Author Topic: What is the green pellet fertilizer called ?  (Read 3228 times)

FloridaFruits

• Bradenton, Fl
    • View Profile
What is the green pellet fertilizer called ?
« on: April 09, 2018, 09:42:01 PM »
I just moved to Florida and been buying fruit trees at places like Lowes, Home Depot, and some of the local nurseries. I notice that all of them have some green pellet fertilizer on them and would like to buy some if possible. I asked one of the garden helper at Home Depot and he said that the green pellets were in there when it was shipped to Home Depot so he didn't know.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: What is the green pellet fertilizer called ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 10:23:20 PM »
It's just a slow release fertilizer. The "green pellets" are polymer / plastic coated balls of fertilizer. Scott's Osmocote Plus is a great product that will fill the bill. I would post the amazon link here, but every time we do that, the price goes up :-). Looks like it's current at $20 for an 8 pound bag (up from $15 just a few weeks ago).
Jeff  :-)

FloridaFruits

• Bradenton, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 11:01:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll keep on checking amazon to see if the price has dropped any. I currently have over 100 small trees in containers (7 gallon - 25 gallon) but im very new to growing so I'm going to ask a lot of questions. This forum is amazing.   

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 12:46:14 AM »
Since you have a lot of trees you are probably better off buying a 50 pound bag locally. If you do the price per pound will be quite a bit lower, and you support a local company instead of Amazon. The stuff keeps for a very long time, so it's good to buy in bigger quantities. Call around to your nursery supply stores to get lowest price.
Oscar

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 12:50:49 AM »
If you have a Diamond R in your area they sell 50 lb bag of Nutricote for a little
under $60. I have a Daimond R in my area and usually they have the best deals

FloridaFruits

• Bradenton, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 01:41:55 AM »
If you have a Diamond R in your area they sell 50 lb bag of Nutricote for a little
under $60. I have a Daimond R in my area and usually they have the best deals

Diamond R is about 1.5 drive from here in Bradenton, FL .

FloridaFruits

• Bradenton, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 01:50:21 AM »
Since you have a lot of trees you are probably better off buying a 50 pound bag locally. If you do the price per pound will be quite a bit lower, and you support a local company instead of Amazon. The stuff keeps for a very long time, so it's good to buy in bigger quantities. Call around to your nursery supply stores to get lowest price.

I've ran around and bought another 50 trees (about 200 trees now) from various nurseries.  Since i got so many trees in containers I'll be happy for them just to grow and give a few fruits. I've decided to go the cheap route and use Excaliber fertilizer 50 lb for $20 and also Lowe's Sunniland fertilizer 40 lb for $15. This is really just my 2nd year of gardening so I'm just experimenting for now.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:52:08 AM by FloridaFruits »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 05:52:37 AM »
Start saving up for the big sale:
http://www.mrfc.org/p/fruit-tree-sale.html

Go early the best sells out quickly.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 08:46:06 AM »
It's just a slow release fertilizer. The "green pellets" are polymer / plastic coated balls of fertilizer. Scott's Osmocote Plus is a great product that will fill the bill. I would post the amazon link here, but every time we do that, the price goes up :-). Looks like it's current at $20 for an 8 pound bag (up from $15 just a few weeks ago).

Universal supply in Pompano beach (off Copans) has the 50 pound bag for something between $80 and $90
Regards,

Gary

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 08:31:29 AM »

Prices have been stable at AM Leonard...

https://www.amleo.com/osmocote-fertilizer-15-9-12-slow-release-8-to-9-months-50lb-bag/p/159128/
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 08:34:03 AM »
I just moved to Florida and been buying fruit trees at places like Lowes, Home Depot, and some of the local nurseries. I notice that all of them have some green pellet fertilizer on them and would like to buy some if possible. I asked one of the garden helper at Home Depot and he said that the green pellets were in there when it was shipped to Home Depot so he didn't know.

I believe the green pellets are specific to Harrells polyon line but Im not 100%
https://www.harrells.com/polyon/home.html
- Marley

FloridaFruits

• Bradenton, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 11:20:38 AM »
I think you might be right. One time I saw a used bag of Harrells blown against the wind at a local nursery where they also use these green pellets.