Author Topic: Ate My First Guanabana. :)  (Read 2618 times)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Ate My First Guanabana. :)
« on: May 18, 2014, 07:20:02 PM »
My mom noticed that the largest of the six guanabana fruits that are growing on my tree fell on the ground this morning dead-ripe. My dad quickly went to the back yard and picked it up. The fruit was nice and soft. My mom ate a slice of the guanabana and she loved it. The flesh has a lot of cotton like your typical guanabana and it was very creamy and juicy at the same time. In fact, it's kinda like eating genip (mamoncillo). It was very sweet, yet it also had a bit of acidity to it. Nice flavor, kinda reminiscent of passion fruit.

My mom collecting the rest of the pulp to make batido de guanabana (guanabana shake).

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:09:40 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Ate My First Guanabana. :)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »
Nice going there, congrats. Regular guanabanas taste great. Still, I'd love to see a new seedling variety be developed that would have no acidity, and then, perhaps, the flavor of the fruit could be enjoyed even more.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:52:16 PM »
Dam that looks good ! Love Guanabana Shake !
Zone 10

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 03:32:34 PM »
^Thanks! I think the cultivar that Lara Farms sell is the sweet type.
Alexi

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 08:34:24 PM »
Next time you have some guanabana,  put a cupfull of pulp in Osterizer. Add equal amount of water. Beat at medium speed for 5 minutes. Filter using a sieve and you have a  nice thick soursop juice. You can also make icecream. Be carefull  to remove seeds before blending as they are toxic.
                                        mangaba

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 11:49:41 PM »
You will love the juice.  It's better than iced tea on a warm summer' day.  Love the little bit of tang.  It's super good for you too.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:51:44 AM »
Next time you have some guanabana,  put a cupfull of pulp in Osterizer. Add equal amount of water. Beat at medium speed for 5 minutes. Filter using a sieve and you have a  nice thick soursop juice. You can also make icecream. Be carefull  to remove seeds before blending as they are toxic.
                                        mangaba

Thanks for the advice Mangaba. I accidently blended two seeds. One was still whole and I took it out and the other broke into large chunks. I took all the seed pieces out and strained the blended shake to filter out the thick pieces of pulp and any other small pieces of seed that possibly remained. I drank it afterwards and I didn't get any adverse reaction. It tasted great. :)
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 12:52:39 AM »
You will love the juice.  It's better than iced tea on a warm summer' day.  Love the little bit of tang.  It's super good for you too.

I'll try that someday. :) I still have five other guanabanas on the tree.
Alexi

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 10:29:01 PM »
My tree is loaded with fruit for the first time, its a seedling that was planted ten years ago, fruited here and there but now loaded. Thirty fruits last time I counted. But I'm having a problem with green scale on the fruits themselves.
I have tried neem oil but does not seem to be helping, ideas?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk