Author Topic: Pickering and Rosiegold taste comparison  (Read 2926 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Pickering and Rosiegold taste comparison
« on: July 06, 2012, 09:42:27 PM »
This past week I harvested my first Pickering and Rosiegold mangos of 2012.

Rosiegold
Beautiful skin color. The name fits the fruit perfectly. Supposed to be the earliest Florida mango but mine were very late this year. The flavor is sweet but not very  distinct or appealing. An OK mango but not one I could recommend for flavor.  This one was grown in a large pot under drier conditions so it was not watery.

Pickering
Not an eye catching or pretty mango. Would not sell well due to the color alone. Taste-wise, this is the best mango I have eaten this year. The flesh is firm and has an outstanding coconut-pineapple flavor. Reminds me a bit of a good Julie mango but this is much better. How did I wait so many years to grow this?   
FloridaGreenMan

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Pickering and Rosiegold taste comparison
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:48:04 PM »
The pickering sounds like a winner. What's weird is that some detect the coconut flavor in pickering and some don't.  Thanks for the review.  :)
Alexi

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 09:56:07 PM »
Noel - have you noticed if you let the Pickering stay on the tree longer than normal and become fully ripe that it loses that pineapple (or hint of tartness) and takes on a stronger coconut (or "tropical") nuance/flavor ?
- Rob

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 10:17:54 PM »
Noel - have you noticed if you let the Pickering stay on the tree longer than normal and become fully ripe that it loses that pineapple (or hint of tartness) and takes on a stronger coconut (or "tropical") nuance/flavor ?

I picked this one when it was still hard as a rock and it had more coconut flavor with a slight pineapple nuance. I picked one today that was a bit soft so I will let you know if there is any difference.

FloridaGreenMan

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »
Was talking to my mom over the phone yesterday, ( She is in Hollywood ), and she told me she ate the 1st Pickering of a tree I purchased from Jeff, in April ( It had fruits on it already at that time ).

She just loved them, said they were as good as the Valencia Pride, we have in the back yard.  this year the VP did not even flower.  so she was happy to at least get a few good mangoes.

She gave up long ago on mangoes from the super market , which she calls "worthless" lol.

Now I want a Pickering for my back yard.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

MarcoIslandMango

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:48:41 PM »
I just recently ate the first of 2 Pickering on my young tree.  The coconut flavor was out in spades.  Fantastic.  Didn't detect pineapple but looking forward to another one.
-Brett