Author Topic: Ziziphus mauritiana (Indian Jujube) Varieties  (Read 2417 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Ziziphus mauritiana (Indian Jujube) Varieties
« on: February 20, 2020, 11:45:39 AM »
I haven't seen much posted on the forum about it but I had my first large sampling of Thai Giant/Thornless and it was impressed.

Nice fruit but the season is where I think it shines.
A crunchy sweet fruit in winter is a welcome change.

A few years ago I had some at my parent's house (i believe the seeds came from the Caribbean) but it wasn't nearly as good. Too much tannins and not a great texture.

Does anyone know of any improved varieties other than Thai Giant/Thornless?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Ziziphus mauritiana (Indian Jujube) Varieties
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »
There are tons of improved cultivars in India. All I’ve ever been able to find here are the Thai Giant and its doppelgängers. All the ones I’ve had from the Caribbean aren’t as good.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 07:46:52 PM »
There are tons of improved cultivars in India. All I’ve ever been able to find here are the Thai Giant and its doppelgängers. All the ones I’ve had from the Caribbean aren’t as good.

Anyone know a good place to buy one?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 07:58:43 PM »
I've had fruit from my Thai Giant thornless already it is has been pretty good. Big, sweet and mildly juicy reminiscent of a green apple without any color change. My inlaws in central Trinidad have a huge thorned type that is ok. Definitely more tannin in the flavor but not objectionable. I'm trying GA866 and Sugar Cane at my 9B location but I've read anecdotally that people with mature trees haven't fruited (yet :) ) this far south.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 09:13:29 PM »

Figured as much. I guess those haven't found their way here as yet. I would assume Thailand would have some too.

Have you tried any from the USDA collection?

Also, I got the soursop seedling for you whenever your in the are lmk

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 04:24:37 PM »
I grow them in pots, easy to dwarf them and make fruits.

https://www.facebook.com/plantetropicale/posts/2046680948687721

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 05:24:17 PM »
I have acquired direct from Thailand a very large, apple sized variety that is supposed to be a new release called ‘Big Milk’

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 06:05:53 PM »
I have acquired direct from Thailand a very large, apple sized variety that is supposed to be a new release called ‘Big Milk’

Looks good!!

Let us know if you're going to make Budwood available in the future

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 06:45:24 AM »

Wow that is big indeed

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 07:56:52 AM »
Yes, I will absolutely make budwood available in the future

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 10:50:22 PM »
I have acquired direct from Thailand a very large, apple sized variety that is supposed to be a new release called...

Wow how is the fruit?  Those look awesome, definitely interested in budwood also.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 06:53:03 AM »
I imagine that it will taste something like Thai Giant, but honestly I have not received any info regarding its flavor profile. We shall see in 2 or 3 years :)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 09:19:03 AM »

How long have you been growing them in pots? From what I've seen, they are not an easy tree to dwarf, and I've dealt with hundreds of these trees in pots. They are usually very fast growers.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 09:22:20 AM »
I've had fruit from my Thai Giant thornless already it is has been pretty good. Big, sweet and mildly juicy reminiscent of a green apple without any color change. My inlaws in central Trinidad have a huge thorned type that is ok. Definitely more tannin in the flavor but not objectionable. I'm trying GA866 and Sugar Cane at my 9B location but I've read anecdotally that people with mature trees haven't fruited (yet :) ) this far south.

GA866 and Sugar Cane aren't Z. mauritiana but Z. jujuba. Once they fruit, let us know how they compare.

Have you been to La Vega Estate? Last time I was there, I remember seeing a lot of the Thai thornless jujubes planted on the size of a hill. They're probably in full production now.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 09:25:56 AM »

Figured as much. I guess those haven't found their way here as yet. I would assume Thailand would have some too.

Have you tried any from the USDA collection?

Also, I got the soursop seedling for you whenever your in the are lmk

From what I remember, the ones in the USDA collection in Miami are not that good. They are mostly seedlings that someone brought back. I don't know if they have improved the collection in recent years.

I'll hit you up soon regarding the soursop. Thanks!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 09:26:45 AM »

Awesome! Did you order the tree online or did you import budwood and graft it yourself?

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »
I imported a small tree. It got stuck in customs for almost a month. Barely made it

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 06:27:30 PM »

How long have you been growing them in pots? From what I've seen, they are not an easy tree to dwarf, and I've dealt with hundreds of these trees in pots. They are usually very fast growers.

In the same year I graft them, they flower. You need to take scion from a mature tree, that flowers. Scion selection is important. Side grafting works best. This variety is Thai as well, not so big but very delicious.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 08:33:20 PM »
I imported a small tree. It got stuck in customs for almost a month. Barely made it

I'm very interested to see if the cultivar is any different or if they just selected the larger fruit for their sales images. They're very precocious trees so you should have tons of fruit soon to compare.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 08:36:09 PM »

I'm very interested to see if the cultivar is any different or if they just selected the larger fruit for their sales images. They're very precocious trees so you should have tons of fruit soon to compare.

Yes I am skeptical of that myself, but we shall see

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 08:37:23 PM »
In the same year I graft them, they flower. You need to take scion from a mature tree, that flowers. Scion selection is important. Side grafting works best. This variety is Thai as well, not so big but very delicious.

I think you may have missed my point. I understand how grafting works and I know that they can fruit at a very small size. I've seen many 3 gallon Z. mauritiana fruit.

What I am wondering is how long have you been keeping your grafted Z. mauritiana trees in pots. I am asking because you claim they are "easy to dwarf them". What is the longest you have kept one productive in a small container? I don't doubt that you can keep one small, but I am doubting that it would be easy.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 06:46:04 AM »
I have them about 3 years is 1 gallon container.
I trim the roots in springs, and cut a third of foliage and they still produce, of course not a big harvest.

I think you may have missed my point. I understand how grafting works and I know that they can fruit at a very small size. I've seen many 3 gallon Z. mauritiana fruit.

What I am wondering is how long have you been keeping your grafted Z. mauritiana trees in pots. I am asking because you claim they are "easy to dwarf them". What is the longest you have kept one productive in a small container? I don't doubt that you can keep one small, but I am doubting that it would be easy.