Author Topic: First avacado fruitset in my yard 2015  (Read 3124 times)

Fiddlewood

• Zone 10a - Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    • View Profile
First avacado fruitset in my yard 2015
« on: March 19, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »

This is a Kahaluu branch Patrick grafted onto my Nishikawa  tree on 2/2/2014.  The Nishikawa tree just had it's first crop (9) picked in Nov. and Dec. 2014.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Re: First avacado fruitset in my yard 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »
Looking Good !
Zone 10

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:42:52 PM »
Nice.
Michael

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 12:31:20 PM »
Glad to hear that your Nishikawa is doing well in Palm Beach Gardens. I am in Boca Raton, so roughly the same climate as you. I bought 6 3gal avocado trees last year - Monroe, Catalina, Nishikawa, Fuerte, Lula, Wurtz. My Nishikawa looks like the weakest of the lot - no bloom, no new growth yet. The Fuerte, Lula, Wurtz, and Catalina all flowered and set many fruit (which I won't leave for long). The Monroe started to flower but seems to have stalled in a kind of mini cauliflower stage.

My goal is to try for year-around avocado availability. I still have a couple of planting spots, so I'm hoping to score some super early cultivars to cover February through June. Hopefully a Kampong, and maybe a Doni or Simmonds. I'm open to suggestions!!!

Fiddlewood

• Zone 10a - Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 11:12:40 PM »
Most of my avacado trees are too young to produce. Only my Lula  and Nishikawa are old enough to produce. I am afraid I may have the same gap to fill. Many of them just went into the ground in the last few months.

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 08:17:41 AM »
Most of my avacado trees are too young to produce. Only my Lula  and Nishikawa are old enough to produce. I am afraid I may have the same gap to fill. Many of them just went into the ground in the last few months.

I've found lots of interesting avocado info on the 'avocado 24/7' thread. Sounds like many of the Hawaiian varieties are wonderful, but there's uncertainty about whether they will perform well here in Florida. I sure hope so!

BTW, Day is a nice avocado that has worked out for me. Nice creamy avocado that bears late July into September...

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 08:24:23 AM »
My goal is to try for year-around avocado availability. I still have a couple of planting spots, so I'm hoping to score some super early cultivars to cover February through June. Hopefully a Kampong, and maybe a Doni or Simmonds. I'm open to suggestions!!!

The Home Depot stores in West Boca, and Coral Springs have (or have had recently) Doni as did the Lowes in Coral Springs
Regards,

Gary

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »

The Home Depot stores in West Boca, and Coral Springs have (or have had recently) Doni as did the Lowes in Coral Springs

Dittos on the Doni in Coral Springs Home Depot at University and Atlantic ....I saw some great specimens about three weeks ago

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 11:26:09 AM »
BTW, Day is a nice avocado that has worked out for me. Nice creamy avocado that bears late July into September...

Of the  3 or 4 avocado fruit I tried which were shipped from a tropical fruit nursery/farm in the South Texas border area, Day is probably the only one I'd bother planting given the right climate.  It is indeed nice and creamy with a high oil content. It should do very well in your heat and high RH.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 09:53:23 PM »
i wouldn't bank too hard on fruit set. from my experience avocado flowers well, but only a small percent of the flowers hold fruit to maturity (~1%).

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 11:36:13 PM »
beautiful
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk