Author Topic: new dwarf mangoes! what am I missing?  (Read 5076 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
new dwarf mangoes! what am I missing?
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:30:14 PM »
Hi!

what am I missing as far as dwarf mangoes??  I have coghsall and pickering galore, but I want some of the other names that are harder to find!!

like Angie?? I hear so much about? and what other dwarf mangoes for container culture that are new or up and coming??

also...where can I find one for sale? or budwood??

thanks in advance!!!!!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: new dwarf mangoes! what am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 12:01:16 AM »
the real obvious, Julie or the "improved" Juliette

Mahachanok, while not a dwarf, it is a slower, more compact grower...then again, I would not consider Cogshall a "dwarf" either.

Angie, from what I have seen, falls under that slower, more compact grower though not a dwarf.  There will be a handful of plants available in a month or so...as far as budwood, might be tough though I am sure there are some givers out there

I believe Kesar is also a slower, compact grower...again, not a dwarf.

For a late season variety, try Neelam...with its growth habit and a good set of pruners it should do you right.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 12:13:30 AM »
called zill and they said juillete isn't dwarf...or else I would have got a bunch.

thanks very much for the information on the other cultivars...I will consider them all carefully!!!

hey how much and when will the angies be available?? how large? thanks
the real obvious, Julie or the "improved" Juliette

Mahachanok, while not a dwarf, it is a slower, more compact grower...then again, I would not consider Cogshall a "dwarf" either.

Angie, from what I have seen, falls under that slower, more compact grower though not a dwarf.  There will be a handful of plants available in a month or so...as far as budwood, might be tough though I am sure there are some givers out there

I believe Kesar is also a slower, compact grower...again, not a dwarf.

For a late season variety, try Neelam...with its growth habit and a good set of pruners it should do you right.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:23:49 AM »
hmmm...I was informed different about Juliette but you could very well be correct.  To me, however, I wasn't a big fan of the fruit.

Anyways, Angies were grafted 2-3 months ago (not sure exactly, would have to go back into the calendar to see the exact timeframe)...they will be 3 gal for $35

- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 01:31:08 AM »
hmmm...I was informed different about Juliette but you could very well be correct.  To me, however, I wasn't a big fan of the fruit.

Anyways, Angies were grafted 2-3 months ago (not sure exactly, would have to go back into the calendar to see the exact timeframe)...they will be 3 gal for $35

OK,

I heard good things about angie, so please send me a message if you remember, when they're ready.

thanks again
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 02:23:04 AM »
Please reserve an Angie for me as well if you can ship bsbullie!  I've been looking for Angie but have not been able to find one.  I have heard lots of good things about Angie.  Hey Adam, do you still have that multigraft of Cogshall and Pickering?  Please let me know if you are willing to sell it.  I'm looking to get both varieties but have very limited space in my yard and having both varieties on one tree would be awesome.  Adam, the only other dwarfish tree that I can think of that you may be interested in is from a forum member on GardenWeb that grew a mango tree from seed.  I'm Not sure its a  dwarf but it produced when it was very young, had good production on a relatively small tree and he said the fruit tasted excellent. 
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0710224130665.html

Simon

natsgarden123

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »
Fairchild?  Small, really pretty tree. :)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 07:01:38 AM »
Please reserve an Angie for me as well if you can ship bsbullie!  I've been looking for Angie but have not been able to find one.  I have heard lots of good things about Angie.  Hey Adam, do you still have that multigraft of Cogshall and Pickering?  Please let me know if you are willing to sell it.  I'm looking to get both varieties but have very limited space in my yard and having both varieties on one tree would be awesome.  Adam, the only other dwarfish tree that I can think of that you may be interested in is from a forum member on GardenWeb that grew a mango tree from seed.  I'm Not sure its a  dwarf but it produced when it was very young, had good production on a relatively small tree and he said the fruit tasted excellent. 
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0710224130665.html

Simon
If you read that post, that tree is anything but a dwarf.  The following is from the tree's owner:

" The tree you see today is the result of lots of pruning and lots of branch bending and tying down to the ground, it did not get that shape on accident. Even with the pruning and the four month winter without growth it is larger than most trees I've ever seen of that age. So yes, very vigorous..."
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 09:29:19 AM »
As far as Fairchild...while the plant me be pretty, which i will not confirm or dispute, the fruit itself is not of the quality that i would waste limited (pot) space.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »
As far as Fairchild...while the plant me be pretty, which i will not confirm or dispute, the fruit itself is not of the quality that i would waste limited (pot) space.

Not according to Richard Campbell:  This is from the Fairchild Virtual Herbarium

‘Fairchild’ was selected in the early 1900s in the Panama Canal Zone. It was a favorite of David Fairchild and his family due to its distinctive flavor and heavy production under humid conditions. The small, oblong fruit average 10 oz and are lemon yellow at maturity in June and July. The juicy flesh is deep orange and fiberless, with a rich, aromatic and spicy flavor. %lsquo;Fairchild’ always ranks among the top echelon of cultivars in public evaluations at the Fairchild International Mango Festival. The tree and fruit are highly tolerant of disease and fruit well under humid conditions, making it a natural for South Florida. The tree is among the most ornamental of mangos, with its compact shape and deep green color. It can be maintained at a height and spread of eight feet or less, perfect for those with a modest-sized home garden.

My Fairchild has a beautiful compact shape...

To each his own....you don't like Carrie either..

*** mod edit: fixed quote ***
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:44:48 PM by Tim »

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 10:31:58 AM »
Rosigold is a decent mango!
One of the earliest to bear and can be kept small in a large container. 

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
Fairchild is a delicious and extremely productive mango, and the trees can be kept pretty small.  I think it would make a fine choice for container growing.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 12:44:53 PM »
thanks guys.

looks like angie is at top of the list...
what about some odd ball isreali or CA cultivar that's dwarf?

why do I keep thinking I'm missing a few names of dwarf mango cvs?

I've seen a pic of that one tree in italy (it keeps giving me nightmares...about not having the dwarfest best mango in my possession...lol.)  did anyone ever try to get budwood from that tree??
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 02:06:37 PM »

I hate to be in disagreement with Rob, but I would definitely not consider a potted Fairchild mango as a waste of space.  I really like the mango and the tree is what I would call semi-dwarf.  In tastings that I have had over the years, when there is a perfectly ripe Fairchild on the table, it always ranks in the upper tier of mangoes tasted.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
The ones I have in my yard and would recommend are rosigold, florigon, pickering, and fairchild.   All so far are growing slow and staying small and produce a good chunk of fruit.   

Out of this list, I would say rosigold is my favorite.

The definition for dwarf mango should be that the tree can  stay small with pruning, not that they stay small on their own.  All mango will eventually become large trees if allowed to.

I've got the ice-cream and after 5 years it is still only 3 feet high. so that one I would consider dwarf.  But, I don't get any fruit on it so I don't recommend it. 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »
And this is why tastes are subjective.  While yes, Fairchild is better than Carrie abd Risigold, it is not what i would consider a must have, especially if you have limited space.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk