Author Topic: Benzbromarone Kills Citrus Greening Baceria  (Read 2419 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Benzbromarone Kills Citrus Greening Baceria
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:13:17 PM »
The team from UF's Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences said that it has discovered a chemical that kills the citrus greening
The chemical — benzbromarone — has been used to treat gout in humans but has never been approved for use in the United States because of concerns over reports of acute liver injury. Researchers sprayed greenhouse tree shoots infected with greening with three different chemicals, and the benzbromarone halted the bacteria in 80 percent of the infected trees' shoots.
But researchers caution that this good news is only the first step in a years long process "We are getting closer and closer," said researcher Claudio Gonzalez. - Millet

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Benzbromarone Kills Citrus Greening Baceria
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 03:04:11 AM »
Acute liver damage?  Wonderful...  just bury it in the fine print like the medical folks do with new drugs.  I myself may have something that I think may do the job and is organic based, but I did it as a one off since the formula is so different from what I have done before and I didn't want any left over if things went wrong.  Things went spooky, but right so I will make another small batch and try it on an FMV infected fig tree.  If I get the same positive results I saw in sick citrus, then I may contact the state lab and let them try it in their south Texas facility.  If I was younger, I might be pursuing research money like the other guys, but I am retired and bored, so that is my powerful motivator rather than money.  If things work out, good for us, we will tell a tale.  Maybe it will be better than a fishing story.  If not, at least a few days were not boring.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
Ignorant me looked up FMV.
Full Motion Video?
Fair Market Value?
Fields, Morris & Verdin (wine merchants)?
Ah, found it - Fig Mosaic Virus!!
But what's it got to do with Citrus Greening?

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 12:45:29 PM »
It's a continuation of thought similar to meandering, but a little more focused.  There's more than one way to skin a cat, but the thing to realize is that without thought, you are going to get your hands dirty.

All of these ideas are dancing around the thought that though different, HLB & FMV are currently considered incurable.  That must not be allowed to continue unchecked.

karpes

• South Louisiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »
I think it's brilliant. Helps with gout and kills Citrus greening. What more could you ask for?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk