Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620601 times)

rcardaman

• USA, Florida, Vero Beach
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #475 on: January 18, 2013, 01:21:31 AM »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Richard and I live in Vero Beach, Florida.  I have been interested in plants of all types as long as I can remember.  For many years I have been interested in tropical fruit, but have had very limited space to grow much until recently.  So, I'm here to increase my knowledge, learn from all the fine members here, and share what little I know.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 25, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
My name is Brian. I am a tropical fruit enthusiast. I have all sorts of fruit trees. I live in Western Palm beach county Florida. I am a member of the Palm Beach chapter of the Rare Fruit Tree Council. Right now I am really hooked on Mango trees. I have 13 and looking for a few more. I have a Choc-Anon, Cogshall. Duncan, Haden. Nam doc mai, Kent, Duncan, Glenn, Lemon Zest, Lemon Merangue, Coconut cream, Carrie, and Malikia. Any suggestions on good ones to plant?

Hi Brian.  It sounds like you have an awesomely delicious mango and tropical fruit collection.  If you spray your trees I'd suggest adding a Dot mango; they are rather susceptible to fungus, but have an intense, richly sweet flavor.

Several forum members attend some of the P B fruit council meetings.  You may have met Patrick/PJ  and  Alex/Squam.   And if you see me there (old fat guy, balding/gray hair), come up and say Hi.    Courtesy of Rob at Excalibur I have just purchased a South Florida persimmon; I'm hoping it will do well in Lake Worth.    My partner and I also have a place in central Florida, where I have killed several persimmons and jujubes, not to mention various citrus trees.

Dan

viveroforestal

• Viveroforestal
    • Argentina, Salta, Orán, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 26, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »
Hi, Fruitlovers!!
I'm Carlos -viveroforestal - from northwestern Argentina. I've started a forest nursery 15 yr ago, and gradually started to add tropical fruits to my work. By now, me & wife, Ely grow and process a small facility of processed passionfruit pulp in bottles and forzen packs. also work with mangoes, guavas, blackberries, pitangas, acerola and other stuff.
We are trying seriously to increase our operation range to a middle scale operation plant (we are making +/- 100 bottles a day) 3-folding our actual work. So we have a strong interest in knowing people in the same areas - cultivation - processing - juices - marmalades and a big ETC.
Hope I can sum to the group -  I also apologize for mistreating your language! So here we are!!
Carlos

Passionfruit, Mango, Guava, Acerola, Pitanga, Tropical blackberries and Hearth of palm are the main subjects of my project. I have a small orchard and also process my own fruits frozen & bottled for a growing market. I'm very interested in knowing more thru people in the same area. Thanks!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #478 on: February 03, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Hello Mars,

good to have you on board!

All of the fruits I grow are in containers!  I believe anyone, anywhere in the USA has a shot at fruiting tropical plants.

I really respect the people who try to grow tropical fruits outside of their normal climate.

You can do it! 

Anything is possible with a seed, a pot of soil, and a lot of toil.

see u on the boards!

Adam

Hello all, my name is Mike.  I am obsessed with fruit. The problem is that I live in Connecticut!

I envy all those who live in South Florida and can get pretty much whatever they want. My goal is to someday eat my favorite fruits right from the tree. Mangoes are high on that list. In the Northeast I have to deal with terrible quality mangoes most of the year. We only get Lychee in June. It drives me nuts.

Melons are a favorite of mine. In the summer I live on watermelon, canary, and rock melons.

I was in South Carolina over the summer and got my hands on dragonfruit, guava, and longan.

I'd love to move to South Florida and work with fruit. If anyone can help me with that dream I would be grateful!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

perezjuanf

• usa, fl, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Hello everyone
« Reply #479 on: February 06, 2013, 11:40:22 AM »
I am new at growing Tropical fruits but not new at eating them and I love them

I just planted an Atemoya, a Sweet Apple and a Guayava trees

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #480 on: February 06, 2013, 11:45:37 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Juan!! Soon enough you will be adding Mango and Lychee trees to your collection and many others will follow...that's what happens when you hang out here  ;D

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 06, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »
Welcome Juan!  :)
Alexi

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 06, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »
Welcome!! There is a extreme amount of information on this website. Everyone is so helpful. You'll be glad you joined.

perezjuanf

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 06, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
Welcome Juan!  :)

When I purchase my house there was a Mango Tree and an Abocado tree (now there are 2)

I would like to have a lychee one but I am concern with its size

perezjuanf

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 07, 2013, 02:58:30 PM »
I am an Accountant in the process of retiring and since I don't want to become a vegetable and since I truly love tropical fruit, I started growing them.

Presently in my house I have a 50 yr old (aprox) Avocado tree in my front yard which still produces fruits, in my back yard, a 50 yr old (aprox) mango tree which produces lots of fruit, an avocado tree that like the Phoenix bird came back alive (from the stump of a tree that we thought it was dead and one day it sprouted again), a papaya tree with 3 green papayas, about 7 moringa plants and about 25 plumeria's which I grew from seeds,

For my tropical fruits in the last 6 mo I have planted 2 mango trees that were given to me, a guayaba tree, an anon (Sugar Apple) tree, and an Atemoya tree

I also enjoy working on the computer (I have made my own Web Page) spend time with my grandchildren, I like to fish when I get time.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 09, 2013, 01:22:52 AM »
Welcome Juan!
If you're planning to get your first lychee tree, I would recommend the Mauritius cultivar.
It's the most reliable in yearly production of fruit of all lychee cultivars in Florida. Also very productive and a great tasting fruit. It's not a perfect Lychee cultivar, but I think it's the best one all around.

