Author Topic: this isnt new news anymore  (Read 3019 times)

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
owari satsuma, ruby red grapefruit, sunburst tangerine, meyer lemon, ponkan mandarin, st ann satsuma,  gold nugget mandarin, nagami kumquat, pineapples

Darkman

• Pensacola, Fl 8b/9a South of I-10
    • View Profile
Re: this isnt new news anymore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Good thing we juice our own!!!

BarbJ

• Cupertino, CA, 9-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:56:03 PM »
Did anyone read the comments on this piece?  Wow...I really hope that's not a representative slice of the population, but dang, I'm afraid it might be.

But at least the mainstream media is starting to notice. 

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:59:59 AM »
The comments were the best part. Very uneducated people there. As much as I dislike the POTUS, the ones blaming it on him ordering some shadow agency to spray the trees from high altitude to give them this were the best. I guess he was planning this course of action a decade before he came into power, I don't know. Or the "keep your disease in Florida, our oranges here are fine" from Arizona. As far as I have heard it has spread to every commercial citrus producing state has it not?

BarbJ

• Cupertino, CA, 9-15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »
Yes, I believe you're right about the spreading, at least the psyllid has spread, not sure if greening itself has spread everywhere, but it's probably just a matter of time. (it's a conspiracy I tells ya!  ;) )

On the old CGF(I think, or it was on the GW citrus forum) Patty S. posted this really good video of a talk done by Aaron Dillon of Four Winds on what's going on in the citrus propagating business to help keep it from spreading. He does a great job explaining what is law now, and how other states really need to start doing something now and not wait for the government as it will come to them, just a matter of when.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeQZhVrTI_g

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 03:58:06 PM »
There was 1 and maybe 2 of the comments that had an educated mind that wrote them.  The comments as demonstrated by the remaining writers  makes me worry about the future of this country.  God help us, and PLEASE hurry. - Millet

hoosierquilt

• San Diego Co, CA USDA 10a, Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »
I agree with Millet, this is a terribly written report, full of misconceptions.  "But once the immediate crisis is averted, another problem looms: how to convince American consumers to put orange juice back on their breakfast tables."  Seriously?!?  That's not the issue.  The issue is the "immediate crisis" is not going to be averted by replanting.  I think the reporter missed the crux of the issue entirely - that there is no cure, and no amount of spraying, fertilizing, etc. will stop the eventual demise of a tree infected with HLB.  And that in order to still be able to grow citrus commercially, growers are now being forced to replant every 3 to 5 years.  Who on earth could afford to do that and stay in business unless the price of orange juice goes up so high, no one in their right mind would pay for it.  Missed the enormous elephant in the room.  Oh brother.   :-\

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 04:46:53 PM »
Greening is not just an inconvenience.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk