Author Topic: What's new?  (Read 1485 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
What's new?
« on: April 09, 2020, 07:32:29 PM »
I have a fingerlime I got years ago. I stuck it under an Oak tree and
it did terrible for years. I read that it is an under story tree and didn't do well
in full sun. The tree always had die back under the Oak?
Last year I dug it up and put it in a 20 gallon pot. Now the tree is
dark dark green and never has looked so good. It flowered twice this Spring
and I noticed it has a bunch of little limes on it. I will get a picture when the
limes are a little bigger but it's loaded. My yard looks great this year and so far
everything is fruiting more then ever but this Lime is what I am most excited about.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:28:18 PM by achetadomestica »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: What's new?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 07:35:16 PM »
Oak allelopathy?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 07:46:29 PM »
Oak allelopathy?
Exactly.Oak has a lot of tannins.Not as dangerous as a walnut wich kills even tough grass but it has enough toxins to harm otther trees and plants.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 12:00:54 AM »
Awesome!  I planted a small one in some pretty solid shade as well, not oak tho.  I was recently considering moving it tho cuz it’s done almost nothing in the 9months or so since I planted it.  I may give it a little longer then do the same as you if things aren’t looking up.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 07:11:31 AM »
Oak allelopathy?
Exactly.Oak has a lot of tannins.Not as dangerous as a walnut wich kills even tough grass but it has enough toxins to harm otther trees and plants.
No so sure about that. It has been noted that especially seedling citrus which grew up along with oak trees seem unaffected by greening, bearing good crops with no irrigation, spraying, or fertilization. There seems to be something going on there, have a look at the video to see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtO0Pa6tD8s&t

University of Florida has done some testing, albeit in pots and greenhouse using oak leaf extract.
https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/irrec/2020/01/21/oak-trees-may-hold-antibacterial-to-help-infected-citrus-trees/

Rather than bringing the oaks to the citrus in a concentrated form  I suspect the anecdotal evidence seen in the video has more to do with an associative effect between forest trees in a forest environment. We know how trees share nutrients through fungal networks and even via root grafting.  Scientifically replicating a long term coexistence over a 10-20 year period is probably beyond most researchers dreams. It may not even be the oak trees making the difference it could just be an environmental factor related more to the forest.
It may also only be possible to see the association if the citrus and forest grow up together. Planting a new citrus tree under an established forest or oak or otherwise is quite different from the citrus growing up in a pioneering position within the forest.

Here is another video by a member here who sees a good effect within an intentionally planted understory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADZbZBnYik0

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 08:44:34 AM »
I planted my finger lime in an understory of fishtail and foxtail palms and it is heavily shaded all day. (It wasn't doing so hot in a pot in full sun or even partial shade) It started flowering for about two weeks but it dropped the fruits and started shooting out tons of new growth.

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 09:06:48 AM »
Oak allelopathy?
No so sure about that. It has been noted that especially seedling citrus which grew up along with oak trees seem unaffected by greening, bearing good crops with no irrigation, spraying, or fertilization. There seems to be something going on there, have a look at the video to see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtO0Pa6tD8s&t

University of Florida has done some testing, albeit in pots and greenhouse using oak leaf extract.
https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/irrec/2020/01/21/oak-trees-may-hold-antibacterial-to-help-infected-citrus-trees/

Rather than bringing the oaks to the citrus in a concentrated form  I suspect the anecdotal evidence seen in the video has more to do with an associative effect between forest trees in a forest environment. We know how trees share nutrients through fungal networks and even via root grafting.  Scientifically replicating a long term coexistence over a 10-20 year period is probably beyond most researchers dreams. It may not even be the oak trees making the difference it could just be an environmental factor related more to the forest.
It may also only be possible to see the association if the citrus and forest grow up together. Planting a new citrus tree under an established forest or oak or otherwise is quite different from the citrus growing up in a pioneering position within the forest.

Here is another video by a member here who sees a good effect within an intentionally planted understory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADZbZBnYik0

I saw that study done with oak and citrus and there does seem to be some benefit from the oak leaves. I started spraying my citrus with oak leaf tea a few weeks ago and saw some pretty rapid results (I also mulched them with oak leaves at the same time).  The leaves got darker and perkier almost overnight. There wasn’t anything particularly wrong with my citrus, I was mainly doing it as a preventative for greening but I was pretty surprised with the results. I started spraying my other trees with it too and got mixed results. My mangoes and lychee looked a little greener and perkier but not as dramatically as the citrus but it think I may have given my jackfruit seedlings rust spots from getting them wet. I don’t know if it had anything to do with the oak or if compost tea would have done the same thing but I’m going to keep playing around with it.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 01:25:23 PM »
I always confused between maple and oak tree.  What is the difference?  How can I told it is maple or oak? 

Thanks everyone...
Al

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 07:25:40 PM »
My potted finger limes are in full sun and they are all blooming now.
After our tornado a few years ago I have no more big trees.
They winter in a greenhouse but the rest of the year full sun, Miracle Grow and regular waterings.

Kevin Jones

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 07:44:28 PM »
My potted finger limes are in full sun and they are all blooming now.
After our tornado a few years ago I have no more big trees.
They winter in a greenhouse but the rest of the year full sun, Miracle Grow and regular waterings.

Kevin Jones
Who told me they are under story trees?
At least it only took me 6-7 years to figure it out :P

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 08:51:44 PM »
I always confused between maple and oak tree.  What is the difference?  How can I told it is maple or oak? 

Thanks everyone...
Al

Oaks have acorns.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 09:25:53 PM »

Thanks everyone...
Al

Oaks have acorns.

Thanks Oolie....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk