Author Topic: Home Made Pesticides?  (Read 2977 times)

stuartjames

• usa
    • View Profile
Home Made Pesticides?
« on: May 18, 2017, 05:24:41 AM »
I want to know can we make pesticides at home?

ChikaZ

• Serbia
    • View Profile
Re: Home Made Pesticides?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 07:47:24 AM »
sure...

but it depends on what you need

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 08:50:13 AM »
Black Mint is a great plant to rid pests. Its a tall African marigold of some sort. Fairdinkumseeds in Australia sells these seeds. There are so many different oil, soap, plant, and other sources that make good deterants or insecticides. Tobacco is useful but be careful!
Trying to grow it all!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 06:33:39 PM »
Neem tree leaves, stems, bark, roots, and oil are good for keeping the bugs away, and may eradicate some of them.

junglevulture

• Puna, Hawai'i (Wet Tropics)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »
I have used the approach for years of utilizing the following when I see a potential problem (aphids, thrip nymphs, etc):

~jug of White Vinegar
~handful of Garlic Cloves, smashed
~handful of coarsely chopped HOT Peppers

I place these together in a glass jar in the sun and let it sit for a few weeks. When I deem its strong enough and ready I put it in a spray bottle.

I've yet to encounter any pests that stand up to it. Keep in mind if its raining you will have to reapply the spray. There is peace of mind knowing none of the ingredients are damaging to humans or pets, and they are all easy to come by.

*One thing to note is that there are some plants that intensely dislike those plants of the Allium family to which Garlic belongs. I have never tried this natural pesticide on any of those plants so I cannot tell you how they would react. Any Legumes (beans, peas, lima beans, etc) and Asparagus dislike Alliums in their vicinity a great deal. I can only surmise that spraying the juices directly on them might have awful effect on their growth.

You could, of course, replace the Garlic with any other intensely aromatic herbs that repel insects and try that.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 04:10:16 PM by junglevulture »