Author Topic: My Attempt at Grafting Mamey Sapote  (Read 5228 times)

Greg1029

• 10b Ca. 90602
    • View Profile
My Attempt at Grafting Mamey Sapote
« on: March 29, 2012, 04:32:01 PM »
I received my Mamey scions today from Frankies Nursery.  Here are pictures of my attempt at grafting my 4ft. seedling.  Lynn from Frankies suggested I try a cleft and side veneer graft on the same rootstock.  She said its more difficult for larger diameter rootstock to take and doing both might increase my chances.  I've got a third scion which I plan on using on JF's smaller seedling.  I accidentally broke off the only two leaves while trying to put it in my overcrowded portable greenhouse.  I'm hoping that won't be an issue. 

Greg

Pantin Scions

Cleft

Side Veneer

My decapitated rootstock wilting in the sun.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: My Attempt at Grafting Mamey Sapote
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 04:36:10 PM »
Your side veneer scion looks wider than your cut on the rootstock, be sure that the cadmium is in direct contact!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 04:49:31 PM »
I received my Mamey scions today from Frankies Nursery.  Here are pictures of my attempt at grafting my 4ft. seedling.  Lynn from Frankies suggested I try a cleft and side veneer graft on the same rootstock.  She said its more difficult for larger diameter rootstock to take and doing both might increase my chances.  I've got a third scion which I plan on using on JF's smaller seedling.  I accidentally broke off the only two leaves while trying to put it in my overcrowded portable greenhouse.  I'm hoping that won't be an issue. 

Greg

That might be a very big issue. With no leaves left on the rootstock your grafts are not likely to take.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »
Nice! Hope it succeeds.  :)
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 04:53:40 PM »
Good luck! Grafting mamey sapote is non trivial.

Greg

Pantin Scions

Cleft

Side Veneer

My decapitated rootstock wilting in the sun.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:59:34 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »
Yah, without leaves, the tree has no energy source. What will often happen is that the roostock will eventually die back and sprout near the base. The rootstock is a bit thick, though. So, I suppose there is still a chance.

Greg

That might be a very big issue. With no leaves left on the rootstock your grafts are not likely to take.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:58:10 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

Greg1029

• 10b Ca. 90602
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 05:25:57 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.  I wish I would have gone higher on the graft.  My only hope is the large size and age of the rootstock.  Hopefully it has enough stored energy to make it...  I still have a third (much smaller scion and rootstock) to graft as back-up....

Greg

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 05:28:57 PM »
Hi Greg,

Good Luck!!! keep us posted ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 06:34:29 PM »
Nice cuts! They fit like puzzle pieces!!  I think u have a good shot a getting some takes...U seem to have a good understanding of what needs to be done.

Good luck!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 11:57:45 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.  I wish I would have gone higher on the graft.  My only hope is the large size and age of the rootstock.  Hopefully it has enough stored energy to make it...  I still have a third (much smaller scion and rootstock) to graft as back-up....

Greg

So far, you have had great success grafting annonas hopefully that experience will transferred over to mameys and mangos, good luck Greg!

JF 

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 02:48:36 AM »
Nicely done, hopefully the tree does the rest.

good luck,
-Ethan

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 09:16:59 PM »
Just wondering if your mamey grafts were successful or not.  :)
Alexi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk