Author Topic: Citrus Budding Review  (Read 4631 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Citrus Budding Review
« on: August 10, 2014, 11:09:51 PM »
Part -1 THE BUDDING KNIFE: The technique of budding is relatively simple, and requires only a few tools, although the art of budding takes some time to master.  My first lesson in budding was taught to me by a real master of the art - Bonnie Childress aka the Budding man. The most important tool for budding is a QUALITY, sharp budding knife.  Budding knives are designed with thin blades that are flat on one side and ground to a sharp cutting edge on the other edge.  By grinding the edge only on one side, the knives more easily glide just beneath the bud when cutting it from the bud stick.  Budding knives are also available in right and left handed versions.  Another feature of budding knives is a bump on the back edge of the blade,  This bump is designed for opening the flaps of the T to allow the bud to be inserted more easily. Many of the most experienced bidders simply rock the blade after making the T cut, thus making the cut and opening the flaps in one motion. -Millet
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:59:28 PM by Millet »

Axier

• Basque country Z10 (Cantabrian coast)
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus Budding Review
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 05:41:05 AM »
Grafting is always interesting for me, I am a newbie with citrus but I am grafting other fruit trees for years now.
I tried tons of pocket knives for grafting, including one as you describe, but none performs for me like this cheap knife:

I am not, by far, so experienced as Budding man, but this knife is the best for me.
(By the way, I have nothing to do with the brand of this knife :))
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:33:26 AM by Axier »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:59:45 AM »
I tried this for the first time a month or so ago using an exacto knife.  The bud came off perfectly but when making the horizontal cut on the root stock I cut way too deep and the stem broke in half.  The rootstock was only about 1/4" thick or less so I am waiting for the rest of my stock seedlings to grow before I try it again.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:13:28 PM »
Part 2 - BUDDING TIME
Budding can be done throughout the year as long as bark is slipping.  The rootstock should have a caliper at least the size of a pencil 1/4 inch, anything smaller will flush slowly and have stunted growth.  The budding should be a minimum of at least 6 inches above the soil.  Budded lower will have greater potential for Phytophthora infection.  Nurseries producing trees in greenhouses generally bud from early spring through summer. All implements used in budwood collection and budding should be sterilized with a 10% sodium hypochlorite (household bleach) solution to eradicate any mechanically transmissible viroids, bacteria, or fungal pathogens. - Milllet
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:39:28 PM by Millet »

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 11:10:36 PM »
I haven't had a lot of luck budding in 90F+ summer heat here near Houston. Some say it is possible.

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 09:36:07 PM »
One thing that was learned from Fletcher Granberry in 1969 was to do the fall budding in the fall after the daytime temp had dropped below 85 degrees F. The first good rain after labor day. Met him in 1969 and he died in 1973. He wrapped his buds with cotten string and coated the bud with warm wax. He banked the bud with good sandy soil Thanksgiving, uncovered the bud Good Friday and topped the plant about an inch above the bud. The plants were sold in early November for $1.00 each. The complete row  was sold and had to dug and gone from his place by November 10th. If the plants froze they would freeze on the buyer and not the grower. He sold very nice field grown plants.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »
Part 3 - Budwood Collection.
Budwood is generally collected from the shoot behind the current growth flush, or from the current growth flush AFTER it has begun to harden - mature. In any case, the wood should be straight, rounded, and as near in diameter to the rootstock seedling as possible.  It should be fully developed with mature leaves.  The bark should be tender, green, and not woody.  A good indicator of proper maturity is a few longitudinal gray lines on the green bark.  The buds in the leaf axils should be well formed.  The sticks should be trimmed after harvest to 8 to 10 inches long, and the leaves should be removed leaving the petioles attached to the stick to protect the bud. It is important to clip the leaves rather than strip them in order to prevent bark tears and other jagged injuries that will be susceptible to disease.  The two blind buds (insufficiently developed buds) at the base should be removed.  Young recently hardened rounded buds are the first to grow out and will generate the best take. Wash the budwood with running water first, then sterilize it in a 10% household bleach solution for 60 seconds, to eradicate any mechanically transmissible viroids, bacteria or fungal pathogens.  If you are not going to use the budwood right away, air dry the budwood on a rack for no more than 15 minutes, seal it in a plastic bag and store it at 40-F. Inspect the bag frequently for condensation, if there is more than a fine mist, dry the inside of the bag with paper towels.  - Millet

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 01:20:47 PM »
Great thread.

I also bend and tie the rootstock branch down to the side of the pot to help push the graft.  It redistributes the auxins.....apical dominance thingie.

markt

• USA, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »
I like budding over grafting, but now I just opt for the cleft graft if I have the wood. So much easier and you can tell if the scion is taking better as well.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 11:41:50 PM »
I like budding over grafting, but now I just opt for the cleft graft if I have the wood. So much easier and you can tell if the scion is taking better as well.

Really? I've never had much luck with cleft grafting citrus. I budded about 25 rootstocks yesterday as we had a cool front come thru and it wasn't 95F as usual. I use clear budding tape so it is easy to see whether the bud is still alive. Doesn't matter in the fall as I leave the bud covered until spring.

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 12:47:04 AM »
T-budding is much faster however cleft grafting and whip and tongue works equally as well and gives a much straighter trunk without the off set, just takes more time.

Blake Branch

• Manor, GA, USA USDA zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »
I've started substituting sodium dicloroisocyanurate (NaDCC) for the sodium hypochlorite. It's the active ingredient of Comet cleaner and is used in swimming pools also.  Compared to bleach, it has just as much free chlorine as the sodium hypochlorite mix but it works at a pH that is much safer for plant tissues and for bare human hands (6.0-6.5 PH compared to 8.0-8.5 for bleach).  You can find it in some pool supply stores and laboratory suppliers.  I buy mine from a lab supply company and it only takes 3 grams of NaDCC per liter of water to get the same concentration of free chlorine as a 10% bleach solution.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk