Author Topic: Papause time in SoCal  (Read 800 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Papause time in SoCal
« on: October 17, 2020, 03:12:13 PM »
Rosada. We have more fruits in La Habra than in the Yucatán in fall.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Papause time in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 05:33:59 PM »
Some crack ilamas there and I have one that has fruit just like them. Do you know what variety it is?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 05:53:17 PM »
Some crack ilamas there and I have one that has fruit just like them. Do you know what variety it is?

Mike, this is a variety from El Salvador that’s called Rosada. It grows and fruits better in Southern California than in the tropics. I’m in Yucatán right now, there isn’t much going on. Southern California is the best growing zone for tropical in the northern hemisphere

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 06:09:12 PM »
Aha now the penny drops. Its all coming back to me now. The seeds were sent as Rosendo Perez when it looks like they should have been Rosado. Yucatan peninsula south has a very similar climate in parts to where I am. Yes I think SoCal might be well suited for a few extra tropicals than has been trialled so far due to friendly minimum temps. Would make it good for higher alt tropical species.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 07:03:25 PM »
I agree.  Here in the tropics I can fruit the ultra tropical but after 10 years of traveling and now living here I’m not impress. I have to protect everything because of the scourging heat from from March to October w 50” of precipitation, not much compare to other zones in the tropics. Pix of crimson Yucatán papause and purple mangosteen