the Cherimoya tasting, I was very surprised at how good Orton tasted. I've had it before but didn't recall it having such an excellent balance of sweetness and acidity. The texture was also excellent for this variety. It could be that it was the cherimoya at the perfect stAge of ripeness but I recall it also rated as number one in the UC tasting in 2015.

I was busy yapping away with new friends I met at this event so I missed half of the Mango tasting but I really like two of Rudys seedling mango selection. I remember them as having excellent flavor, sweetness, acidity and texture. Several of the tasters mentioned that they couldn't believe how great and sweet these mangos tasted and that they would not be able to eat store bought mangos again.

I'm going to be begging and pleading for scions from Orton and the two of Rudys Mango selections.

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 11:03:10 PM »
For the Cherimoya tasting, I was very surprised at how good Orton tasted. I've had it before but didn't recall it having such an excellent balance of sweetness and acidity. The texture was also excellent for this variety. It could be that it was the cherimoya at the perfect stAge of ripeness but I recall it also rated as number one in the UC tasting in 2015.

I was busy yapping away with new friends I met at this event so I missed half of the Mango tasting but I really like two of Rudys seedling mango selection. I remember them as having excellent flavor, sweetness, acidity and texture. Several of the tasters mentioned that they couldn't believe how great and sweet these mangos tasted and that they would not be able to eat store bought mangos again.

I'm going to be begging and pleading for scions from Orton and the two of Rudys Mango selections.

Simon

Sure Simon,  you can also have Ott it's better than Orton. RH#2 (brix26)and RH#4( brix28)are Rudy's best but Rudiett is excellent just had a two pounder ( brix20) delicious :)

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 11:16:36 PM »
Those cherimoyas look awesome!!! 

Paulish

• US, CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 11:36:59 PM »
Everything about this experience was awesome; a phenomenal cherimoya tasting in great company.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:01:20 PM by Paulish »

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 12:49:08 AM »
can I join the party next time too? I will bring this little dingy guy with me to share. 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:28:14 AM »
JF, I'm glad you enjoyed the sugarcane juice. I was going to pre juice the sugarcane but I'm glad I decided to juice the cane fresh on the spot, it oxidizes so quickly. Thanks for the tip on Ott and Rudiette, I can't wait to get these varieties into my yard. Rudys Mangos were were amazing!

Paul, you're welcome. It was a blast talking with you and Jim. We should go lobster diving or spear fishing sometime. Ill send you a pm with the link to the technology we discussed.

Knlim000, I was just an invitee and it is up to the host to determine whom is invited. There is usually a lot of interest for these tasting events so perhaps we can all come up with a plan on how to hold these tastings more often and allow more people to join. I know it takes a lot of time, energy and money to hold these events but it's totally worth the effort. I know for the Dragonfruit tastings at the SCRS that they charge an entry fee, I wonder if people had to pay a reasonable fee if it would make these events occur more often and allow more participants to join?

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 11:51:16 AM »
JF, I'm glad you enjoyed the sugarcane juice. I was going to pre juice the sugarcane but I'm glad I decided to juice the cane fresh on the spot, it oxidizes so quickly. Thanks for the tip on Ott and Rudiette, I can't wait to get these varieties into my yard. Rudys Mangos were were amazing!

Paul, you're welcome. It was a blast talking with you and Jim. We should go lobster diving or spear fishing sometime. Ill send you a pm with the link to the technology we discussed.

Knlim000, I was just an invitee and it is up to the host to determine whom is invited. There is usually a lot of interest for these tasting events so perhaps we can all come up with a plan on how to hold these tastings more often and allow more people to join. I know it takes a lot of time, energy and money to hold these events but it's totally worth the effort. I know for the Dragonfruit tastings at the SCRS that they charge an entry fee, I wonder if people had to pay a reasonable fee if it would make these events occur more often and allow more participants to join?

Simon
Simon
An open invitation would require more tastings and admission fee. As you mention these tastings can get expensive. More pix

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 12:00:56 PM »
please let us know when you cherimoyas available for sale ;D. Thanks

Also what is the type of the first mango picture posted, the flesh looks nice and firm.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »
please let us know when you cherimoyas available for sale ;D. Thanks

Also what is the type of the first mango picture posted, the flesh looks nice and firm.

I'll PM you for availability. The first mango is Rudiett (20 brix) a Keitt seedling. It's a late mango, October to March, totally fiberless, firm and fruity....the fruit punch of the West coast.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:58:38 PM by JF »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 04:33:47 PM »
thanks, looking forward to it.

I can see the Kent resemblance now that you mention it. Got me longing for FL's mango season again. ;D

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 10:01:45 PM »
thanks, looking forward to it.

I can see the Kent resemblance now that you mention it. Got me longing for FL's mango season again. ;D

Skhan it's a Keitt seedling not a Kent seedling

http://postimg.cc/image/6e1dnydwz/
oh, in this was an image of Vanraj in Malihabad not Rudiett

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 11:25:42 PM »
Nice job on the tasting. It looks like everyone had a great time, nice looking fruit pictures  :)
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 11:40:34 PM »
Looked like another great tasting, sorry I missed it. Jim filled me in on it and had a good time. As our trees produce more we should be able to add to the great varieties you guys had.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 11:45:55 AM »
Thanks for posting pic's Frank and all, it's always enjoyable looking at all the diversity of fruits you all bring to these tastings! ;) 8)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »
Moderator please note there is an error on the original posting....cause this can't be happening in January. 

Jokes aside, this looks to have been an amazing event.  Awesome!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »
Moderator please note there is an error on the original posting....cause this can't be happening in January. 

Jokes aside, this looks to have been an amazing event.  Awesome!

Wish you were here different than the August event. Here is s pic of Rudiett, a 12 year old keitt seedling, super dwarf and producer that fruits into March

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 10:12:38 AM »
The first mango is Rudiett (20 brix) a Keitt seedling. It's a late mango, October to March, totally fiberless, firm and fruity....the fruit punch of the West coast.

Has Rudiett been around awhile?  I don't think I've seen it mentioned before.

Do you think it would have commercial potential? 
A winter season mango would be a fine thing.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 11:53:27 AM »
The first mango is Rudiett (20 brix) a Keitt seedling. It's a late mango, October to March, totally fiberless, firm and fruity....the fruit punch of the West coast.

Has Rudiett been around awhile?  I don't think I've seen it mentioned before.

Do you think it would have commercial potential? 
A winter season mango would be a fine thing.

Mangodan
Rudy Haluza is the creator of this keitt seedling. He's the famous creator of El Bumpo cherimoya consider by many as the best tasting Annona. He's told me he planted the keitt seed 12 years ago and it started producing fruits in 3 years and every year it has gotten heavier. As you can see on the pix the tree has the same growing characteristic as Keitt but the fruit is large and round with a beautiful cherry red flush. i think it has great commercial potential because it ripens in winter. I don't know how it would preform in south Florida but Behl and I are going to propagated for the coming season.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 01:57:40 AM »
Glad to hear you are helping to spread the wealth.

I don't know whether commercial mango cultivation is considered practical in California.
I like to think that especially fine fruit can find a market, even at a premium price.

If it ever comes to Costco I'll be first in line. Hell, I'd even drive all the way to a Whole Foods.