I have three Lychee cultivars: Mauritius, HakIp and Brewster. And, Mauritius is the one to beat .
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 09, 2013, 06:02:46 AM »
For productiveness, Mauritius is the lychee of choice...for taste and concerns with tree size, it is not.
- Rob

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 11, 2013, 01:59:03 PM »
I joined the group recently but it has just occurred to me that I never did an intro posting.  My name is John Jusczak and my wife and I live in Paukaa, HI at about 600-700 feet elevation  (we are about 5 miles outside of Hilo on the big island of Hawaii).  We bought our land about 10 years ago but have only been on island about 2 1/2 years or so.  We have just recently completed our house and will hopefully begin planting our 20 acres in earnest soon.  I have been starting a variety of seed for about 2 years now so I have an assortment of things to plant out.  If I think of it, I will take an inventory of what sort of stuff I have coming along (although most many years from fruiting).

I am hoping that the forum will help me to find some more unusual fruits to try.  Unfortunately, I joined right as Red Durian was nearing the end of the big fruit season (VERY interested in fruits from Borneo) so missed most of that.

John

wanderer94

• central texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 17, 2013, 04:58:57 AM »
hello everyone, this is wanderer94 here, new to this really cool site and would like help and advice as to navigation of it. i have always been into all things green since i was a baby and now i plan on pursuing a career in pharmacobotany. exotic fruits, or just any fruit really is a passion of mine and so is growing it. lets see... some of the more unusual fruits i have are:

podocarp aril, not really a fruit
antidesma
japanese raisin tree
madrone
natal plum
rollinia
governor's plum
queen palm fruit
marula
canistel
eggfruit
mediterranean buckthorn
wax jambu
fejoa
roselle
medlar...

so i also thought i might add that i just finished a permaculture design course on a commune in israel and we grew so much great stuff...i look forward to any replies ::)

wanderer94

• central texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 17, 2013, 05:03:50 AM »
sorry, these are fruits that i have tasted, not that i own

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #490 on: February 17, 2013, 05:10:54 AM »
sorry, these are fruits that i have tasted, not that i own
Welcome to the Forum!

wanderer94

• central texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 17, 2013, 06:53:56 AM »
thanks :) happy to be here...so it seems many of you are from florida, thats really the first place that comes to mind in the mainland u.s. when one thinks of growing tropical fruits, in fact 2 places in homestead are where i have tried the majority of what i know now, one a public garden and the other a commercial farm that i had to pull some strings to visit. there are also five florida native fruits i am eager to try, the pond apple, sea grape, saw palmetto berry, muscadine, and simpson stopper...i tasted coco plum already and found it to be sweet  and juicy but a bit astringent and lacking in depth of flavor

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 21, 2013, 10:11:07 AM »
Exotic taste list, for sure you got there Wanderer!

:o

I'm in Palm Springs CA and a 9b zone, but grow only mangoes
and papayas because I'm squirmy about trying new things!!!!!!!

MangoFang the Scaredy Cat.....

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 21, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
Exotic taste list, for sure you got there Wanderer!

:o

I'm in Palm Springs CA and a 9b zone, but grow only mangoes
and papayas because I'm squirmy about trying new things!!!!!!!

MangoFang the Scaredy Cat.....
Get some cactus from Nullzero and put them at the perimeter to protect your mangoes!

wanderer94

• central texas, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 22, 2013, 04:09:43 PM »
do you do anything to your papayas in winter?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #495 on: February 24, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »
Hey,
I'm 13, and I very much enjoy rare fruit. At first, I just ate the fruit. Now I've moved on to growing them. I'm not growing much due to the fact that I live in Tennessee, but I have 4 cherimoya seedlings, and a pineapple shrub-thing. I ordered a Violet de Bordeaux fig tree which should arrive in early March, and plan on planting 20+ goji berries in a few days. The only fruits that are available here in TN are guava, jak, ugli, lognan, and the occasional lychee. I get most of my fruits either online, Whole Foods market, or a place called K & S world market in Nashville.

Bai c:

Welcome, glad you made it official by introducing yourself.  What is a pineapple shrub thing? Are you referring to pineapple guava (feijoa) or something actually pineapple related?  In any case, Nashville will have to no longer be known only as the country music capital of the world.  Now it can claim some rare tropical fruiting.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jen

• always learning
    • Australia, Brisbane - sub-tropical zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 27, 2013, 07:52:45 PM »
Sorry, I should have explained it more clearly. Just a plain pineapple, sadly. I may get a feijoa in the future though. Supposed to grow well (protected, of course) in zone 7.
Hi Henry, pineapples may not be as glamorous as some of these rare fruit but they are still fun and very worthy - and easy - to grow! I picked this a couple of days ago and my husband & I ate it last night, it was delicious. This grew from a top of a store-bought pineapple, a common variety, and still great. Good luck with the gardening.

PedalaiMaster

• Santa Barbara,CA Zone 10b,lo-med. humid,50%-70% avg.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 27, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »
X
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:29:23 PM by PedalaiMaster »
;D Many Regards to all, PM ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #498 on: February 28, 2013, 12:27:49 AM »
Welcome to the group Jackson. Very impressive that you were able to get a rollinia to fruit in Santa Barbara. Do you have any photos? Was that inside a greenhouse? We are having a bit of a contest to see who the youngest forum member is. Would you mind saying what your age is to the group? Thanks,
Oscar

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 28, 2013, 12:47:02 AM »
I think the youngest so far may be Henry (Mr. Caimito) at 13!!!

Jaime