Author Topic: New mango varieties from Zill - Lil Gem, Ambrosia, Delores, Kathy and Nancy  (Read 46643 times)

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
Thanks Har - guess I'll just have to ask the HOA for approval to plant one of these :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
None of these new Zill varieties are compact or dwarf trees right?

Little Gem is compact but not dwarf.
- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
Thanks! I'll contact my local nurseries and try to find one.

TravelingFriend

• North America, SE states, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Zone 9a - 10a
    • View Profile
Hey Squam!  Have you tasted Orange Essence? I have read obviously limited reports of how it tastes. Quote: like an orange lifesaver with sugar cane. If that's the case, it would match up quite well to Orange Sherbet. Also, a question on Peach Cobbler? I have the tree and will be letting it fruit this year! From what I have read, It seems to bear at similar times to Venus, or within about a week or so, is this somewhat correct? beginning to Middle of August ?

Scion cuttings? Sounds like you've got some good ones, if we can't get some grafting material for those mentioned.
I am amazed all the time, hearing of these new mangoes, and I still haven't tried the last one, LOL!

Thanks friends...

bsbullie

• View Profile

I wouldn't rush to get it just cause of its growth habit.   Its not yhat great of a fruit.

Are you growing in the ground or in a pot?
- Rob

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Yes, not a memorable flavor.  Good to plant by the street, I guess, for the fresh passers-by.
Har

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
How does Honey Kiss measure up compared to Lemon Zest / Coconut Cream / Seacrest in terms of quality of fruit/tree vigor?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
To me, Honey Kiss does not have the wow factor of the varieties you named, but it is one of the best late season mangoes, along with Venus and Beverly.  Very productive as well.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile

I wouldn't rush to get it just cause of its growth habit.   Its not yhat great of a fruit.

Are you growing in the ground or in a pot?

Yes was trying to grow it in a pot, but based off the feedback, I'll hold off.  Thanks guys!

bsbullie

• View Profile
How does Honey Kiss measure up compared to Lemon Zest / Coconut Cream / Seacrest in terms of quality of fruit/tree vigor?

Honey Kiss has the least vigor.  Better than Seacrest,  not as good as LZ.  I am on the fence with Coconut Cream.   Starting to be less enthused about it.  I would eat some during season but dont think I would want a tree for personal consumption.
- Rob

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile

Honey Kiss has the least vigor.  Better than Seacrest,  not as good as LZ.  I am on the fence with Coconut Cream.   Starting to be less enthused about it.  I would eat some during season but dont think I would want a tree for personal consumption.

I bought a Honey Kiss from bender's grove based on your description of the fruit, wondering now if I should've gone with Lemon Zest or Orange Essence since this will be my only mango tree.

bsbullie

• View Profile

I bought a Honey Kiss from bender's grove based on your description of the fruit, wondering now if I should've gone with Lemon Zest or Orange Essence since this will be my only mango tree.

Its a late season, very compact and heavy producer.  Taste is very good.  Better than Orange Essence in my opinion.   There are some who shop at Walter Zill's who like HK better than LZ and vice versa.

Why your only mango?
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile

If you only have space for one tree, you should definitely consider multi grafting your tree to get fruit from different varieties. I only have two mango trees in my yard, but this year I should be getting fruit from 10 different varieties between those two trees.

One thing to be aware of though is to graft only varieties that are similar in growth habit so the tree as a whole will be easier to maintain.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile

Its a late season, very compact and heavy producer.  Taste is very good.  Better than Orange Essence in my opinion.   There are some who shop at Walter Zill's who like HK better than LZ and vice versa.

Why your only mango?

Space reasons, also I like mango but  I won't be able to eat most of them  or give them away since most people I know aren't big on fruit.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile

If you only have space for one tree, you should definitely consider multi grafting your tree to get fruit from different varieties. I only have two mango trees in my yard, but this year I should be getting fruit from 10 different varieties between those two trees.

One thing to be aware of though is to graft only varieties that are similar in growth habit so the tree as a whole will be easier to maintain.

What varieties do you have grafted on each tree?

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
How does 'Seacrest' compare to 'Beverly' in terms of quality, taste, production and season?

'Beverly' Mango is superior in taste when compared to 'Keitt' (TFForum research: Jeff...).
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Personally, I think Seacrest's taste/quality puts it in my top 10 mango list. Rob has stated that not many feel its taste is top shelf. Try it before you plant it. I cannot comment on season or production yet. I believe it is a July fruit.

How does 'Seacrest' compare to 'Beverly' in terms of quality, taste, production and season?

'Beverly' Mango is superior in taste when compared to 'Keitt' (TFForum research: Jeff...).
Brandon

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Seacrest is early-to-mid season and tastes similar to Orange Essence.   Seacrest is far richer tasting than Beverly, but that probably isn't relevant, as they are of different seasons.
Har

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
What is known about Autumn J26 I think?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms

A Zillate seedling. Mediocre.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile

A Zillate seedling. Mediocre.

thanks Alex I had bad info

bsbullie

• View Profile
Seacrest is early-to-mid season and tastes similar to Orange Essence.   Seacrest is far richer tasting than Beverly, but that probably isn't relevant, as they are of different seasons.

Seacrest can vary in quality from year to year.   It is more often than not a moderately mild mango of a classic "mango" flavor however in dome years it exhibits more intensity and complexity.   I have had a number of them this season snd it is of the outlier, better quality.

If I had to choose,  I may prefer Orange Essence.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:26:09 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
Does anyone know which of the newer varieties is more anthracnose resistant?  Also, with Sweet Tart, Fruit Punch, Pineapple Pleasure and Coconut Cream.
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile

The Seacrest I've had are in a higher league than Beverly as far as taste

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
Re: New mango varieties from Zill - Lil Gem, Ambrosia, Delores, Kathy and Nancy
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2017, 06:26:42 AM »
Anyone have any information on Phoenix and Orange Essence? How are they compared to Lemon Zest / Sweet Tart in terms of taste, disease resistance, vigor, growth habit?