Author Topic: Orange Frost Hardy Satsuma  (Read 8018 times)

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
Orange Frost Hardy Satsuma
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:18:55 PM »
Hi, I am new to Citrus. When I was at walmart the other day I was pleasently surprised to see hardy satsumas for sale at Walmart. Many were bearing fruit, however I sacrificed productivity for size and bought an approximately two foot specimen, labeled ‘Orange Frost’ Hardy Satsuma.

Reading up on the variety, I found it to be a 2014 Texas Superstar. Anyone else growing it or it's sister variety, Arctic Frost?

http://www.plantanswers.com/Articles/OrangeFrost.asp

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Frost Hardy Satsuma
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:02:44 PM »
I'm growing it in a container. I just bought it this year. I would love to find one at my walmart for trial outside, considering I paid $60 for one at Pikes.

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »
I doubt it can be successfully grown outside where you live.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 02:55:45 PM »
Reading up on the variety, I found it to be a 2014 Texas Superstar. Anyone else growing it or it's sister variety, Arctic Frost?

http://www.plantanswers.com/Articles/OrangeFrost.asp

I am, planted in the spring.  It's taking off like a ruptured goose.  I'll get a pic of it and post it. Supposed to be cold hardy down to 10F.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »
I doubt it can be successfully grown outside where you live.

Zone 7a, no way.

Leave it up to Walmart to sell what won't work for the local community.  I see plant material for sell, fruits trees for example, that will fail in our area.  They're just not suited in more ways than one.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:28:12 AM by Mark in Texas »

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 10:50:29 AM »
Sanddollarmoon , if you keep it in a container I think you can enjoy it for years. Leave it outside during appropriate weather but when you get cold temps you will have to take adequate precautions for freezing temps or bring it inside. I'm guessing that means anytime temps are below 18' F. If you get tired of baby sitting it after a few years give me a shout and I will come get it. You have some work to do but you can have great fun with it.

I'd guess most of those would die in less than 12 months in Tennessee from neglect or ignorance. I certainly agree it's not exactly perfect for sale in Tennessee. Optimistically speaking maybe Walmart had them for special people like you.  If you can find a Kishu mandarin I'd recommend it but it would mean the same amount of work. The Kishu fruit is very small and has been very cute and sweet for me but I'm in a very different climate than you. Best wishes and get ready for winter ! Tom

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »
Thanks everyone. I have no plans to overwinter it outdoors- according to to the website I posted above it should hardy to 8a, rather than 7.

Tom, I have nothing against pampering plants. Most of my plants are ultra-tropical and would not survive an hour outdoors during the winter.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 07:55:16 PM »
Sanddollarmoon, I don't know how Satsumas or Kishu will do in your ultra tropical set up. Ultra tropical in your zone sounds like great fun.Pampering is good. I like it too.  Tom

plantrant

• texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 09:35:18 AM »
I bought one in a 3 gallon pot with a Greenleaf Nursery tag that was said to be growing on "it's own roots" at a Houston-area plant sale last Winter and replanted it in a 15 gallon pot with very good drainage to address root rot concerns. I clipped off several small fruit in Spring and allowed 2 fruit to develop, and recently got to taste my first Orange Frost Satsuma/Changsha tangerine cross fruit. The flavor was outstanding. It seems to be a little less sweet than some of the other satsumas, but the pleasant surprise was that there was a noticeable cherry-like taste mixed in with a good Satsuma flavor. Almost like a Satsuma-flavored fruit punch. I let the plant go dry for about 2 weeks prior to harvesting the 2 fruit. The peeling had a very pleasant aroma that is different from Satsuma peeling. This one is a real keeper. No offense to the other satsumas, but you have just been upstaged.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 09:56:50 AM »
I bought one in a 3 gallon pot with a Greenleaf Nursery tag that was said to be growing on "it's own roots" at a Houston-area plant sale last Winter and replanted it in a 15 gallon pot with very good drainage to address root rot concerns. I clipped off several small fruit in Spring and allowed 2 fruit to develop, and recently got to taste my first Orange Frost Satsuma/Changsha tangerine cross fruit. The flavor was outstanding. It seems to be a little less sweet than some of the other satsumas, but the pleasant surprise was that there was a noticeable cherry-like taste mixed in with a good Satsuma flavor. Almost like a Satsuma-flavored fruit punch. I let the plant go dry for about 2 weeks prior to harvesting the 2 fruit. The peeling had a very pleasant aroma that is different from Satsuma peeling. This one is a real keeper. No offense to the other satsumas, but you have just been upstaged.

Nice to know, thanks!

Also, welcome to the forum.  Where in Texas do you live?   Recommend revising your profile for more info, like your zone etc.