Author Topic: Apocalyptic fires, winds and earthquakes in SoCal  (Read 2617 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Apocalyptic fires, winds and earthquakes in SoCal
« on: December 07, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »
I felt two earthquakes at my house yesterday, the news said there were a total of 4, and the winds are now blowing like I’ve never seen before. My neighbors debris is in my yard and my yard debris is now downwind of me getting blown around town. Many of my potted plants are blown over and several trees almost snapped in half.

The few remaining Cherimoya I had hanging on the tree have blown off and winds are still supposed to pick up. I could barely keep my eyes open because dirt keeps blowing into them.

My neighbors banana tree is already leaning halfway into my yard and it looks like it may crush my mango, Achachairu and Lucs Mexican Mangosteen.

I hope everyone in SoCal stays safe and receives minimal damage to their plants and property.

Simon
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:19:57 AM by simon_grow »

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Apocalyptic winds in SoCal and earthquakes
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »
Best of luck Simon! My parents live in Orange, and are going through the same thing.  Hopefully your yard will not be too damaged.
Trung

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »
Thanks Trung,

The news stations are now reporting that there are several fires breaking out around the county. Stay safe everyone!

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:23:53 PM »
Big fire been burning since yesterday in Mexico.  Looks like clouds but its a fire raging.

And the water droper keeps buzzing my house.
Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 07:32:20 PM »
We've been having winds at night but nothing like folks down in Ventura,Ojai and L.A and San Diego, bummer is the fires happening in the windy area's. We are experiencing smoke this afternoon from the Ojai - Ventura fire. Stay save all!!!!!!!!
Plants can be replaced not you lives :(

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 10:23:44 PM »
maybe some one accidentally started the fire. Like throwing cigarette butts while driving down the freeway/street. Seen lots of people do that.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 11:34:48 PM »
maybe some one accidentally started the fire. Like throwing cigarette butts while driving down the freeway/street. Seen lots of people do that.

Those people that do that should all be arrested and put into jail until they complete and pass a course in common sense safety.

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 12:17:40 AM »
Another fire burning in north county san diego.

Brad Spaugh

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 12:31:57 AM »

Those people that do that should all be arrested and put into jail until they complete and pass a course in common sense safety.

Simon

I've seen many times people driving in front of my house rolling down windows to throw the butts.  The sidewalk in the front of my house is littered with cigarette butts from people walking .  The worst is my next door neighbor.  It's a housing for special need people adults.  One of the guys keep throwing cigaret butts over to my side of the fence.  One day, I smell someone smoking, I got up to look where that cigarette smokes coming from, and it's one of the guys smoking , he was not suppose to be smoking in the backyard along the side of the fence.   I told the care taker that they are going to init fires.  There mulch,dead grass, and woods store along the side of the fence. 

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 10:35:52 AM »
I hope all of our members in and near the fires the best of luck and keep safe!  The winds yesterday were crazy. In the area of San Diego I live in the winds are often very calm, even on bad Santa Ana wind days.  Yesterday  we had some of the strongest winds I have seen in years.  The winds and low humidity in the 20's have dried everything out. I have to remember to tie up more of the fruit and water today, just in case the winds return.
Bob

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
Re: Apocalyptic fires, winds and earthquakes in SoCal
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
A great line from the San Diego Union Tribune Newspaper...."San Diego fire weather is so extreme, purple is the new red".  It looks like the winds will calm down here in SD by Sunday. Hopefully no more shake and bake this year!

Bob

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 03:24:47 PM »
I felt two earthquakes at my house yesterday, the news said there were a total of 4, and the winds are now blowing like I’ve never seen before. My neighbors debris is in my yard and my yard debris is now downwind of me getting blown around town. Many of my potted plants are blown over and several trees almost snapped in half.

The few remaining Cherimoya I had hanging on the tree have blown off and winds are still supposed to pick up. I could barely keep my eyes open because dirt keeps blowing into them.

My neighbors banana tree is already leaning halfway into my yard and it looks like it may crush my mango, Achachairu and Lucs Mexican Mangosteen.

I hope everyone in SoCal stays safe and receives minimal damage to their plants and property.

Simon
Yes, a crazy couple of days down here!  Not too much damage from the wind, a couple of potted plants knocked over, they've been righted and braced better.  A couple of guys at work who live up in Bonsall have been evacuated and their houses are in the burned zone.  No idea if their houses were burned or spared.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 04:10:47 PM »
It's still very dry here in San Diego, but the winds have died down considerably and my location saw no fires and no problems with smoke.  I strongly suspect arson as the cause of many of the fires.