Author Topic: Where to get best deal on 0-0-50  (Read 6764 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Where to get best deal on 0-0-50
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »
Adding K alone can result in a Ca and Mg deficiency, depending on the soil. Richard Campbell recommends 0-0-50. However, he's growing on very (very) calcareous soil. You're much better off applying a full nutrient package, unless you happen to live in Homestead. One year, I gave a healthy dose of K to my mangoes (without Ca), and jelly seed was off the charts.

The higher price for online ag products I was referring to excludes shipping cost. Margin is simply a lot higher for online ag suppliers, as they don't really cater to large scale growers.

Helena is one of the best deals around if you're close enough to get it delivered.
cookie, when using gypsum for calcium is pellet form or or powder preferred?

Theses are prices I was quoted from Harrells for some common fertilizers.  They have Harrells in Florida too I think.

Here are prices per 50# bag:
Kellys Gypsum      $11.25
0-0-50                  $23
0-0-22 Sulpomag    $19.65
0-45-0 Triple Super $13

Brad Spaugh

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2018, 01:43:59 PM »
Adding K alone can result in a Ca and Mg deficiency, depending on the soil. Richard Campbell recommends 0-0-50. However, he's growing on very (very) calcareous soil. You're much better off applying a full nutrient package, unless you happen to live in Homestead. One year, I gave a healthy dose of K to my mangoes (without Ca), and jelly seed was off the charts.

The higher price for online ag products I was referring to excludes shipping cost. Margin is simply a lot higher for online ag suppliers, as they don't really cater to large scale growers.

Helena is one of the best deals around if you're close enough to get it delivered.

another reason is if you sell on online platform say ebay or amzon, their cut is 15% to 19% so retailer has to markup their commissions. its always best to buy these big items from growers supply like you said.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2018, 03:51:22 PM »
Those are great prices, a few cents cheaper than what I'm paying. Get the granulated gypsum; it's easier to spread and you don't get to breathe in a bunch of dust. I just laid down 1/2 ton of Kelly's myself.

Theses are prices I was quoted from Harrells for some common fertilizers.  They have Harrells in Florida too I think.

0-45-0 Triple Super $13
Jeff  :-)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2018, 06:45:12 PM »
Those are great prices, a few cents cheaper than what I'm paying. Get the granulated gypsum; it's easier to spread and you don't get to breathe in a bunch of dust. I just laid down 1/2 ton of Kelly's myself.

0-45-0 Triple Super $13

Is it possible to overdo the gypsum?  Im trying to decide how much to buy.  You use it once a year or multiple times? 

Got a big list of stuff on order for January with Harrells.  They have the polyon slow release 16-6-12 50lbs for 35$.  Its basically the same stuff as osmocote.  Also they have water soluables for cheap.  Can't beat the prices.  You guys probably have a Harrell's out there.  They have a wharehouse here, I put the order in to my rep via email and show up and they load the truck. 

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:47:59 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 09:26:43 PM »
To my knowledge, no. Gypsum is used to ameliorate salt burn, and you want the Ca to K ratio to be above 10 to 1 (probably preferably 20 to 1) for best brix.

There is an FSHS article that I posted here in another thread a while back where growers applied multiple tons of gypsum per mango tree (like 4k pounds per tree if memory serves), and the outcome was very favorable.

So, the only detriment would be a slimmer wallet if you apply more than needed.

I apply it once a year usually.

Update: here's the fshs article; looks like it was 1k pounds of gypsum per tree per year: https://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1962-vol-75/364-371%20(YOUNG).pdf

Is it possible to overdo the gypsum?  Im trying to decide how much to buy.  You use it once a year or multiple times? 

Got a big list of stuff on order for January with Harrells.  They have the polyon slow release 16-6-12 50lbs for 35$.  Its basically the same stuff as osmocote.  Also they have water soluables for cheap.  Can't beat the prices.  You guys probably have a Harrell's out there.  They have a wharehouse here, I put the order in to my rep via email and show up and they load the truck. 

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 09:29:27 PM by Cookie Monster »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 10:09:17 PM »

Hey Jeff.

So, I'm guessing 0 0 50 might be good for my mangoes, as I'm just a few miles from Homestead, closer to the coast. Soil is rocky, with lots of limestone. What do you think?

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2018, 08:12:43 AM »
Not to hi-jack, but does anybody know an OMRI approved Potassium?  Thanks.
- Marley

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2018, 09:42:00 AM »

0-0-22 is organic.  Its called "langbeinite"
0-0-50 is also organic and naturally occuring sulfate of potash. 

You can get either of these for dirt cheap.  May cost extra for them to go through the certification process but there are ones that are omri listed.  Try googling them. 
Brad Spaugh

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2018, 10:05:23 AM »
Sounds like you're correct. If you already have a ton of Ca, there's no need to add any as supplement. Mg would be the only other thing to consider, as K and Mg compete. Sul-po-mag could be a good option.

Hey Jeff.

So, I'm guessing 0 0 50 might be good for my mangoes, as I'm just a few miles from Homestead, closer to the coast. Soil is rocky, with lots of limestone. What do you think?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2018, 10:15:35 AM »
Yep. And, it doesn't need to receive OMRI approval to be permitted for organic production. There is a list maintained by USDA that defines what is allowed and what is not.

The main difference between organic and synthetic is how a supplement is sourced, and oftentimes the exact same product is available with and without organic certification (the former at a higher cost of course).

You can get either of these for dirt cheap.  May cost extra for them to go through the certification process but there are ones that are omri listed.  Try googling them.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2018, 10:27:25 AM »
To my knowledge, no. Gypsum is used to ameliorate salt burn, and you want the Ca to K ratio to be above 10 to 1 (probably preferably 20 to 1) for best brix.

There is an FSHS article that I posted here in another thread a while back where growers applied multiple tons of gypsum per mango tree (like 4k pounds per tree if memory serves), and the outcome was very favorable.

So, the only detriment would be a slimmer wallet if you apply more than needed.

I apply it once a year usually.

Update: here's the fshs article; looks like it was 1k pounds of gypsum per tree per year: https://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1962-vol-75/364-371%20(YOUNG).pdf

Thanks by the way Jeff.  I tried opening the article last night on my phone, no dice.  Going to break out the laptop today and check it out. 
Brad Spaugh

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »
Yep. And, it doesn't need to receive OMRI approval to be permitted for organic production. There is a list maintained by USDA that defines what is allowed and what is not.

The main difference between organic and synthetic is how a supplement is sourced, and oftentimes the exact same product is available with and without organic certification (the former at a higher cost of course).

You are correct Jeff.  It just has to be NOP approved which is what I need.  Its a damn shame there is not an NOP K + micros granular (at least not that I know of).
- Marley